Thoughts and Observations: Week 10 [GB]

WindyCity

47 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Pace blew a year of Trubisky in 2017 with these inept coaches and this inept offense.

If he chooses to blow 7 more weeks, I will be pissed.

If he chooses to blow a 2nd year he can be fired as well.

Pace made some early questionable decisions, but seemed to be improving the roster, albeit with a few misses and making decisions according to some plan. Now the Trubisky situation is  is straying into old Wannstedt territory of he's either a genius or an idiot, but either way I don't get it.

I hated the Cutler deal, but said that every decision for a long time has to start with "what's best for Cutler"? Now same with Trubisky. The Bears can make or break a five to ten season period depending on what kind of QB Trubisky is 2018 and going forward. It almost seems like they are willing to forego developing Trubisky for some Fox related consideration. Sack pct; Trubisky  league worst 12.2, second place is Brissett 10.6. Avg of the 35 ranked QB is about 6.6.  Trubisky is about 31st in TD pct while he's tied for 10th in Int pct. So 'safe' for the Bears is having a MOBILE Trubishy get hammered like a tackling dummy while Fox has a few less turnovers to contend with en route to a 6-10 season.

21 hours ago, WindyCity said:

-Why did Josh Bellamy play over Tre McBride? McBride was coming off his best game as a pro and is a better blocker and more consistent WR. Before the Bellamy defenders come swooping in, the TD catch was a blown coverage.

I am not defending Bellamy in any way because he should not be out there, but 2 of the 3 plays McBride "made" against NO came on blown coverages where he was left wide open. He also got blown up as a run blocker a few times. I have no issue with him seeing as little action as he did against GB. Wright is the guy that should have been the beneficiary, not Bellamy.

I know Wright is best suited to the slot, but he is not completely inept as an outside guy. There is no excuse for Wright and Inman to not be on the field 85% of the time moving forward. Mix in Wheaton (I guess, maybe, hopefully) and McBride as needed, but the only two guys that consistently show anything and can build trust with Trubisky are Wright and Inman.

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Sounds like you’re setting yourself up to be pissed. Not only do the Bears not do that, but it rarely happens league-wide at all let alone at midseason. If it happens at all before the end of the season I’d expect it happens a week or maybe two weeks before the regular season ends, and even that I doubt happens. Outside of Fangio (who has continually been passed over for HC gigs) we just don’t have the in house interim candidate to make such a move worthwhile. 

Good point AZ, plus like someone already said (and I think it was you) firing Fox now and promoting Fangio to HC for the rest of the year pretty much eliminates any chance of bringing Fangio back at DC with a new coaching staff because it would probably hurt his pride too much to be passed over for another guy.

For as much as Fangio may deserve a head coaching opportunity at some point I don't believe it should be with the Bears as the team has already made their bed with Trubisky for at least the next few years that they have no other choice but to go the offensive head coach route moving forward past Fox.

12 hours ago, Rogerthat said:

This is why I had such a hard time when they drafted trubisky.  This coaching staff has no business trying to develop a QB. The bears would have been better served long term if they got a defenseive stud and drafted a QB in 2018. 

I disagree that Bears would have been better off doing that.  You don't know where they will be picking in the upcoming draft and this year's crop of QB's is looking to be pretty average after how much hype they were getting in the off-season.  Remember how everyone was saying how last year's crop was bad and that 2018 would be one of the best in years?  LMAO funny how that works.

To be fair to Pace, you take the QB you desire when given the opportunity.  Can't fault him at all for taking Trubisky even with this coaching staff returning.

I'm starting to think that maybe it was all by design to keep Fox for another year to ward teams off from thinking Bears would take a QB early, because it would have been more obvious if they hired an entirely new coaching staff.

Also, I think Pace's plan really was to have Glennon start most if not all of this year, but Fox had no choice but to turn to Trubisky after how bad Glennon was...

9 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

How often do new coaches retain the old coordinators, even if successful? I'm struggling to think of an instance of that, but lack deep knowledge on this. 

Word has it that if the Broncos had hired Kyle Shanahan last off season over Vance Joseph that he was going to retain Wade Phillips as DC, but Broncos went in another direction and boy are they sure looking bad for doing that.

I'm sure there are other examples.

Except for the TD to Bellamy and one 3rd-and-4 in the 3rd quarter, here were the #Bears 3rd-down distances on the final plays of their other 9 offensive drives vs. #Packers:

3rd and 14

3rd and 15

3rd and 12

3rd and 13

3rd and 16

3rd and 15

3rd and 18

3rd and 10

3rd and 10

40 minutes ago, G08 said:

I wish that one of the beat reporters would bring this up to Fox during his weekly press conference and ask him how he expects Trubisky to succeed when they are constantly putting him and the offense in low percentage situations with predictable and overly conservative play calling.

23 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I wish that one of the beat reporters would bring this up to Fox during his weekly press conference and ask him how he expects Trubisky to succeed when they are constantly putting him and the offense in low percentage situations with predictable and overly conservative play calling.

He's say it was a good outing with no interceptions and only one fumble lost. A successful 'avoid mistakes at all costs, including a win' strategy.

On 11/14/2017 at 10:22 AM, topwop1 said:

I disagree that Bears would have been better off doing that.  You don't know where they will be picking in the upcoming draft and this year's crop of QB's is looking to be pretty average after how much hype they were getting in the off-season.  Remember how everyone was saying how last year's crop was bad and that 2018 would be one of the best in years?  LMAO funny how that works.

To be fair to Pace, you take the QB you desire when given the opportunity.  Can't fault him at all for taking Trubisky even with this coaching staff returning.

I'm starting to think that maybe it was all by design to keep Fox for another year to ward teams off from thinking Bears would take a QB early, because it would have been more obvious if they hired an entirely new coaching staff.

Also, I think Pace's plan really was to have Glennon start most if not all of this year, but Fox had no choice but to turn to Trubisky after how bad Glennon was...

It happens every damn year.  By the time the draft rolls around the current qb crop is all mediocre, theres one guy who everyone says would have gone top 5 the previous year, but cost himself by staying in school (Josh Allen likely this years candidate) and the next years qb crop looks way better.  I called it out last year and ill b chuckling at it when it happens again this year

Archived