WR #1

Old Guy

1 minute ago, StatKing said:

Im deluding myself into believing Cobb discovered the fountain of youth this summer and is about to have a 1200 yard season.

Yes, that isn't happening. If it happens then Rodgers is forcing him the ball and we're worse off for it. 

3 minutes ago, VegasDan said:

It's not that we were 7-0 without Adams. What i saw is Rodgers playing better in those games.

Here is what I found:

2020.  Weeks 3,4. QBR. 124.9/147.5. QBR 2020 121.5

2019 weeks 5-8 QBR 129/158.3/90/85.2 (Ave 115.6) Season QBR 97.6

I know it's a small sample size, but I am going from my eye test as well. Although this may be offset by my marginal memory capacity.

Now, I believe Adams is the best WR the Packers have had in my lifetime. And I am fairly old. But I think AR relied too heavily on him. Someone posted all the pictures from the Tampa PO loss of plays where someone other than Adams was open and AR did not throw it.  Had he made those throws I think we win.

Forcing AR to spread the ball around makes AR a better QB.   

AR to DA is the all time greatest Packer combo.  They were amazing together but AR relied too much on it.

The drop in WR talent will not hurt as most pundits have stated.

Adams is not and never will be better than Sterling Sharpe. If he didn't have a career ending injury I'm almost certain he would be considered a consensus top 10 WR. His numbers in todays league would be insane.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, StatKing said:

Adams is not and never will be better than Sterling Sharpe. If he didn't have a career ending injury I'm almost certain he would be considered a consensus top 10 WR. His numbers in todays league would be insane.

Different eras, but look at the stats.  Sharpe vs. Adams.  7 years for Sharpe.  8 for Adams.

Sharpe:  112 games played, 112 games started.  595 receptions, 8134 yards.  65 TD's.  He got a lot of QB's, best he had was young Favre.

Adams:  116 games played, 109 games started.  669 receptions, 8121 yards.  73 TD's.  He got prime Rodgers.

What Sharpe did back then was amazing.

What Adams did his last 4 years was amazing.  

It was super fun to watch them both.  Where they land on an all time GB Wr list?  That is debatable.  I'll take Sharpe as the best I've seen, if pressed.  But Adams is very, very close behind.

And each should be behind Hutson.  

Hutson:  116 games played.  60 games started.  488 receptions, 7991 yards.  99Td's.  Unreal for his era of football.

Hutson.  Sharpe.  Adams.  Nelson.  Freeman.  Jennings.    Not looking up Lofton, but he belongs in there somewhere too.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Different eras, but look at the stats.  Sharpe vs. Adams.  7 years for Sharpe.  8 for Adams.

Sharpe:  112 games played, 112 games started.  595 receptions, 8134 yards.  65 TD's.  He got a lot of QB's, best he had was young Favre.

Adams:  116 games played, 109 games started.  669 receptions, 8121 yards.  73 TD's.  He got prime Rodgers.

It was super fun to watch them both.  Where they land on an all time GB Wr list?  That is debatable.  I'll take Sharpe as the best I've seen, if pressed.  But Adams is very, very close behind.

Hutson:  116 games played.  60 games started.  488 receptions, 7991 yards.  99Td's.  Unreal for his era of football.

Hutson.  Sharpe.  Adams.  Nelson.  Freeman.  Jennings.    Not looking up Lofton, but he belongs in there somewhere too.

There are probably a lot of people on here that were not even born yet when Lofton played, but he was the best WR to play for the Packers in my lifetime. Hutson stands alone at the top because of the ridicules stats he put up: Hutson - Lofton - Sharpe - Adams - Nelson. 

Edited by R T
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, R T said:

There are probably a lot of people on here that were not even born yet when Lofton played, but he was the best WR to play for the Packers in my lifetime. Hutson stands alone at the top because of the ridicules stats he put up: Hutson - Lofton - Sharpe - Adams - Nelson. 

I was really young when Lofton was playing for the Packers.  I can't really comment on where he would land.  But if you want him at #2, I won't fight you on it.

#1 shouldn't even be up for debate.

• Like 1

What does WR1 even mean anyway ?

Different plays naturally have a different preferred receiver anyway. WR1 is probably the guy up against the defence CB1. Odds are most teams CB1 will be better than our receiver so you don't really want to go in that direction. So most of the time , my preferred target wouldn't be the guy considered WR1 anyway*

Assuming one of  our receivers doesn't break out into an elite guy. 

This is why I'm not convinced Lazard bumped to WR1 doesn't mean a major bump in his stats. If he is being covered by the defence shutdown corner I'm not looking that way.

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I was really young when Lofton was playing for the Packers.  I can't really comment on where he would land.  But if you want him at #2, I won't fight you on it.

#1 shouldn't even be up for debate.

Lofton played in 233 games, had 764 receptions for 14004 yards and 75 TDs.  Nine of his 15 seasons he played in GB.  He played mostly in the late 70s and 80s and these kinds of numbers in that era are ridiculous and he played on some crappy teams in GB at the time.  I believe both he and Sharpe would absolutely thrive in today's game.

• Like 1

To me a WR#1 is a guy who is so good he's the guy who every week opponents will focus on stopping, or at least controlling. Adams was an obvious #1. Right now I don't see a #1 on the Packers. Watkins could be a #1 if he could stay healthy. Packers drafted Watson to be a #1 eventually, but that rarely happens with rookies. Chase and Jefferson being notable recent exceptions. 

8 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Sure it's a different era, but we've been running essentially the same offense since Holmgren arrived in 1992, so I think its more than fair to compare them.

If anything those numbers being so close makes Adams look worse. He never had to worry about getting decapitated every time he goes across the middle like Sharpe did and he's had the benefit of playing in a league that values 3+ WR sets more than ever which allowed him to get more opportunities with the ball in space than Sharpe ever had. 

I love me some Davante Adams and wish we could have kept him this off season but I dont think it's even close between him and Sterling.

13 hours ago, R T said:

I saw Lofton. He was great and underrated. It’s close, but I’d put Sharpe ahead of him. To me those guys are both clearly ahead of Adams. Adams would be the 3rd. Driver was consistently good, never elite. Jordy at his best was 4th. Jennings was underrated, and would probably be in contention for #4 of he had stayed in GB.

1a) Sharpe

1b) Lofton

3) Adams

4) Nelson

5a) Driver

5b) Jennings

Edited by TheEagle

14 hours ago, StatKing said:

Sure it's a different era, but we've been running essentially the same offense since Holmgren arrived in 1992, so I think its more than fair to compare them.

No they really haven't been. Sherman took significant steps away from the WCO tree, and McCarthy did too, he was from the Air Coryell line. LaFluer is definitely not running much resembling a WCO either.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, StatKing said:

I love me some Davante Adams and wish we could have kept him this off season but I dont think it's even close between him and Sterling.

I won't fight yah on anything you feel about Adams vs. Sharpe.

I do find it ironic, though, that Sharpe will not make the HOF.  Adams very well should.

Longevity.  And that is too bad.  Sterling was amazing.