I don't understand why Baker gets so much hate

Championshiporbust

from a football prospective he's a good qb when things are going well. But when things are going bad and he has to elevate those around him he falls short. Plus he’s short…. 

Off the field he has a HOFers personality with mid level qb results. 

• Like 1

I don't think he has ever fit anyone's definition of a good QB.

You can make excuses about his different coaches or injuries or whatever but you can't pretend he was ever good.

He has been surrounded by talent on offense. Very good O-line, great running games, and decent to good pass catchers.

He was the number 1 overall pick and his ranking in QB rating has been:

• 19th
  • 31st
  • 15th
  • 27th

Trent Dilfer's 1st 4 years as a full time starter:

• 30th
  • 30th
  • 12th
  • 21st

When the 1st overall pick is a bit better than a Trent Dilfer, its a problem.

Add in his turd personality and what's not to love?

Baker is a 1st overall pick who pretends like he's an underdog, and he's not nearly good enough to be as cocky as he is. It's a weird and very contradictory identity that he's created for himself.

I suppose he's a fine human, and he's a replacement level QB

None of the above makes him super worthy of all the attention he gets

• Like 2

Part of it is certainly his personality.

But there has also been momentum toward not paying a mediocre QB just because your team is winning games. I wanted the Rams to do this with Goff, and I think that and the Wentz situation with Philly probably hit home with some NFL front offices.

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Never understood why young players would even consider getting married as they enter the NFL, as if they are actually going to stay faithful.    Sure, a few might....but most have no chance and just open themselves up to huge alimony payments....which Im sure most of the women are acutely aware of and even anticipating.

8 minutes ago, 43M said:

Never understood why young players would even consider getting married as they enter the NFL, as if they are actually going to stay faithful.    Sure, a few might....but most have no chance and just open themselves up to huge alimony payments....which Im sure most of the women are acutely aware of and even anticipating.

I don't understand why any level headed women would even agree to get married to a player who is entering the NFL either. They have to know their significant other (who is still young) is going to have to attend various different parties and whatnot with several other women throwing themselves on said player. The level of temptation is very high and it takes a special person to avoid putting themselves in those situations.  

It seems like common sense to me but hey...to each their own I guess.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I don't understand why any level headed women would even agree to get married to a player who is entering the NFL either. They have to know their significant other (who is still young) is going to have to attend various different parties and whatnot with several other women throwing themselves on said player. The level of temptation is very high and it takes a special person to avoid putting themselves in those situations.  

I agree if youre talking about a girl who is ACTUALLY looking for love.

But I guarantee alot of them are smart enough to understand that, as long as she gets a ring on that finger, she is pretty much set for life, regardless of whether the marriage lasts.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 43M said:

8 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

7 minutes ago, 43M said:

I agree if youre talking about a girl who is ACTUALLY looking for love.

But I guarantee alot of them are smart enough to understand that, as long as she gets a ring on that finger, she is pretty much set for life, regardless of whether the marriage lasts.

well.. this took a gross turn for no reason

Don't get me wrong, I think people in general should wait a while to get married for maturity reasons

But to just make a blatant assumption that full grown men are incapable of being faithful + women are just happy to marry rich, even if the man is unfaithful is just offensive to every party involved.

• Like 3

I don't think he gets hated, but his circumstances make it hard for teams to made a deal for him. He's just stuck. 18.5 million for a quarterback you aren't sure about is a bad investment. If he hit free agency there would be no shortage of suitors. 

14 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

For what it may be worth, last summer I was criticized for daring to say that Derrick Carr might be as good as Baker Mayfield. 

J

Yeah we can not let Browns fans off the hook for preaching that Baker was a borderline top 10 QB.

26 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah we can not let Browns fans off the hook for preaching that Baker was a borderline top 10 QB.

If Mayfield would shut up and played football he might he may actually be that, along with Kyler Murrray, Mac Jones, and the ghost of Ben Roethlisberger. 

He is a excellent business man he makes more money then the Browns. 

2nd they love OBJ more than Mayfield 

To love Mayfield means that you have to hate Berry.

That is why they love the wr that talked Von Miller out of coming to the Browns. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SkippyX said:

I don't think he has ever fit anyone's definition of a good QB.

You can make excuses about his different coaches or injuries or whatever but you can't pretend he was ever good.

He has been surrounded by talent on offense. Very good O-line, great running games, and decent to good pass catchers.

He was the number 1 overall pick and his ranking in QB rating has been:

• 19th
  • 31st
  • 15th
  • 27th

Trent Dilfer's 1st 4 years as a full time starter:

• 30th
  • 30th
  • 12th
  • 21st

When the 1st overall pick is a bit better than a Trent Dilfer, its a problem.

Add in his turd personality and what's not to love?

Wrong when he put 40 plus on dallas everyone thought he was a top 5 qb.

When he put 45 plus on the Steelers

Last year 90 percent of are board thought he would win north of his 12 win total.