The Jalen Hurts Thread

TheRealMcCoy

Call your shot....  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Jalen Hurts will be a top ___ QB in 2022?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/26/2022 at 06:59 AM

Hurts finally didn't look great, granted the weather was awful and he looked far better than the QB opposite him. 

Where is everyone at with him? Is he already the guy, or do you need to see another half season of this level play, or maybe the full year before making judgement? 

I came into this season pretty low on him, so 4 games can't make me say he's the guy, but it's looking good. Just the fact that he has improved every year is what inspires the most hope. Throwing from the pocket, reading the field and attacking middle of the field were his biggest critiques and he's clearly improved at all of those. If he's still playing like this at mid season, I'll be pretty much convinced he's the guy.

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss

3 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Where is everyone at with him? Is he already the guy, or do you need to see another half season of this level play, or maybe the full year before making judgement? 

He’s the guy, barring a significant collapse from him.  Have a hard time seeing them replace him next year without that.

Yeah if we get like week 10 and it’s a string of good to great games from him it’ll just make you feel safer and safer with it.

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Hurts finally didn't look great, granted the weather was awful and he looked far better than the QB opposite him. 

I came into this season pretty low on him, so 4 games can't make me say he's the guy, but it's looking good. Just the fact that he has improved every year is what inspires the most hope. Throwing from the pocket, reading the field and attacking middle of the field were his biggest critiques and he's clearly improved at all of those. If he's still playing like this at mid season, I'll be pretty much convinced he's the guy.

6vwzln.jpg

• Like 2

I swear watching Jalen pressers sometimes is eh cause he doesn't always open up and say a lot, but like when the shooting happened in Uvalde and he started off his presser giving a heartfelt opening statement for over 2 minutes before he opened up questions to the media.

Now he did it again.

He continues to impress me.

Pretty sure he got the 'rat poison' stuff from Saban.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

It’s weird to see an authentic guy like that. There are so many corny try hards (Kirk Cousins) or guys that shrink from any spotlight or real responsibility (Wentz).

it’s boring as hell to watch his pressers, but I’ll take it. He’s backing it up in ways that Carson certainly didn’t. He seems dialed in all the time. Wonder as he gets older will he start to go to the next level of it we’re he can sorta chill out a bit but people still know how he is under the surface.

Im glad that you see more personality with his teammates. That’s all that matters

10 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I was a huge doubter but I was taking my assessment week to week. I’m still not 100% sold but I’m getting there. He’s been impressive. When I’m evaluating QB play, I don’t really care much about wins/losses, TDs/INTs. I just want to see ability and thought process. Jalen struggled with that last year. He’s way more confident now and is using the whole field and making the better decision 9/10. I didn’t think he’d progress this much so fast so I’m a little hesitant to get completely behind him at this point. But it’s certainly trending for him to be a long term fix. Even with hiccups and some limitations he’s seemingly becoming a well rounded QB that has lasting power. He’s always been a quintessential leader. There’s no flaws in that game. I’ve said it repeatedly, he’s perfect in that role. It’s the ability I questioned. But he’s shutting me up as of late. He needs to put together a complete season, albeit joke of a schedule, and make some noise in the playoffs for me to sign up long term. I think he’ll always have some flaws but with a guy like Jalen you can live with them. 

7 hours ago, Kiltman said:

It’s weird to see an authentic guy like that. There are so many corny try hards (Kirk Cousins) or guys that shrink from any spotlight or real responsibility (Wentz).

it’s boring as hell to watch his pressers, but I’ll take it. He’s backing it up in ways that Carson certainly didn’t. He seems dialed in all the time. Wonder as he gets older will he start to go to the next level of it we’re he can sorta chill out a bit but people still know how he is under the surface.

Im glad that you see more personality with his teammates. That’s all that matters

He’s perfect man. He really is. McNabb was a good presser guy (boring and non emotional) but he was hot and cold with his teammates. And he was corny as all hell. I hated McNabbs personality. Just didn’t fit Philly at all. Jalen is the polar opposite of that. He seems like he’s a true leader. No fluff. Refreshing to see and hear. Just needs to continue to be successful on the field and he’ll have the city eating from his hands. 

He has been a very pleasant surprise. It would be hard to let him go for someone who might not reach current level Hurts. Improvement is not linear as we saw last Sunday but let's hope he trends in the right direction, at the end of the day it is just four weeks. Carson did it for longer and for more than one season and he ended up never playing at a high level again. 

At this point what I'm hesitant about is what the team would look like if we extend him. Right now he is in an ideal situation for any QB, he might not be able to stay in one if he is given a huge contract. And who knows how he would look like in such a team. Let's hope he has come to such a point in his progression that he is able to make up for it when the time comes. 

Also given how he is on pace for a record of carries for a QB he is bound to get injured soon. We have to factor that when extending a QB that is so exposed to hits even though he does great in avoiding them.

On the other hand, it might be beneficial to extend him now that the cap is about to increase, instead of later when the contracts will go up even more. 

So far Hurts has gone far and above the amount of progress I thought we would see from him. I knew he would work for it and that was never in question but he's looked awesome so far. I want to see how Hurts fares against some of the better defenses/defensive coordinators in the league. I want to see him succeed in those situations and in the playoffs but so far he's exceeded my expectations with his level of play. Granted, it's only been four weeks but what he's doing looks to be replicable and not flukey.

He’s certainly come down to earth a bit the last two weeks . He has looked limited as a passer for sure. But yesterday the coaching staff did him no favors at all. 

I didn’t get the game plan at all. This defense shouldn’t have given them that much trouble to pass the ball. Don’t get why everything was lateral. 

13 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

He’s certainly come down to earth a bit the last two weeks . He has looked limited as a passer for sure. But yesterday the coaching staff did him no favors at all. 

I didn’t get the game plan at all. This defense shouldn’t have given them that much trouble to pass the ball. Don’t get why everything was lateral. 

Agreed. I didn’t have any real takeaways from Jags game due to weather, but he clearly struggled w/ happy feet vs AZ. Evacuated adequate pockets. Had the 1 turnover worthy throw. Probably a C game.

Nonetheless, he continues to show improvement. That clutch 3rd down conversion to Goedert late was great example of his growth. Checking into play and sticking in pocket to make throw. I’m still on the Hurts train but man, what a great test next week is. Will tell us a lot.