G - Collin Sexton
Wing - Matisse Thybulle
F/C - Lauri Markkenan
F/C - Chris Boucher
PG - Immanuel Quickley
SG - Malik Beasley
SF - Josh Hart

Rotation:

PG - Tyrese Haliburton (35), Colin Sexton (8), Immanuel Quickley (5)
SG - Donovan Mitchell (34), Colin Sexton (10), Malik Beasley (4)
SF - Jimmy Butler (29), Matisse Thybulle (15), Josh Hart (4)
PF - Herb Jones (32), Lauri Markennan (12), Jimmy Butler (4)
C - Deandre Ayton (33), Lauri Markennan (7), Chris Boucher (8)

@beekay414

Starters
PG 
Luka Doncic
SG Anthony Edwards
SF Robert Covington
PF Pascal Siakam
C Robert Williams

Reserves
G 
CJ McCollum
Lu Dort
Kevin Porter Jr
F Kyle Kuzma
F Jonathan Isaac
C Mo Bamba
Nerlens Noel

Let them defend their teams.

Questions for beekay?

How concerned are you having guys like McCollum and Porter Jr. fitting in on this team? McCollum hasn't been a bench player since 2014 and hasn't been a 4th option in his entire career. Porter Jr. seems exactly like the kind of guy to outshoot his role.

Questions for Slim?

How concerned are you about Butler clashing with Mitchell and Ayton? Mitchell has issues with a much less expressive guy in Gobert, and Ayton seems to have a personality similar to say Towns, who Butler clashed with.

Edited by Bullet Club

man... i hate to say it, but i really am not a big fan of the way slim made his team. i don't see it personally. bad shooters 3-5. D is good aside from Dmitch. i don't love the way it's constructed... 

beekay's team is nice. i think covington is pretty toasted at this point and surprised bk feels differently enough to have him in the starting line up. but yeah, better talent, better fit, like the bench pieces more.

this one is quite easy for me. don't think i could be talked into going a different way, so i'll vote. 

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

Questions for beekay?

How concerned are you having guys like McCollum and Porter Jr. fitting in on this team? McCollum hasn't been a bench player since 2014 and hasn't been a 4th option in his entire career. Porter Jr. seems exactly like the kind of guy to outshoot his role.

Questions for Slim?

How concerned are you about Butler clashing with Mitchell and Ayton? Mitchell has issues with a much less expressive guy in Gobert, and Ayton seems to have a personality similar to say Towns, who Butler clashed with.

Mitchell and Gobert have issues personality wise, not because Gobert demands those around him to work hard.  Jimmy is a leader and is a solid piece next to Mitchell to get the best out of him.  

Ayton I also don’t see as a lazy, non-defense all about his numbers big like KAT. He is quiet but works hard and doesn’t demand he be the centerpiece which is necessary with other scorers on the court.  He plays solid D and will anchor the defense. 

Overall I agree that I could have used more shooting down low.  I’d probably play Markennan more with the starters and have Herb come in when needed.  Against these bigs, I don’t need the elite defense so playing smaller and giving Sexton and Markennan more minutes would help.  Jimmy would guard Luka and would have Thybulle to step in if needed and shut him down while Jimmy covers Edward’s.  I think I have enough fire power against his poor defensive wings to put score him with my defense.

Sllim Pickens   vs   Beekay414
T Haliburton 0       L Doncic 1
D Mitchell 0       A Edwards 1
J Butler 1       R Covington 0
H Jones 0       P Siakam 1
D Ayton 1       R Williams 0
Starters 2       Starters 3

C Sexton         CJ McCollum  
M Thybulle         L Dort  
L Marrkkenan         K Porter  
C Boucher         K Kuzma  
I Quickley         J Isaac  
M Beasley         M Bamba  
J Hart         N Noel  
Bench 1       Bench 0

Subtotal 3       Subtotal 3

Tiebreaker? No       Tiebreaker? Yes

Winner Beekay414

This matchup is extremely close.  Ultimately I voted for @beekay414 's team. I like B's starting lineup, although I'd argue going small and pushing Siakam to the 5 and bringing in another wing might be his best lineup. In this series you might need Wiliams on Ayton though. I like @Sllim Pickens bench more though. None of those guys are stars but they are all legit role players who are excellent at one thing. B's bench has a lot of questions for me, like what the heck will Jon Isaac look like when he ever plays basketball again, or are Kevin Porter or Mo Bamba any good?  Ultimately the tiebreaker went to Beekay, and for me in this series the tiebreaker is just unrelenting scoring from Doncic and Edwards. Closest matchup I've analyzed so far. 

15 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

J Hart         N Noel  
Bench 1       Bench 0

Winner Beekay414

This matchup is extremely close.  Ultimately I voted for @beekay414 's team. I like B's starting lineup, although I'd argue going small and pushing Siakam to the 5 and bringing in another wing might be his best lineup. In this series you might need Wiliams on Ayton though. I like @Sllim Pickens bench more though. None of those guys are stars but they are all legit role players who are excellent at one thing. B's bench has a lot of questions for me, like what the heck will Jon Isaac look like when he ever plays basketball again, or are Kevin Porter or Mo Bamba any good?  Ultimately the tiebreaker went to Beekay, and for me in this series the tiebreaker is just unrelenting scoring from Doncic and Edwards. Closest matchup I've analyzed so far. 

I agree with most of it aside from Edward’s over Mitchell.  I get the tiebreaker but I also have three of the best wing defenders in the league to counter your tiebreaker.  

thanks for the write up and discussion though. 

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

I agree with most of it aside from Edward’s over Mitchell.  I get the tiebreaker but I also have three of the best wing defenders in the league to counter your tiebreaker.  

thanks for the write up and discussion though. 

When it gets that close in a matchup its hard not to lean on just the "who's the best player in this series?" argument. While I respect Jimmy Butler a lot, Luka is just nasty. 

I like both these teams a lot. Butler and Don is a great 1-2 punch, but Luka is the main difference maker here. I really like the core 3 of luka, ant, and Siakam, with a dpoy candidate at the 5 and McCollum gunning off the bench. Hard to see Luka being stopped here with that much help 

I was leaning BK and heard reasoning from Slim so I'm comfortable voting. BK's team is too balanced. Best player, excellent secondary scorer, excellent third scorer, rim runner/defense stalwart big, etc. I have concerns about some of the fits as the tourney goes on, think he overrates RoCo too, but I think his team is too good to lose here.

Slim's team is good but got hit with a brutal round 1 matchup. Seems like a series Ayton would vanish in, and Mitchell would unsuccessfully try to keep up with Luka.  Butler can outclass guys like Tatum but probably not Doncic. Luka and Edwards are bound to go cold for a game (too streaky from deep) so he'll drop one but think this probably ends in 5-6.

This feels more like a 2nd rd matchup i like both of these teams. Siakam and Williams make a great versatile front court. As good as they both are I’m not sure how well Luka and Edwards would actually play together.  Mitchel and Butler feels like a more natural fit together from a skill set stand point but on the other hand Jimmy has along history of not caring for young , selfish mentally weak teammates.  Herb Jones on Siakam is a fascinating matchup. Who plays better between Sexton and CJ should have a huge impact. 

I think this series will have some bog down games with a bit to much iso and probably go 7. Floor spacing is adequate but not elite for either team.  Ultimately I think Beekey is a bit more versatile, tough inside and has the best player with the win in 7

9 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

J Hart         N Noel  
Bench 1       Bench 0

Winner Beekay414

FWIW I think this is overly simplistic way of breaking things down.  I used this as an example because we agreed on the result. This system makes a huge assumption that each 1 and 0 are equal, and they aren't. Luka vs. Tyrese, and Edwards vs. Mitchell are both 1-0 but the gaps are completely different. Luka is tiers above Tyrese, where the 2-guards are interchangeable. You could have 4 toss-ups go one way, and one huge gap go the other, and it'd look 4-1 when the 1 is clearly better. Same applies to bench. One bench might be 1% better than the other but they get 100% of the total attributed to them, and coaching isn't considered. If you're going to keep it, I'd modify the numbers at least.

30 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

FWIW I think this is overly simplistic way of breaking things down.  I used this as an example because we agreed on the result. This system makes a huge assumption that each 1 and 0 are equal, and they aren't. Luka vs. Tyrese, and Edwards vs. Mitchell are both 1-0 but the gaps are completely different. Luka is tiers above Tyrese, where the 2-guards are interchangeable. You could have 4 toss-ups go one way, and one huge gap go the other, and it'd look 4-1 when the 1 is clearly better. Same applies to bench. One bench might be 1% better than the other but they get 100% of the total attributed to them, and coaching isn't considered. If you're going to keep it, I'd modify the numbers at least.

Everyone has their own approach, I like keeping it simple.  Honestly there’s so much back and forth about fit and stats, but it really just comes down to who has the most talent.  I mean we crammed the best players from 30 nba teams down to 16, most of the guys are good.  Talent is going to win out in the end.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Everyone has their own approach, I like keeping it simple.  Honestly there’s so much back and forth about fit and stats, but it really just comes down to who has the most talent.  I mean we crammed the best players from 30 nba teams down to 16, most of the guys are good.  Talent is going to win out in the end.

I don't agree with that but fair enough.