SG - Terance Mann | Anfernee Simons

SF OG Anunoby | Marcus Morris | Chris Duarte

PF - Zion Williamson | Jae Crowder

C - Myles Turner | Bobby Portis | Precious Achiuwa

Coach: Tom Thibodeau

@BigC421/

HC - Monty Williams 

1- FVV (23) J. Murray (20) Kemba (5)

2- J.Murray ( 12) DeRozan (10) FVV (8)J. Harris (12) Levert (6)

3- MPJ (20) Bogdanovic (15) DeRozan (10) Levert (3) 

4-DeRozan (15) DFS (25) Davis(5) MPJ (3) 

5- A.Davis (30) Wiseman (13)Bagley (5)

Typing out total minutes because it was hard to see as formatted.

Davis (35)

Derozan (35)

Murray (32)

FVV (31)

DFS (25)

MPJ (23)

Bogdanovic (15)

Wiseman (13)

J. Harris (12)

Levert (9)

Kemba (5)

Bagley (5)

Personally, I think I'd give each guy time to talk about their team and strategy before voting.

Edited by Bullet Club

Questions for Raider?

What is your offensive strategy, and do you think you'll be overly reliant on a small guard and small big?

Questions for BigC?

How do you keep everyone happy with one ball? What is your scoring hierarchy? 

Edited by Bullet Club

7 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Questions for Raider?

What is your offensive strategy, and do you think you'll be overly reliant on a small guard and small big?

Questions for BCat?

How do you keep everyone happy with one ball? What is your scoring hierarchy? 

First thing, who the hell is BCat? Figured it was just autocorrect or something 1st time you called me Cat.  

Our plan offensively is to always have options and be adjustable. Virtually everyone on the floor can hit the open shot or dribble drive past you and we have an unusually high number of creators. A lot of motion especially the 1’s when there off ball which will be often. I envision FVV and Murray just constantly running off each other and base line off ball screens with DeRozan/ Davis high pnr and pnp game. Plethora of elite shooters , plan on just riding hot hand on given night.  He can’t hide Young or Zion in this series as I’ve just got to many multidimensional offensive players.  It’s gonna rain.  Obviously we can do a lot of the same stuff with FVV or Murray as primary ball handler depending on where Young is and Zion will likely be sucking wind sooner than later.  

As far as keeping everyone happy offensively I just don’t see that being a problem, this is a very low ego roster.  Who exactly is the type to go butt hurt? FVV was an elite 6th man before an all star, DeRozan doesn’t even like the spot light and Murray was just coming into his own last we saw him and is obviously used to not being the “guy” with Joker

Davis will be free to dominate in a way he isn’t really accustomed too.  He will be heavily involved in all facets but won’t be relied upon in a lot of ISO’s unless the matchup calls for it.  Defensively he should have his way with Turner and Zion forcing them (team) into a lot of bad outside shots. I think we can beat this team going big or small. Temporary attempts at playing Davis with Wiseman to see how that works.  

I think another thing to look at in this series is consistency of shooters. Outlaws has capable shooters around Young/Zion but let’s be real those guys aren’t scaring anyone and will have some bad shooting nights likely costing a couple games.  My arsenal of shooters on the other hand is sickening. Several guys will be ON every game there’s just no getting around that.

Let’s be honest, no one wants to see NYRaider make it out the 1st rd anyway and sense his team stinks you don’t have to eve feel guilty about it.

VOTE BCAT 

Edited by BigC421/
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Questions for Raider?

My offensive strategy would be primarily a two man game between Trae/Zion surrounded by guys that can spread the floor and shoot the ball. Smart, Morris, Portis, and Simons can all provide their own offense off the bench as well. I feel like OG Anunoby's offensive impact is being overlooked as well, a 6'7" wing that can shoot and create his own offense is my third option in the starting 5.

I decided to roll with Smart in a 6th man role so that he wouldn't be just a floor spacer / 3P shooter and could actually play on the ball while guys like Morris, Simons, and Portis all play off of him. 

NYRaider   vs   BigC421/
T Young 1       F VanVleet 0
T Mann 0       J Murray 1
OG Anunoby 1       M Porter 0
Z Williamson 0       D Derozan 1
M Turner 0       A Davis 1
Starters 2       Starters 3

M Smart         K Walker  
A Simons         J Harris  
M Morris         C Levert  
C Duarte         B Bogdanovic  
J Crowder         D Finney Smith  
B Portis         Wiseman  
P Achiuwa         Bagley  
Bench 1       Bench 0

Subtotal 3       Subtotal 3

Tiebreaker? No       Tiebreaker? Yes

Winner BigC421/

This one is tight as well, I had to go with a tiebreaker to vote on it. Ultimately I voted for @BigC421/ 's team. I'm not really in love with either starting lineup, both team's first round picks have huge questions marks (Williamson and Davis). Then there's the bench, I think @NYRaider 's bench is significantly better here.  He just has a lot of guys who have proven they can contribute. So it came down to a tiebreaker. My first thought was, who is the best player in this series?  Honestly I don't know. You could argue any one of these four: Anthony Davis, Zion Williamson, Trae Young, or D Derozan. I really think Jamaal Murray as the 3rd star is better than anyone on NYRaider's team, and I know that Marcus Smart would likely play a bunch of minutes but Murray just gives you so much more offensively.  Then combine that with the fact that Trae Young and Zion are probably two of the worst Stars in the league on defense and I went with Big's. 

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

NYRaider   vs   BigC421/
T Young 1       F VanVleet 0
T Mann 0       J Murray 1
OG Anunoby 1       M Porter 0
Z Williamson 0       D Derozan 1
M Turner 0       A Davis 1
Starters 2       Starters 3

M Smart         K Walker  
A Simons         J Harris  
M Morris         C Levert  
C Duarte         B Bogdanovic  
J Crowder         D Finney Smith  
B Portis         Wiseman  
P Achiuwa         Bagley  
Bench 1       Bench 0

Subtotal 3       Subtotal 3

Tiebreaker? No       Tiebreaker? Yes

Winner BigC421/

This one is tight as well, I had to go with a tiebreaker to vote on it. Ultimately I voted for @BigC421/ 's team. I'm not really in love with either starting lineup, both team's first round picks have huge questions marks (Williamson and Davis). Then there's the bench, I think @NYRaider 's bench is significantly better here.  He just has a lot of guys who have proven they can contribute. So it came down to a tiebreaker. My first thought was, who is the best player in this series?  Honestly I don't know. You could argue any one of these four: Anthony Davis, Zion Williamson, Trae Young, or D Derozan. I really think Jamaal Murray as the 3rd star is better than anyone on NYRaider's team, and I know that Marcus Smart would likely play a bunch of minutes but Murray just gives you so much more offensively.  Then combine that with the fact that Trae Young and Zion are probably two of the worst Stars in the league on defense and I went with Big's. 

DeRozen over Zion?!

I went Raider. Goes 6ish? The way to beat him is to hound Trae/Zion defensively and with 3 starting defensive liabilities that's not going to happen. Also Raider has a way better bench. BigC has 3 guys who shouldn't be playing at all and no depth down low.

• Like 2

went with Raider I think perimeter defense is just as important as rim protection if not more honestly..i know its unrelated to this but for ex:

bulls bring Caurso and Lonzo and despite them having no rim protection they were good defensively with them on the floor. Trae Young will have his way with FVV/Murray IMO and as good as Murray was .. he will have to get iso buckets against Smart or OG? think OG is capable of defending him with no help

demar and MPJ defensively dont move the needle for me 

Edited by indifference

1 hour ago, indifference said:

went with Raider I think perimeter defense is just as important as rim protection if not more honestly..i know its unrelated to this but for ex:

bulls bring Caurso and Lonzo and despite them having no rim protection they were good defensively with them on the floor. Trae Young will have his way with FVV/Murray IMO and as good as Murray was .. he will have to get iso buckets against Smart or OG? think OG is capable of defending him with no help

demar and MPJ defensively dont move the needle for me 

Respect your take but I feel like people overall in this exercise are putting to much emphasis on defensive impact.  With 16 teams there’s just too much offensive fire power on some of these teams to expect a great defense let alone ones with huge weaknesses to do much of anything to stop them.  No one can constantly stay in front of high end offensive players with todays rules and skills. OG is a very good defender but he’s not staying in front of Murray or DeRozan for very long. Help defense only starts the ball movement at which point your eventually either giving up open 3’s to any one of Joe Harris , MPJ, Bogdanavic, DFS , FVV or a lob dunk to AD. I really don’t see my team being held under 120 and could really put up some doozies if a couple shooters get hot.  If anyone was planning on winning with defense in this format you would have needed to stay true to that game plan with every pick and build a defensive monster because there’s to much talent to have multiple guys out there that can get exposed.  

I get liking his bench better on a player vs player bases ( I like Wiseman’s future way more than just about anyone but that’s another story) but I think the sum of my parts is greater. I’ve got guys that come in with a purpose and allow the offense to keep humming.  Great shooters of the bench and 2 guys that can create in Kemba and Levert. 

I just don’t think he has the fire power to keep up frankly 

Edited by BigC421/

23 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

Respect your take but I feel like people overall in this exercise are putting to much emphasis on defensive impact.  With 16 teams there’s just too much offensive fire power on some of these teams to expect a great defense let alone ones with huge weaknesses to do much of anything to stop them.  No one can constantly stay in front of high end offensive players with todays rules and skills. OG is a very good defender but he’s not staying in front of Murray or DeRozan for very long. Help defense only starts the ball movement at which point your eventually either giving up open 3’s to any one of Joe Harris , MPJ, Bogdanavic, DFS , FVV or a lob dunk to AD. I really don’t see my team being held under 120 and could really put up some doozies if a couple shooters get hot.  If anyone was planning on winning with defense in this format you would have needed to stay true to that game plan with every pick and build a defensive monster because there’s to much talent to have multiple guys out there that can get exposed.  

I get liking his bench better on a player vs player bases ( I like Wiseman’s future way more than just about anyone but that’s another story) but I think the sum of my parts is greater. I’ve got guys that come in with a purpose and allow the offense to keep humming.  Great shooters of the bench and 2 guys that can create in Kemba and Levert. 

I just don’t think he has the fire power to keep up frankly 

You make some solid points about offense vs. defense. You do have a lot of shooting too. Kemba is totally washed at this point though. I liked Wiseman as a prospect a lot (my #1 smh) but he's been a really bad NBA player thus far. Not that you're giving them a ton of minutes but they are huge liabilities in this, and if Zion gets AD in foul trouble you're in trouble.