I don't understand why Baker gets so much hate

Championshiporbust

Imo Baker acts like he is better than what his play really is. Yes he might be really that good but he hasnt shown it. Even last season, he knew he was really hurt and shouldnt be playing. Yet he acted like it was his call on whether or not he was going to play. He played continue to literally cost his team games and then at the end of the season was saying how he put his body on the line knowing he was hurt which wasnt a smart move. Like duh everyone knew it wasnt a smart move. Being tough is great, but being smart is even better. 

Again he cost his team plenty of games and last season you can make a case the Browns had the best roster in the league to go along with a top 10 head coach in terms of offensive mind. All they needed was good QB play. They didnt need elite QB play. They had a solid backup in Keenum who knew and thrived in Stefanski system in Minnesota. All Baker had to do was sit out weeks to get somewhat better in health and come back and play decently and who knows if the Browns couldve made the playoffs and maybe scared some teams in the playoffs. But Baker ego got in the way. He literally turned guys like OBJ and Landry into JAGs even though we know that they arent. And I think to sum up Baker was that Packers game. The Browns shouldve beat the Packers but Baker literally self-destructed and cost the team that game.

So yes I think he get so much hate bc of how he acts and I dont even blame the commercials. There are athletes who get commercials before being really established as one of the guys in the league. Baker was the 1st overall pick so him getting commercials isnt an issue with me. Its how he acts. Again he acts like he is a top 3-5 QB in the league when his play suggest he is a bottom 5-10 QB in the league.

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

Nah, you can give a lot of that blame to Jimmy (though everyone else certainly deserves a share of it too - it's not all on Jimmy). He was straight dreadful in the final quarter. You don't really see it in the game broadcast, but there are multiple articles and videos out there that broke down how awful he was in the 4th quarter when you see the coaches tape. It's pretty funny. He obviously missed the big time throw to Sanders, but there were a ton of times he simply didn't throw it to the guy who was wide open.  

That's a little harsh. As I recall two passes were tipped at LOS.

Except for a few plays by Deebo, the Chiefs controlled the running game all the way through. In the 4th quarter the pass pressure was cranked up. Even Brady folds under pressure.

21 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

That's a little harsh. As I recall two passes were tipped at LOS.

Honestly, I'm not even sure those are included. Hard to fault him for either one (he did have a wide open deebo on one of them, but it was a bubble and I can't blame him for going to kittle who had beaten his man inside). Do a google search on all the times Jimmy missed throws to kittle in the super bowl. He left a lot on the field

21 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Except for a few plays by Deebo, the Chiefs controlled the running game all the way through. In the 4th quarter the pass pressure was cranked up. Even Brady folds under pressure.

Eh, Mostert and Coleman averaged over 5 yards per carry, almost half a yard higher than the 49ers' average throughout the season.  I wouldn't say that the Chiefs controlled the running game. 

The narrative since that super bowl has largely been that Shanny "abandoned the run" again. Not a take I agree with (the only real questionable decision was a 2nd and 5 where they threw it, but it was a pretty typical playcall for them throughout the game and nobody ever complains about them throwing it on the previous second 5 where it picked up 12 yards) because it was so effective. 

Again, that's not to say that he deserves all the blame. But he wasn't good and he can wear that. His playoff performances have generally been some of the worst in NFL history so far in his career given the sample size and everything. 

I dont think he's awful but you sure do see his face a lot for a guy who hasn't done a damn thing in the league. I don't mind his cocky attitude but he has to back it up with his play and for the most part he hasn't.

If he's gonna run his mouth like he does then he atleast needs to be consistent about it. When things are going well he's more than willing to let everyone know about it, when they aren't he tries to put on this faux humble act and it makes him look like nothing but a fake.

Edited by StatKing

It's because people hated him coming out and doubted him. People hate to be wrong so they look for everything they can to support what they want to believe.

All Baker did in his first three seasons were break the NFL rookie passing record (in fewer games than a full season--seriously how petty that folks think a good counterargument is that the record was again broken and Baker's rookie season is now only the SECOND BEST ROOKIE PASSING SEASON EVER) on a team that was absolute trash when he got there and take the Browns back to the post-season and beat the Steelers to actually advance.

That said, I agree with the naysayers who point to Baker sometimes being a net-negative to the team's success, and I have legitimate questions as to the real story of what went on in that locker room. I'd like to have a clearer picture. There seem to be a lot of critiques on Baker the person, though there isn't much concrete evidence as of right now and yet the public are so into endless pot shots. Big agreement: I want to know if Baker cheated on his wife or not. It seems like it could easily be true or easily be false from that girl; she had a weird sleazy way-too-comfortable energy when getting interviewed. She struck me as dishonest, but I was also inclined to believe he did it just because they motivation to do that seems far-fetched and thus I would come in suspicious that he did it. 

Last year was a solid litmus test for how fruitless this conversation thread has been and really a rational conversation about Baker with most folks is: whether one believes Baker is a franchise guy or not, using last year where he was falling apart as anything but evidence of him having heart--and idiot Stefanski should have actually acted like a coach and pulled him when he clearly wasn't able to play through all those injuries.

It's sad that this thread even has to be made. Baker may or may not be the guy going forward--to be seen--but some of the arguments used against him are so stupid and disregard a lot of reasonable takes (like how he had different coaches every season of his three healthy seasons and on a rebuild with no talent when he went off as a rookie).

I'll add that the arguments about happy feet, rolling out too early, being inconsistent, holding the ball too long, hero ball at times etc., those are good arguments. But a huge amount of crap is about stuff that y'all wouldn't even care about with another guy. If the majority are using unfair critiques--we're apparently still doing the commercials argument 🤷--then we're just in some sort of weird distortion of reality and not actually having a conversation that is about getting to the truth. I just don't understand why some can't let go of arguments (like believing Baker is special and gets to control whether he's pulled by the coach).

And I only hear it going one way, despite the impression from several that there is a pocket of Baker extremists out there, even though no one has met one. There are no unreasonable pro-Baker takes going around, though it's popular to act like there are. All us apparent Baker homers are saying is that he's shown a lot of promise but has questions, that we wouldn't have cut bait so quickly, especially for who they went with and the compensation. We don't think it'll go well for the Browns and that it was a bad idea, but we'll see. Those are the "hot takes of Baker apologists". Some of us believed before last year that Baker could be a top 8-10 QB. Then he got injured in several places, all supposedly easy to heal from but still several so we'll see. He might not even play this season if the Browns hold him. 

TL;DR cult of personality to irrationally hate Baker because reasons

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

the hatred is because he is a cocky prick and always has been.. 

Honestly, this is a reasonable take. He has a certain type of personality that isn't for everyone. I happen to like it but could also see how some would see him that way. 

15 hours ago, Tk3 said:

well.. this took a gross turn for no reason

Don't get me wrong, I think people in general should wait a while to get married for maturity reasons

But to just make a blatant assumption that full grown men are incapable of being faithful + women are just happy to marry rich, even if the man is unfaithful is just offensive to every party involved.

These are not yet full grown men and women (who have already experienced the "wild young life" for lack of better words and are ready to settle down) that were talking about here. We're referencing young cats who still have that dorm-room-college-and-are-still-trying-live-their-lives mentality while also still trying to figure out life as a whole. Factor in money and this escalates 10 fold.

And make no mistake, some will still keep that same mentality even at later stages in life/growth, some even damn near forever.  Like 43 said in other words, if you can't see that then you need to get out more instead of being so offended by it.

Edited by JAF-N72EX

3 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

It's because people hated him coming out and doubted him. People hate to be wrong so they look for everything they can to support what they want to believe.

Some of us didn't even like him coming out college for legit reasons and a lot of those same reasons proved to be true which played in a big part in doubting him.

I personally didn't care for the entire 2018 QB class and I've said this on many occasions. I didn't like Mitch at all and I hated the Bears for it. The reasons why myself and others proved to be true. I didn't' like Watson either for different reasons and he proved me wrong. I said before the draft that Mayfield had the best chance to succeed but as soon as I found out his arrogant ego was being paired with Todd Haley's ego I questioned if it would work. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

The point is, it has nothing to do with people "trying to be right" as much it is that people already had reserved issues about Baker and all he did was prove them right.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

So crazy to see Browns nation turn on the dude they were pimping as an elite player a few months ago, lmao.

He’s been the most polarizing guy they’ve had in a decade. I don’t think you understand that half of Browns fans were not Baker fans.

• Like 1