Ms Marvel - Disney+

Deadpulse

6 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

First thing: Disney+ really struggles with chase scenes.

Second: I think this show gets worse every week. I’ll finish it since there’s only two episodes left. Definitely won’t rewatch it though. 

I thought the same thing 😂

This week and last were probably two of the weakest episodes of the season. I'm hoping it comes together again because it's been really meh as of late. 

16 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

First thing: Disney+ really struggles with chase scenes.

Second: I think this show gets worse every week. I’ll finish it since there’s only two episodes left. Definitely won’t rewatch it though. 

Yeah what was up with that? That was like a high school project chase scene. Very disjointed and purposeless. Obviously nobody reviewed that storyboard. Kinda killed the whole episode for me.

What's really bringing this show down is the villains.  They just aren't written very well and have zero depth. 

The micro stuff almost all works, scene by scene, but the macro, stringing these scenes together into one cohesive storyline.....not so much.

Introducing us to a guy and then killing him off three scenes later doesn't add any weight either.  The idea is to make you feel the stakes, but it doesn't work when it's throwaway characters.

I enjoyed this episode more than the last, but i'd still have it below the first two.

• Like 3

On 7/1/2022 at 2:25 PM, THE DUKE said:

What's really bringing this show down is the villains.  They just aren't written very well and have zero depth. 

The micro stuff almost all works, scene by scene, but the macro, stringing these scenes together into one cohesive storyline.....not so much.

Introducing us to a guy and then killing him off three scenes later doesn't add any weight either.  The idea is to make you feel the stakes, but it doesn't work when it's throwaway characters.

I enjoyed this episode more than the last, but i'd still have it below the first two.

I liked the 3rd better than the 4th, mainly because the 4th didn't have the characters that they've developed and I like around Kamala with Bruno and Nakia. It was like you alluded to introduce a character who was cool and then kill him off. And I agree, these are the worst villains since the Flagsmashers in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. I give this show a bit more leeway because it's about Kamala coming into her powers and what that means for her versus a more established character. But that means that this episode, the 4th, didn't feel like it added anything to the main focus of the show.

Super boring episode that lead to some real anti-climatic plot moving. I am not sure where this is going, which is good and bad. Obviously there is a predictability threshold and all things are nuanced, however its a bad sign when viewers arent seeing the narrative steps you are laying out. I truly hope this bounces back but the move to Pakistan, while culturally cool to see, really derailed the show. 

Also they broke Banners time travel rule... fun. 

I really liked that episode. I thought it got back to the heart of the show which is about her, her family, her heritage and her being a super hero with all of that around it. Granted, the work with the Clandestine throughout the whole series has been poor thus far, and I don't know what's going to happen for the next episode. Yes, there is the whole Bruno/Kamran thing, but it feels lesser than her finding out about her family's history.

• Like 1

Thoughts after episode 5:

• We've already heard the story of grandma/grandpa. Do well really have to spend the first ~20min/1st half of the entire episode watching it?
  • How/why does Kamala happen to walk right up to her stabbed great, great grandma in such an extremely packed and busy train station? Then she quickly recognizes her grandma as an infant to comfort her?! What?!
  • The previous story telling of finding one another is almost nothing like what is shown here.
  • The dude got powers because his mom died, whom had no powers previously?
  • Why would the US Gov. put out a warrant for red bandana guy's arrest? Makes no sense.
  • The DODC just attacks a dude with no abilities and another guy who randomly got them unexpectedly. Makes no sense.

This show has fallen hard since the first one or two episodes. It's just gotten bad. Would not recommend. There is zero chance I'd watch a season two.

3 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Thoughts after episode 5:

• We've already heard the story of grandma/grandpa. Do well really have to spend the first ~20min/1st half of the entire episode watching it?
  • How/why does Kamala happen to walk right up to her stabbed great, great grandma in such an extremely packed and busy train station? Then she quickly recognizes her grandma as an infant to comfort her?! What?!
  • The previous story telling of finding one another is almost nothing like what is shown here.
  • The dude got powers because his mom died, whom had no powers previously?
  • Why would the US Gov. put out a warrant for red bandana guy's arrest? Makes no sense.
  • The DODC just attacks a dude with no abilities and another guy who randomly got them unexpectedly. Makes no sense.

This show has fallen hard since the first one or two episodes. It's just gotten bad. Would not recommend. There is zero chance I'd watch a season two.

- Yeah, this was solid but a choice to not tell the full story before would’ve helped 

- She had the photo to recognize her, but yeah a weirdly on the rails sequence 

- yeah if anything her dad found her, should’ve had her dad run into the train thinking he saw her and then lead her on to match

- I wonder if it’s because like Kamala he’s half human? Dunno

- Was it a joke? It didn’t seem like they even left that part of the world.

- He did escape a max prison and kill a guard…. Still, yeah to try and blow up Bruno too was a bit “wut?!!”. They seem to be pretty aggro, wonder what’s up. Wouldn’t be shocked if they end up being bad skrulls.

2 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Fun conclusion even if it was just a chaotic unrealistic fight lol. The best part though…

Hide contents

She’s a mutant! They played the X-Men 97 theme

Never watched it but did hear about the spoiler part. Finally.

4 hours ago, Acgott said:

Fun conclusion even if it was just a chaotic unrealistic fight lol. The best part though…

Hide contents

Given the powers she possesses, it's going to always come off as unrealistic.  And given the setting (where DC faces off vs. kids with public visibility), they're going to have to use stun-only weaponry, etc. - and not being familiar with the school layout, the kids are going to have advantages in knowing the setup.   I get that it won't come off that way in a 5 sec montage clip for each area, but I can accept it given the context.    Now, the chemistry part was VERY unrealistic - but at this point, given the MCU's liberties that are regularly taken (Pym arrows, for example), I'll allow it. 

My major problem with the series was in Ep4-5, where they clearly veered off-course, and just brought in & threw away characters.   Didn't feel earned at all.   At least when it comes to DC and Kamala/gang, this ep's events felt quite earned (chemistry aside).   

Given how much they veered off-course in ep4-5, the finale was as good as I could hope for.   She's definitely a character I can root for and watch her develop even more.  Origin stories are usually small-stakes, and the series did a really good job of showing her background, the supporting cast, and her potential.    If the Pakistan trip (and chase scene) and ep5 in general were better written, I suspect there would be even more buzz for her next appearance.   Even with that, the writers seem to have KK & co. headed the right way again, so I'm excited to see what they have in store for her next appearance (which we all now know too).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Finale was a great back to what works episode. Kamala needs her gang for sure. 

There are still a ton of questions. They way Kamran described being torn from the inside out I wonder if he is somehow now a doorway to the Noar. Which, we still have very little info on or how they are connected to the Kree (the blue hand in the flashback). Hoping we get Zoey/Nakia pairing in the future. Zoey was great in this episode, good face turn. Her family's reaction to her being Ms. Marvel was great, and I love that her dad gives her that name. 

Im not sold on the Mutant thing. Yes, they played the theme, but it could still be a red herring. Again, kree arm HAS to be meaningful. They COULD be combining Inhumans and Mutants in the MCU. The Kree played genetics with humans but it took generations to come to fruition and it follows Mutant rules rather than Inhuman rules (get your terrigen mist outta here). 

Complete aside, Brie Larson looked fantastic in the mid credits. That new suit, her hair, and got dang she seems to be in amazing shape. 

• Like 2