Was AJ Brown Tennessee's best ever receiver?

notthatbluestuff

On 6/11/2022 at 8:07 PM, ET80 said:

Even with, I'm having a hard time thinking of anyone better. Haywood Jefferies? Webster Slaughter? Drew Hill? Billy "White Shoes" Johnson?

Charley Hennigan would be the clear cut guy if we include the Oilers.

Though, with just the Titans, I'd still say Mason has it. What he did in 5 years outweighs what Brown did in 3. Very similar statistical output over their peaks, Mason was a Titan longer, and did it in a less pass friendly era.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Overrating himself like many on this site so maybe he lurks here.

69.7 yards per game with a decent QB in the easiest and best era to play WR in...

2004 Drew Bennett had a better season than he ever had accounting for era. Calm down AJ.

I think you nailed it. AJ Brown obviously thinks he's better than he is because he reads posts on footballs future. Incredible deductive reasoning. We're all playing checkers, FrantikRam out here playing wizards chess.

Edited by Jeezla

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

I think you nailed it. AJ Brown obviously thinks he's better than he is because he reads posts on footballs future. Incredible deductive reasoning. We're all playing checkers, FrantikRam out here playing wizards chess.

Well, I thought it was pretty clear that it was a joke

• Like 3

On 6/12/2022 at 9:07 AM, ET80 said:

Even with, I'm having a hard time thinking of anyone better. Haywood Jefferies? Webster Slaughter? Drew Hill? Billy "White Shoes" Johnson?

Charley Hennigan was good. Yeah he played in the 1960s, and the AFL, but his 1961 season is still remarkable for that time, and even today. That year he racked up 1,746 yards receiving that year, nearly 600 yards more than the next-best receiver.

Anyway, maybe I'm just an OG fat cat, but that comment by Brown seems pretty ignorant. Maybe he's the most talented to play for the Titans/Oilers, but he wasn't there very long, and talent doesn't mean much if you keep having injury problems. Legacy-wise it's probably Mason who has the crown. Stayed healthy for the majority of his time there, and produced pretty well even if he never had many monster seasons. And while Jeffeires wasn't better, I don't think Brown was much better than he was. Kenny Britt was also another talented guy, but was barely on the field. 

Anyway, Brown in this day and age of pass-happy offense barely crossed the 1000 yard threshold twice. Everyone I listed already eclipsed his career best in a season, especially Hennigan. Brown needs to read up on his history, and fallback. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

Overrating himself like many on this site so maybe he lurks here.

69.7 yards per game with a decent QB in the easiest and best era to play WR in...

2004 Drew Bennett had a better season than he ever had accounting for era. Calm down AJ.

I totally forgot about that. Yes, Drew Bennet had one of the best seasons ever, and that was with Volek tossing the rock. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2022 at 11:09 PM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I totally forgot about that. Yes, Drew Bennet had one of the best seasons ever, and that was with Volek tossing the rock. 

You mean the other Kevin Curtis of the NFL? All time Eagles great. 👌

The only other "Titan WR" even in the conversation is Derrick Mason. AJ is 2nd!

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

The only other "Titan WR" even in the conversation is Derrick Mason. AJ is 2nd!

If you’re only counting Titans, sure.

If you’re including Oilers? Drew Hill’s first three years (mid 80s, a much tougher time for WRs) are nearly as good (seven less catches, four less TDs, but almost 400 more yards). Compound the years after that for Hill, the gap gets bigger.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

If you’re only counting Titans, sure

It's should only be the Titans IMO. Otherwise how do you differentiate between Browns WR and Ravens WR? Texans and Titans? St. Louis Rams and St Louis Cardinals?

It's like asking who's the best Titans RB of all time? Is it Derrick Henry, Eddie George or does Earl Cambell count? Different franchises, different cities IMO. 

Edited by Nabbs4u