What is the future of Running back debates in the Hall of Fame?

CP3MVP

I thinking about this the other day in regards to frank gores retirement. The debates on current running backs getting into the hall of fame over the next 15 or so years will be fascinating.

Today’s running backs will never get the raw total yardage and Touchdown numbers that current RBs in the Hall of fame have. 10,000 yards 100 career touchdowns will be seen as out of reach or outliers. A guy like Terrell Davis made the HOF with low career numbers but he had a unique situation. He was the MVP of the league and was the best player on back to back title teams. 

The game has simply changed in how we use running backs and their longevity. So how is this gonna go, just who ever had the best 3-4 year run? I’ve heard people argue Derrick Henry is a HOF, he’s had 2 and a half great years. What about the running backs from the 80’s,90’s, early 00’s who have better career numbers than the current crop of running backs who aren’t in the hall? Can’t they make a case now?

It’s going to be interesting when the debates start about those players who didn’t get to 10,000 career yards despite playing 17 game seasons. It would help those players if they get a high amount of TDs and combined rushing and receiving yards. 
(Currently, Frank Gore and Adrian Peterson are the only players with over 12,000 yards who aren’t in the HOF.) 

2 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

Today’s running backs will never get the raw total yardage and Touchdown numbers that current RBs in the Hall of fame have. 10,000 yards 100 career touchdowns will be seen as out of reach or outliers.

Derrick Henry 6.8k yards and 65 TD, I would still consider him in his prime.  He could be at 10k and 100 td in two more years.  Ladainian, Gore and Peterson should all be in the HOF which seems a decent spread for the position.  

Certain teams will still feature their lead RB enough to get HoF stats if those RB's can stay healthy. Most of the stud RB's have trouble playing 16 or now 17 games in a season more than 3 or 4 times their career, but eventually we'll get those ironman stud RB, or multiple of them, that go to run heavy teams. and they will put up monster stats.

Definitely going to be more accolade based than stat based, and the stats will favor receiving more than in years past. Hell, if a guy like Darren Sproles entered the league 10 years after he did, he might be getting HOF consideration under the (projected) new criteria.

18 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

Terrell Davis got in and he played like 4 full seasons. 

So I’d say any RB that is super elite for 4-5 seasons with some playoff accolades could get in. Or someone with  longevity at a consistent pro bowl level. 

I think the “playoff accolades” has to be a major factor in a team winning a title. Like Derrick Henry led a team to the afc title game. I don’t think that will be good enough on it’s own. I also think that Titans team has run its course. I’d be surprised if they won a playoff game this year tbh 

Edited by CP3MVP

3 hours ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

It’s going to be interesting when the debates start about those players who didn’t get to 10,000 career yards despite playing 17 game seasons. It would help those players if they get a high amount of TDs and combined rushing and receiving yards. 
(Currently, Frank Gore and Adrian Peterson are the only players with over 12,000 yards who aren’t in the HOF.) 

I actually forgot all about the 17 game season. Zeke barely got to 1,000 yard mark with the added game. 

1 hour ago, burlow said:

Derrick Henry 6.8k yards and 65 TD, I would still consider him in his prime.  He could be at 10k and 100 td in two more years.  Ladainian, Gore and Peterson should all be in the HOF which seems a decent spread for the position.  

So you expect Henry to have 2 more dominant seasons then?

I would be personally shocked if he scored 35 touchdowns over the next 2 years. 

14 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

So I’d say any RB that is super elite for 4-5 seasons with some playoff accolades could get in. Or someone with  longevity at a consistent pro bowl level. 

Todd Gurley and Derrick Henry have played in 88 games and 86 games respectively, with 6 seasons under each belt. Gurley has close to 1,000 yards from scrimmage and 11 TDs more than Henry, as well as more All-Pros and accolades.

29 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

Well Terrell Davis playoff accolades include being the GOAT postseason RB and redefining John Elway's legacy, so that definitely holds more weight than just winning a ring.

52 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Todd Gurley and Derrick Henry have played in 88 games and 86 games respectively, with 6 seasons under each belt. Gurley has close to 1,000 yards from scrimmage and 11 TDs more than Henry, as well as more All-Pros and accolades.

I'm still so sad about his knees man. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

So you expect Henry to have 2 more dominant seasons then?

I would be personally shocked if he scored 35 touchdowns over the next 2 years. 

I do not follow the Titians close enough to give projections, if Henry stays healthy the yards needed to get 10k should be pretty easily achievable the 35 more TDs he would have to be as you said dominant.  My response was more to the:

13 hours ago, burlow said:

10,000 yards 100 career touchdowns will be seen as out of reach or outliers

and as HOF should be outlier players we should still see RBs hitting base line targets to build a HOF career.  Alvin Kamara is more in line what people think the future RBs are, he has 7.5k yards from scrimmage (4.2k rush/3.3k rec) and 68 total TDs in 5 years, if he keeps his head on straight stays out of trouble and stays healthy he is on the way to making a case for himself.

I do think that we will see a shift in the offensive skill position players going in, it has been tight on WRs while letting in more RBs.  It should be shifting to more WRs and tighter on RBs, teams will still be feeding their playmakers and there will still be playmaker RBs.