Official: Rob Walton to buy Broncos

BroncoBruin

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Now, depending on how the season goes and what the offense looks like by the end, I could see the argument, particularly because of the money they pumped into Russ, but I can't help but think there's some wishful thinking that Klint Kubiak will be great just because of his last name. I think he's a good young coach with a good pedigree, but if I'm playing Devil's Advocate, the same could be said about Hackett.

I am one who has argued for giving Klint Kubiak a chance to call plays because, unlike the other offensive coaches on the staff, he has the most recent experience doing so. Cullen was an OL coach, Hackett was most recently an OC yes but the play-calling in Green Bay was handled by LaFleur and Rodgers. Klint called plays last year in Minnesota with middle of the road success, the Vikings finished 12th in yards, 13th in yards/play and 14th in points. My saying to give Klint a chance, even if its just for a drive here or there, a quarter, a half, not even saying turn over full-time play-calling to him, is not born out of the fact I think he is going to set the world on fire and prove be immediately be a HOF coordinator, but just to take some stuff off of Hackett's plate and bring a fresh set of ideas with someone who has a modicum of recent experience doing so.

Now, I agree with what Josh said the other day that Sunday night Hackett & Co. were much improved in all facets from the first two weeks, if that trend continues this week against an inferior opponent in the McRaiders, then it's almost moot. But if things don't continue trending in the right direction, I don't think letting Klint try his hand at play-calling here and there would be a bad idea. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

There are some others to be fair. Rob Chudzinski in Cleveland in 2013. The 49ers fired Chip Kelly and Jim Tomsula both after only one year in 2015 and 2016. Mike Mullarkey in Jacksonville 2012. Hue Jackson for the Raiders too and Jim Mora Jr in Seattle. 

OMG I feel old - I thought they were all pre-2010 except Chip.    But yes, I stand corrected.