49ers OTAs Thread

49erurtaza

3 hours ago, clarkfn2284 said:

Pat McAfee isn't even close to the situation and just regurgitated what others have said without any context. He is more of a sensationalist than any media member out there. He gets a pass because he was a former player and is wildly entertaining as a whole, but Pat isn't in a position to really talk about any of it unless he talks to the people involved.

He can at least speak from the position of a player who has had to deal with reporters for years. So it's not surprising he'll take the side of the player in this. 

On one hand, reporters are allowed to criticise players, and players make big bucks, so they gotta to deal with some of that crap. On the other hand, being paid big bucks is already a lot of pressure for lots of them, and at some point, they also don't have to take any more abuse than what they can handle. There's a breaking point, and Kinlaw reached his. All the players understand that and will probably side with him. And on the other side, not all reporters will side with Cohn. 

But really, I was thinking about it again this morning: what really is the scandal here? If Kinlaw had just tried to intimidate Grant and flipped off his hat, and nothing else had happen, there might have been some story, but it would have died down after 45 minutes. The real attention grabbing thing in this whole story is Grant practically bragging about making Kinlaw lose his cool and insinuating he'd gladly sue a player he himself provoked in order to retire a rich man. If Grant doesn't say any of that, there's no story. And in the end, he got tons of free publicity out of it. But if he gets hate from some fans, some players and some media for it, he deserves it just as much as the new followers he got, because it's a situation he created entirely.

• Like 1

Off-topic maybe, but an underrated feature of Twitter is the ability to mute terms like "Grant" and "Cohn" and "Grant Cohn" along with the ability to mute accounts.

Only downside appears to be that I'm seeing fewer tweets about Ulysses Grant now. That's the price of freedom, I guess.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Off-topic maybe, but an underrated feature of Twitter is the ability to mute terms like "Grant" and "Cohn" and "Grant Cohn" along with the ability to mute accounts.

Only downside appears to be that I'm seeing fewer tweets about Ulysses Grant now. That's the price of freedom, I guess.

And I don't know how Larry Grant looked in OTAs this year. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

We’ve had the devil’s own day, haven’t we? 
Yes. Lick ‘me tomorrow though.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, adamq said:

I don't know or care what's happening with Kinlaw and Cohn... what's going on at OTAs? Specifically would like info on the OL and DBs!

Only one practice has been available to the media. But supposedly Lance looked great on Thursday and the coaching staff has been impressed with his progress. You can't tell anything about the OL in these non-padded practices. Moore and Banks were playing the guard spots with the first team with Brunskill not practicing. 

Hufanga looks like the favorite to start at safety opposite of Ward. Dennard played the NB on the first team but that position will have competition throughout training camp. 

• Like 1

PFF power rankings have us #9 and of course, "Jimmy G may very well be the starter!" 

9. SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

One of the few teams that have a real chance of winning a championship without an elite quarterback, the 49ers have the ability to dominate because of Kyle Shanahan’s offense and the playmakers within it. Jimmy Garoppolo is still on the roster and may very well be the starter again this season. His play has proven to be good enough for this team to win when he is healthy, and Trey Lance may represent the contingency plan for the likely injury to Garoppolo rather than the 2022 starter.

Whole lot of reporters & analysts losing credibility with the "Niners are taking Mac at #3" and  Niners don't have belief in Lance cuz Jimmy G is still on the roster" takes

Watch the games, read/watch some detailed breakdowns before/after the games for analysis, and thats about it for me. Most everything else is just filler 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, 9erFreak77 said:

Trey Lance will be the starter ……im sick of these articles.

Same here, tired of the Jimmy will be starter, or news pundits saying keep Jimmy cause Trey aint ready from what they've heard, or has been put out there, which I still don't get, all the players say he looks really good, this is Trey's team now IMO.

IF Verrett makes it out of camp healthy and plays like he always does....Then does he start on the outside or are the starters on the outside locked up with Ward/Moseley? You can't count on Verrett staying healthy, but man can you really put him on the bench when he IS healthy and playing top level ball? 

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

IF Verrett makes it out of camp healthy and plays like he always does....Then does he start on the outside or are the starters on the outside locked up with Ward/Moseley? You can't count on Verrett staying healthy, but man can you really put him on the bench when he IS healthy and playing top level ball? 

I mean, one of Varrett or Moseley would start at nickel then. Prolly Moseley because I think he could handle the physicality of being the force defender in the run game so often and because Varrett is just a better cover guy overall? Either way, that very unlikely case is pure gravy rather than a problem.

5 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I mean, one of Varrett or Moseley would start at nickel then. Prolly Moseley because I think he could handle the physicality of being the force defender in the run game so often and because Varrett is just a better cover guy overall? Either way, that very unlikely case is pure gravy rather than a problem.

That's what I would suggest. Heck, I suggested Thomas/Ward on the outside with Moseley inside when they are in nickel defense. 

But let's see how Verrett looks in camp. He seems to believe he will be ready and was on the field today which was good to see.