2K22: TE and RB

onejayhawk

There is a WR thread. Sorting things behind Travis Kelce and Clyde Edwards-Hellaire is nearly as unsettled. FB is settled with only Michael Burton.

RB: Choose three or four.

• Clyde Edwards-Helaire - Clearly a bigger role is expected
  • Brenden Knox - Who?
  • Derrick Gore - He had flashes but only a few
  • Ronald Jones - The FA signing
  • Isiah Pacheco - 7th round pick who can pass block He has 4.3 speed and an attitude
  • Tayon Fleet-Davis - Cool name
  • Jerrion Ealy - UDFA who has experience returning kicks and punts

TE: Choose four

• Travis Kelce - Will be 33. Just a year younger than Gronk
  • Noah Gray - Solid rookie season. Will he step up
  • Mark Vital - College basketball PF on a national champion. He's had 9 months to train and learn the system
  • Matt Bushman - Who?
  • Jordan Franks - Who  #2?
  • Jody Fortson - Made the team last year. Great attitude and good hands
  • Blake Bell - Pure blocker but good at it. Core ST player
  • Kehinde Oginni - Cool name

One or more of the no-name players may make the roster as ST players

• 2 weeks later...

One guy with a guaranteed roster slot is CEH. However, Clyde has never really shown the sort of impact we had hoped when he was drafted. He has been working to expand his repertoire. The retooled offense can use an underneath weapon. 
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/will_clyde_edwards_helaire_finally_become_receiving_focal_point/s1_16880_37558600

On 5/26/2022 at 10:39 AM, onejayhawk said:

There is a WR thread. Sorting things behind Travis Kelce and Clyde Edwards-Hellaire is nearly as unsettled. FB is settled with only Michael Burton.

RB: Choose three or four.

• Derrick Gore - He had flashes but only a few
  • Ronald Jones - The FA signing
  • Isiah Pacheco - 7th round pick who can pass block He has 4.3 speed and an attitude
  • Tayon Fleet-Davis - Cool name

TE: Choose four

• Travis Kelce - Will be 33. Just a year younger than Gronk
  • Noah Gray - Solid rookie season. Will he step up
  • Mark Vital - College basketball PF on a national champion. He's had 9 months to train and learn the system
  • Jody Fortson - Made the team last year. Great attitude and good hands

Dats may list

Why Vital and Fleet-Davis?

If Bell is not going to get a job I suggest that it will be Matt Bushman. The team needs a blocking TE. The four you selected are all receivers.

Likewise, if there is a 4th RB it will likely be primarily for ST. Pacheco will almost certainly get a look at KR but Ealy has experience in both PR and KR. 

PFF ranked the RB almost at the bottom of the league, #30.

Ron Jones ranks equal to CEH as a rusher, but lower in broken tackles and receiving. The good news is that both Clyde and RJ are healthy again and the OL is fully settled. I am not saying that we should expect big things but do expect more. Isaiah Pacheco's speed may make an interesting addition. If nothing else, he brings an extra blocker for Mahomes.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/6/8/23160277/pff-ranks-chiefs-running-back-group-among-the-leagues-worst

Edited by onejayhawk

More on Clyde. He has not been healthy in his two years with the team and this article covers that. The headline talks about timing. Is it tiee for Clyde Edwards-Hellaire to come into his own as an NFL star RB?
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/6/10/23161680/for-chiefs-running-back-cylde-edwards-helaire-timing-is-the-key-word-in-lead-up-to-2022-season

As noted in the acquisition thread, the Chiefs re-signed Jerick McKinnon. This article goes into the why of the deal. It's worth noting that McKinnon is not the only experienced player that the Chiefs waited until after OTA/minicamp to sign.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2022/06/17/kansas-city-chiefs-andy-reid-re-signing-jerick-mckinnon-because-he-has-juice-left/

My take is that this is a depth move. I still think the Chiefs keep three RB and a FB, likely Clyde, RonJ, and Pacheco.

McKinnon will get a shot at RonJ's spot but he's clearly lower on the depth chart now. Pacheco is mostly my feeling that his skills as a QB protector a almost unique and that he can play ST. If he can learn to catch the ball, he could hang around for several years. 

Edited by onejayhawk

Now that minicamp is over, we can note a couple of things.

• Since it is minimal contact, receivers shine. In that vein TE Jordan Franks has turned heads. He has a real chance of making at least the practice roster.
  • When we get to camp, Matt Bushman, a 2nd year player from the Raiders, is worth watching. He's old for a 2nd year guy having served a Mormon mission before his football career at BYU. His potential role is blocking TE and ST player, ie Blake Bell's job.
  • A wrap article points out that McKinnon has a similar skillset to Pacheco's, ie fast and skilled as a receiver/blocker in the passing game. I happen to disagree, but it does point to Pacheco's potential role as a RB.
  • The team it is bringing in former end-of-roster players, McKinnon and Chris Lammons so far, now that camp is over. They had nothing to show in non-contact drills and their experience will be valuable in July and August.
  • The number of RB retained is still up in the air. The team might go with either three or four, plus a FB.

• 2 weeks later...

Noah Gray was useful last season, but not impactful. Will that change? This article covers a couple of last season's rookies, including Gray. He's an important ST player in addition to being a solid motion blocker, So his spot on the roster is probably solid, but we can hope for more production.  
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/how_noah_gray_and_cornell_powell_can_break_through_in_year_two/s1_16631_37622281

Here is one on both Gray and Jody Fortson. These two are sort of a secret weapon. 
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/film_review_will_noah_gray_or_jody_fortson_break_out_in_2022/s1_16631_37656440

Another on just Fortson. My reservation is that the two are very different as receivers. Fortson excels at the downfield stuff while Gray is closer to the line of scrimmage. Both are reported to be pretty good blockers, particularly in space. I think they become 2A and 2B.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/can_jody_fortson_claim_chiefs_second_tight_end_spot/s1_16880_37669440

Edited by onejayhawk

• 1 month later...

If you look at this TE depth chart, things seem to be fixed--Kelce, Bell, Gray, Fortson--except the injury bug is biting. If Bell or Fortson is PUP for game #1, who will step up. Bell is truly the Belldozer, ie the only inline blocking TE on the roster. Would the team go without one? Is Matt Bushman orJordan Franks the next man up? This could get interesting. One thing is for certain, the depth is amazingly better than 2020. Fortson or Gray would have been a revelation on that team.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/chiefs_2022_53_man_roster_prediction_tight_ends/s1_16880_37787871

The Pacheco hype train is rolling. The question is not if you should get on but where you should get off. Pacheco is not challenging for Clyde's job as RB1. However, he is looking better and better as RB2. We knew from the start that he was a good pass blocker. It was a major part of his role in college. What is a bit unexpected is that Pacheco seems to have excellent hands. That makes him a legit 3rd down back. We have already seen him near the goal line. Pacheco is the KR which means he makes the 53. Let's not get carried away and see him as a threat to Clyde, not yet anyway.

6 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

The Pacheco hype train is rolling. The question is not if you should get on but where you should get off.

I'm still not on. I've only watched his highlights and done some light scouting though. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it. And we definitely didn't see it the first game.

On 8/18/2022 at 8:43 PM, kingseanjohn said:

I'm still not on. I've only watched his highlights and done some light scouting though. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it. And we definitely didn't see it the first game.

The biggest thing Pacheco showed that first game is how fast he was benched. Hard to tell much from 3 touches or whatever it was, but it is an indication of how much the coaching staff values a guy, how quickly they get shoved to the bench in preseason. We haven't seen reason to buy in yet, but I do believe that the coaches have.

6 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

The biggest thing Pacheco showed that first game is how fast he was benched. Hard to tell much from 3 touches or whatever it was, but it is an indication of how much the coaching staff values a guy, how quickly they get shoved to the bench in preseason. We haven't seen reason to buy in yet, but I do believe that the coaches have.

Correct, plus he also had a KO return of 34 yards, best of the night for either team. Though he has returned punts in practice, he does not have the shiftiness you want for that. 

The touches were two carries and a reception. He caught his only target. In practice, IP is rumored to catch everything even close to him and he is a very advanced pass blocker for a rookie. The trio of draw play explosiveness, pass protection and receiving potential makes for a wall rounded 3rd down back. A month ago, 3rd down was McKinnon's job.