Players you're hyped to watch in preseason games?

armsteeld

Title explains itself. I am hyped to watch ILB Mark Robinson, Calvin Austin III, and Demarvin Leal perform out of all the drafted players.

Mark Robinson, in my eyes, has the potential to be a starting ILB within the next couple seasons. His ability to square up on blockers and neutralize them and still make the tackle is almost special. He's a downhill thumper with excellent movement skills. He has excellent stopping power and I've comp' him to Vince Williams way before it became the norm.

Calvin Austin III has something the Steelers have been lacking since DHB and that is speed. CAIII can fly! Even more important than his speed is his quickness. He will cause teams so many headaches because he is a mismatch weapon. He's a better outside than inside WR but since he's small, many think he's only a Slot but they're wrong. 

Demarvin Leal has a great opportunity to challenge for playing timer even a starting position as a rookie. He has everything you want in a 5Tech but he has to bring it every single game. I think Karl Dunbar and those defensive coaches have the ability to bring out the best in Leal. Leal is excellent on the move and has shown he can play with both power and finesse. Can he do it consistent is the issue.

Who are you guys and gals excited to watch?

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Two categories for me:

How much did they grow?
- Kendrick Green, Tre Norwood, Buddy Johnson, Loudermilk, and Adams

What can they provide from the jump?
- Demarvin Leal and Calvin Austin

I am a huge fan of Buddy Johnson. Who is Adams?

• Like 1

I’ll parrot about the offensive rookies/young guys. I’ll add in Pickens as the skill guy I’m most excited to see. I’d like to see Trubisky too. I’m also excited to see how the ILBs work together, how much Highsmith has improved, and the new secondary. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Two categories for me:

How much did they grow?
- Kendrick Green, Tre Norwood, Buddy Johnson, Loudermilk, and Adams

What can they provide from the jump?
- Demarvin Leal and Calvin Austin

I am onboard with you with most of these players. The two DL's Loudermilk and Adams are of particular interest to me in light of Tuitt's retirement. I will add Tyson as well because he has been hurt the better part of his past few seasons. You hope that his body isn't breaking down in the role carved for him. I am hoping the Steelers can do a DL rotation similar to what the NY Giants made famous some years ago. 

I want to see the IOL starting combo of Daniels, Cole, and Dotson.  The short yardage game for the Steelers has been abysmal for some years now. I would like to see if these guys can put some SMASH back into smash-mouth. Our OL and team has been called "soft." That is not the Steeler way! Najee is a beefed up RB looking to run between the tackles. This could be interesting and exciting. 

The ILB law offices of Jack and Bush. Can they jack up some ball carries and knock them in the bushes?! 

What do we really have behind Najee at RB? McFarland has been a disappointment in large part because he can't seem to stay healthy or get going. Benny can be a tough little guy but doesn't offer a lot of versatility and contrast to Najee. I am hoping they sign an established veteran. Perhaps someone after the preseason a possible cap casualty. I would like to see what both of these guys can show, but I don't have a lot of faith in them if they had to take over for Najee. 

• Like 2

On 6/8/2022 at 12:58 AM, armsteeld said:

Title explains itself. I am hyped to watch ILB Mark Robinson, Calvin Austin III, and Demarvin Leal perform out of all the drafted players.

Mark Robinson, in my eyes, has the potential to be a starting ILB within the next couple seasons. His ability to square up on blockers and neutralize them and still make the tackle is almost special. He's a downhill thumper with excellent movement skills. He has excellent stopping power and I've comp' him to Vince Williams way before it became the norm.

Calvin Austin III has something the Steelers have been lacking since DHB and that is speed. CAIII can fly! Even more important than his speed is his quickness. He will cause teams so many headaches because he is a mismatch weapon. He's a better outside than inside WR but since he's small, many think he's only a Slot but they're wrong. 

Demarvin Leal has a great opportunity to challenge for playing timer even a starting position as a rookie. He has everything you want in a 5Tech but he has to bring it every single game. I think Karl Dunbar and those defensive coaches have the ability to bring out the best in Leal. Leal is excellent on the move and has shown he can play with both power and finesse. Can he do it consistent is the issue.

Who are you guys and gals excited to watch?

The rookies. The CBs. Mitch. Jack.

• Like 2

Not so much hyped... But intrigued

Trubisky/Rudolph/Pickett

Snell/McFarland/Durant/Other

Pickens/Austin/Gunner/Miller?

Dotson/Green

Cole/Green

Daniels/Dotson?

Connor Heyward/Watt

Excess slack at the ILB position 

Return of Devin Bush

Two of Gilbert/Allen/Spillane/Buddy

Weatherspoon and Wallace as CB? Sutton at Nickel?

More or less the shuffling process

• Like 1

Oladokun is good... He has a strong foundational base, which is to say, his footwork doesn't s___ . It translates fluidly to give his arm the look of hey, that's a good arm. He has improvisational skills and a good enough arm. Could be Batch-like.

Trey Lance comparison. Make of that as you will. I'd really like to see a Pickett/Oladokun preseason game

I'd take Chris Steele over Tre Norwood.

My splash cuts: McFarland, Gunner, Layne, Rudolph, Norwood, Mark Robinson, Skipper, Karl Joseph, Marcus Allen, James Pierre

Surprise Keeps: Oladokun, Durant, Moultry, Steele, Avery, Snead, Boykin, Carlins Platel

And I kept Carlins Platel based off a 20 second clip of him grabbing and holding and getting a pass deflection. He was closer than our guys normally are 🤫