Browns Extend Njoku

Dawgpoun8017

54 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

So you think he would have signed anywhere else at a comparable value?

Also, If that's how you think then you better not ever question anything any front office does.

Actually, Thomas, I haven't given it a second thought.

That having been said it is amazing to me that you know what I think.

And compounding it with a hollow threat to boot?

Go curl up in a fetal position and suck a thumb.

16 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Actually, Thomas, I haven't given it a second thought.

That having been said it is amazing to me that you know what I think.

And compounding it with a hollow threat to boot?

Go curl up in a fetal position and suck a thumb.

Okay then lol... I guess you've been threatened 😄

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Also, If that's how you think then you better not ever question anything any front office does.

Maybe not, but at the same time you get paid for what you are going to do, not what you have done. Its pretty clear the FO thinks a lot more highly of Njoku than the casual fan does and knows what he can potentially bring to the table with more of a frequent role in the offense. 

Its a 2 year deal thats cheaper than the cost of franchise tagging him twice, so I bet they looked at that--they also probably know he is only going to be paid as a top 5 TE just until guys like Waller/Kelce/Kittle/Andrews ask for restructures or extensions. Similar to how Ward was the highest paid DB for a whopping 5 days until Alexander got paid.

What I also believe is that a players perceived value is often a lot different in NFL circles than it is among fan bases much of the time. So we dont really know if there was a team out there like the Bears or Jets or Panthers or Chargers or Colts or Titans that would have given Njoku a lot more than fans would believe for a 26 year old H/W/S freak coming into his prime at a shallow position in the NFL.

Also remember TE is 1 position outside of QB with the steepest learning curve. A lot of great TEs dont take off until their 3rd or 4th seasons. So now that the Browns went through the growth phase already with a young talented TE--how about we just wait and see if that tree has any fruit on it after doing all of the work to get it here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Maybe not, but at the same time you get paid for what you are going to do, not what you have done. Its pretty clear the FO thinks a lot more highly of Njoku than the casual fan does and knows what he can potentially bring to the table with more of a frequent role in the offense. 

Its a 2 year deal thats cheaper than the cost of franchise tagging him twice, so I bet they looked at that--they also probably know he is only going to be paid as a top 5 TE just until guys like Waller/Kelce/Kittle/Andrews ask for restructures or extensions. Similar to how Ward was the highest paid DB for a whopping 5 days until Alexander got paid.

What I also believe is that a players perceived value is often a lot different in NFL circles than it is among fan bases much of the time. So we dont really know if there was a team out there like the Bears or Jets or Panthers or Chargers or Colts or Titans that would have given Njoku a lot more than fans would believe for a 26 year old H/W/S freak coming into his prime at a shallow position in the NFL.

Also remember TE is 1 position outside of QB with the steepest learning curve. A lot of great TEs dont take off until their 3rd or 4th seasons. So now that the Browns went through the growth phase already with a young talented TE--how about we just wait and see if that tree has any fruit on it after doing all of the work to get it here.

We all want him to be great, it's just that he has had opportunities and he hasn't looked like a star or a star in the making. He looked like he could be good, probably a middle of the pack starter but never anything that would be top 5 stuff.

Also, Kittle and Kelce are already ahead of him. Waller should put him at 6th though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

We all want him to be great, it's just that he has had opportunities and he hasn't looked like a star or a star in the making. He looked like he could be good, probably a middle of the pack starter but never anything that would be top 5 stuff.

Also, Kittle and Kelce are already ahead of him. Waller should put him at 6th though.

I think he has definitely flashed and that is enough to make a front offices ears perk up. I dont think its a matter of him doing nothing with opportunities, but rather him not being consistent as a young player. He has essentially been a flashy player who lacks consistency--which hypothetically should improve with time.

Waller will put him 6th, Gesiki will make him 7th, Hockenson will make him 8th, Pitts will make him 9th and Schultz might make him 10th in the next few seasons. By the time his contract is up there is a legitimate chance he isnt even a top 10 highest paid TE.....and there is only like 10-13 good TEs in the NFL.

Im just saying it looks like a overpay right now (because it is), but in 2 years time that contract is going to look completely different in terms of where it ranks.

Njoku is essentially making the same amount of money per year as Hunter Henry who is injury prone, 2 years older, has never had a receiving season over 650 yards and is half the blocker Njoku is...so it could be worse lol

You also want to know why this analytical FO is high on him? A athletic freak who is coming into his prime years with THAT RAS score is exactly why he got paid.

david-njoku-ras-13629-1.png?resize=806,5

Edited by AkronsWitness

7 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Njoku is essentially making the same amount of money per year as Hunter Henry who is injury prone, 2 years older, has never had a receiving season over 650 yards and is half the blocker Njoku is...so it could be worse lol

Technically he has had over 650, he had 652 in 2019. Also his lowest season of the 5 he played would be Njoku's 2nd highest season.

Henry though is way overpaid. His contract doesn't reflect what his value has been. It's mostly based on hope much like Njoku's contract.

Last season Henry's value was 8.7 million, Njoku 6.4.

But hey, Njoku only counts for 3 million this year so it should be great value. A bit under 9 next season which is a fair number. The 19 million the two following years are where we need to see him earn it.

12 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Also, If that's how you think then you better not ever question anything any front office does. Or else 😐.

11 hours ago, bruceb said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSehRZdUyf4IQiwS7NcRMy

I see. Well you two carry on.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2022 at 10:13 PM, AkronsWitness said:

The reason they signed him is Because he can still make defenses guard him with a safety thus opening up Cooper.

Not sure it matters because Cooper can no longer take any of the top 30 dbs deep.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, mtmmike said:

Ok njoku is finally living up to draft status 

How is everyone feeling about extension?

At his current pace he will end up with 780 yards and 2 TD. Certainly a career year although in year 2 he was 639 and 4 TD.

He isn't a difference maker yet but that needs to be true in 2024 when he starts making the big money. Watson, Njoku, Chubb and Cooper currently would count for $113 million against the cap  in 2024. Garrett, Ward, Bitonio and Teller account for another $90 million. So 8 players would put us over $200 million so I'd expect them all to be stars even though I'm sure there will be some restructuring.

5 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

At his current pace he will end up with 780 yards and 2 TD. Certainly a career year although in year 2 he was 639 and 4 TD.

He isn't a difference maker yet but that needs to be true in 2024 when he starts making the big money. Watson, Njoku, Chubb and Cooper currently would count for $113 million against the cap  in 2024. Garrett, Ward, Bitonio and Teller account for another $90 million. So 8 players would put us over $200 million so I'd expect them all to be stars even though I'm sure there will be some restructuring.

He is at best a underrated blocking Tight end. 

But I really look for his numbers to go up under Deshaun. 

8 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Excellent point 

Pocic center is due for a huge raise

Willis will certainly get a huge raise 

Conklin will certainly get a raise

Excellent point 

Pocic center is due for a huge raise

I think they will offer him 3/22 he has sucked outside of Cleveland.

Willis will certainly get a huge raise 

They may move on. He has been pretty meh a lot.

Conklin will certainly get a raise

They will offer something like 2/20 mill imo