How long until we get "neutral-site" games in non-NFL stadiums in the US?

pf9

The International Series has been very successful.

So, when does the NFL start staging games in American stadiums that don't have a regular NFL tenant, mainly those used for college football?

I think we will just see them expand internationally first

With a 17 game schedule, it obviously works well if they got up to a point where every team was playing a neutral site game (whether that be domestic or international). 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I think we will just see them expand internationally first

With a 17 game schedule, it obviously works well if they got up to a point where every team was playing a neutral site game (whether that be domestic or international). 

Yeah I don't see the point or value of playing neutral site games domestically. With the NFL's obvious desire to expand into new, international markets I'd guess that they do 8 home/8 away and one international game for every team at some point.

• Like 2

Idk but I would prefer that they just give every team a neutral-site/international game the week before their Bye week. The fact that some teams get more home games than others in a single season kinda bothers me.

You would just need 17 international games.

You could do:

• A few games in London
  • A few games in Mexico City
  • A few games in major European Cities (Berlin, Paris, Amsterdam, etc.)
  • A game or two in Toronto
  • A game or two in South America (Rio De Janeiro)
  • A game or two in major Asian cities (Tokyo)

Considering that the NFL is trying really hard to expand their brand internationally it seems like a no brainer that they would just make the 17th game a neutral-site international game.

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, pf9 said:

The International Series has been very successful.

So, when does the NFL start staging games in American stadiums that don't have a regular NFL tenant, mainly those used for college football?

I don’t think those college football stadiums will draw nearly as much with an NFL game. Part of the allures of those venues is the home field advantage they bring to their teams - no HFA with a neutral site team, right?

2 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

Idk but I would prefer that they just give every team a neutral-site/international game the week before their Bye week. The fact that some teams get more home games than others in a single season kinda bothers me.

You would just need 17 international games.

You could do:

• A few games in London
  • A few games in Mexico City
  • A few games in major European Cities (Berlin, Paris, Amsterdam, etc.)
  • A game or two in Toronto
  • A game or two in South America (Rio De Janeiro)

Considering that the NFL is trying really hard to expand their brand internationally it seems like a no brainer that they would just make the 17th game a neutral-site international game.

Move the bye weeks from week 7-14 and you could have 2 international games every week during that span and teams would take their bye the following week.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Move the bye weeks from week 7-14 and you could have 2 international games every week during that span and teams would take their bye the following week.

I mean if it was up to me I would give each team two bye weeks and just nix another preseason game to make up the difference. (First round of byes would be something like week 4-9 second round of byes would be something like 10-15)

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 2

The next time the Bears host the Colts is 2028. It would be neat to stage that game at Notre Dame, which is within reasonable driving distance of both Chicago and Indianapolis.

If NBC is still televising ND home games in 2028, they'll want Colts-Bears at Notre Dame on their SNF slate that year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pf9 said:

The next time the Bears host the Colts is 2028. It would be neat to stage that game at Notre Dame, which is within reasonable driving distance of both Chicago and Indianapolis.

If NBC is still televising ND home games in 2028, they'll want Colts-Bears at Notre Dame on their SNF slate that year.

That'd be fun for sure.