If you could go back to another decade, which would it be?

biggie.

90’s easily 

Cold War was over. So it was a relatively peaceful era around the world.

Society was advancing and becoming more acceptable of others (definitely still had some warts and problems that we see today).

Economy was doing well (even though it was a bubble).

Internet was growing.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, biggie. said:

I'd be interested in being a kid during the 80's and a teen in the 90's.

I was there, and i would pick to be born in 2022 instead

That puts me as an adult in the 2040s, and thats what i want. The future

Edited by Malfatron
  • Like 1

For profit, the 2010’s, assuming I don’t get cancer again. Game the system and become a billionaire. 

For enjoyment, maybe the 90s. I remember it pretty fondly, my family was still together and childhood was blissful (not that adulthood sucks or anything, genuinely). 

For history, being a hippie vagabond in the 60s or 70s and following bands and doing acid and being loose would be rad lol. 

For wartime, the 40s because I view WW2 as a golden time in American history where we bonded together and had genuine positive feelings towards protecting the country/world and just being American. I don’t have much pride in being American these days. 

edit: having a war category is weird so I’ll just clarify I’m saying it because I have a fascination with WW2 history. I just view WW2 as possibly the last war America was in or caused that wasn’t over resources, it was to stop axis superpowers. 

Edited by Ty21

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

edit: having a war category is weird so I’ll just clarify I’m saying it because I have a fascination with WW2 history. I just view WW2 as possibly the last war America was in or caused that wasn’t over resources, it was to stop axis superpowers. 

Considering WWII was the last time this country officially declared war, hard to argue with 

90s easily. Im biased but Ive always thought it was the perfect blend of generations where there was a mix of pre-tech dependent living that taught actual social skills but also the beginning of the tech boom that didnt yet control our lives.

There was such things as playing video games inside and then running outside to hang out with friends. Today is far more lopsided since social media ruined the planet and 9/11 started a whole nother' fear based thing.

I took my dog on a walk the other day and saw a group of kids at the local elementary school playing basketball outside (which is 90% of the time empty) and I shed a single tear.

Edited by AkronsWitness

11 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

is this only going back to another decade in your own life?

if not, you guys aren't using your imagination very much.

aaaaah going back to anything pre-70s doesnt sound appealing because of the whole slavery/discrimination/race riots/world war/great depression thing. Seems like a awful stretch of 60 years to be alive tbh. So that really only leaves 70s-present for me lol

I do think it would be sweet to go back to the mid 70s in that 'dazed and confused' type of era where I feel like everyone drove a muscle car, wore leather jackets and bands like Pink Floyd/Zepplin/Eagles were releasing new music. That would be cool, but I feel like there was still a lot of tension in that era.

Thats why I chose 90s. Feel like it was one of the only decades where there wasnt any major major conflict going on and things were just easy...for everyone.

Edited by AkronsWitness

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I do think it would be sweet to go back to the mid 70s in that 'dazed and confused' type of era where I feel like everyone drove a muscle car, wore leather jackets and bands like Pink Floyd/Zepplin/Eagles were releasing new music. That would be cool, but I feel like there was still a lot of tension in that era.

aaah, the good 'ol daze....

• Like 3

I spent my late teens and twenties in the 90's, so I'd certainly like to do that over again.  But, if I were to pick a different decade that wasn't in my own lifetime, I'd pick the 1920s...yes, there was a crash at the end which then started many years of Depression, but I would just like to experience the Roaring '20s and see how it compares to the 90s, because it does seem to have some cultural similarities, despite the big differences in technology and politics.  

6 hours ago, vike daddy said:

is this only going back to another decade in your own life?

if not, you guys aren't using your imagination very much.

Fine. If sailing with Henry Morgan brings in the same amount of groupies. Ill chose that if it makes you happy.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 4:38 PM, biggie. said:

I'd be interested in being a kid during the 80's and a teen in the 90's.

This describes me to a "T".    I was born in '77.  The 80's were awesome.  Arcade games, BMX bikes, 80's movies, 80's music, break dancing, Michael Jackson, over the top styles and fads.  Hot pink was no longer a sissy color (although it should be...).  

Then we had the very taboo Masculine influences like the WWF, Rambo, Mr. T., Schwarzenegger,  He-Man, G.I. Joe, American Gladiators, etc.  All us American boys were being groomed to become super-shredded, commie-killing Patriots.   

Overall, I would describe the 1980s as "super positive". 

Then I became a teenager in 1990.  Music, movies and styles changed.  Not worse or better, just different.  I was a huge NIN fan. Skateboarding took over BMX.  The video game consoles got better, too.  We got our first taste of the dark side.    Clothes were darker colors.  It was cool to be pissed off or angry. If you were too chipper, there was something wrong with you.  In general, it was a pessimistic decade. I think Grunge/alternative music shaped the 1990's, especially the first 4-5 years. 

One thing the 1990s knocked out of the park were the advancements in automobiles.    The standardization of port fuel injection, OBDI/OBDII, IRS suspensions, better chassis, turbochargers, styling based off wind tunnels and not looks ('80s cars).   The best JDM and Euro cars were built in the 90's, IMO.  

2000's were cool.   2010's started to suck and don't get me started on 2020s.   

Now if you'll excuse me,  I gotta take my geritol and go yell at some kids. 

Edited by ///mcompact
  • Like 1