Special Teams

A topic that has not been discussed is the significant upgrades on special teams!  Berry has done an outstanding job signing free agents and draft picks relative to special teams.  Acquiring Grant as kick returner and wr, Bojorquez as punter, drafting York, and drafting a strong group of rookies who will start off as special teams players.  This group are all rated top 5 selections.  Add Harrison, Taki, Toggai, and others makes a strong special teams unit.  Last year the Browns were bottom five and this year they should be top five.  Upgrading special teams is very important if Browns are to make a super bowl run.  Hopefully York is the real deal as he is one of the keys to success.  What do you think?

• Like 2

I will say this. Last year's shortcomings on ST were NOT due to coaching in my mind. I think Coach Priefer is very detailed and uses sound schemes. The same cannot be said for his predecessors. Amos Jones units were just lost, and Tabor employed some schemes that defied logical thought.

Last year was a collision of injuries and guys surprisingly underperforming. Berry's first offseason - the focus was on the offense. Lasdt year, it was the defense's turn. This year, special teams was the focus. I agree - now that the offensive and defensive lineups are pretty much set - guys will realize their path to playing time will be through special teams.

We will be better this year.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

My only worry is grant has said in interviews he’s not going to do touchbacks. I get he’s a great returner but that could go very wrong. 

Yeah, if you bring it out you’d better get back to the 25 about 90% of the time or it’s time to start taking a knee or find someone who will. 

22 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

My only worry is grant has said in interviews he’s not going to do touchbacks. I get he’s a great returner but that could go very wrong. 

Yes and no, on one hand great returners usually dont fair catch and thats what springs them for huge returns. I dont ever remember Hester fair catching, but on the other hand it leaves you wide open to get killed. However, he has 2 Fumbles lost and 6 return TDs in his career. Ill take a that 3:1 ratio

18 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yes and no, on one hand great returners usually dont fair catch and thats what springs them for huge returns. I dont ever remember Hester fair catching, but on the other hand it leaves you wide open to get killed. However, he has 2 Fumbles lost and 6 return TDs in his career. Ill take a that 3:1 ratio

I’m not so much worried about the fumbles as I am lost field position.  Eff around and bring out a deep kick and now we’re staring on the 12 or some ish for no good reason.

• 2 months later...

I am surprised this topic has had no traction.  By far this group has been significantly improved at every level.  Best kicker in draft, best punter in free agency, best punt/kick returner in free agency, 8 defensive rookies in the draft that will be assigned special teams, and one of the best special teams coach in the league.  Bottom line special teams wins close games and Browns are going from worst special teams to best.  What is not to like?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, #32 said:

I am surprised this topic has had no traction.  By far this group has been significantly improved at every level.  Best kicker in draft, best punter in free agency, best punt/kick returner in free agency, 8 defensive rookies in the draft that will be assigned special teams, and one of the best special teams coach in the league.  Bottom line special teams wins close games and Browns are going from worst special teams to best.  What is not to like?

Special Teams while important, is not a 'sexy' topic!  I do agree with most of the above statements, and think we should be improved by a mile.