Better WR: Julio Jones or Andre Johnson

mdonnelly21

Better WR: Julio Jones or Andre Johnson   

43 members have voted

1. 1. Better WR: Julio Jones or Andre Johnson (During Prime)

• Julio Jones
    • Andre Johnson

I'm going Julio, but not by much. Those who are acting like it's not close don't remember how good Andre was. Some proof it's close:

-They both are 2x 1st Team AP

-Both 7 time pro bowlers

-Both lead the NFL in receiving yards 2 times and ypg 3 times

-Andre Johnson currently leads Julio by 1 single point in Pro Football Reference's career approximate value.

Now, Julio leads him in a host of other stats (AJ does have Julio in a few as well), not trying to say otherwise. But.. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1005862/nfl-average-yards-per-game-development-over-time/

According to this website, the NFL team average passing yards per game was 25 yards higher from 2010-2019 than it was from 2001-2009 (those are the only parameters I have access to, those 10 year blocks). Andre was washed by 2014, so he easily played the bulk of his career in that 2001-2009 block and Julio obviously played his entire career post 2010. Andre was a target hog, but the variability of the value of his targets was extremely high as was the productivity of his passing offense, while Julio was always playing with a highly capable quarterback in a very productive passing offense. It's no surprise that Julio has been able to maintain better consistency throughout his career. Not to mention Andre kept playing obviously past his prime, we'll see what the next couple of years do to Julio's career per game numbers, which is what a lot of Julio backers are citing. 

All that to say, they have very similar career numbers, they had similar peaks, they are similar players and to suggest one is a significantly better player than the other is flat out wrong in my opinion.

I loved Dre, he was a beast.

Houston_Texans_Andre_Johnson.jpg

• Like 7

10 hours ago, braylon said:

I'm going Julio, but not by much. Those who are acting like it's not close don't remember how good Andre was. Some proof it's close:

-They both are 2x 1st Team AP

-Both 7 time pro bowlers

-Both lead the NFL in receiving yards 2 times and ypg 3 times

-Andre Johnson currently leads Julio by 1 single point in Pro Football Reference's career approximate value.

Now, Julio leads him in a host of other stats (AJ does have Julio in a few as well), not trying to say otherwise. But.. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1005862/nfl-average-yards-per-game-development-over-time/

According to this website, the NFL team average passing yards per game was 25 yards higher from 2010-2019 than it was from 2001-2009 (those are the only parameters I have access to, those 10 year blocks). Andre was washed by 2014, so he easily played the bulk of his career in that 2001-2009 block and Julio obviously played his entire career post 2010. Andre was a target hog, but the variability of the value of his targets was extremely high as was the productivity of his passing offense, while Julio was always playing with a highly capable quarterback in a very productive passing offense. It's no surprise that Julio has been able to maintain better consistency throughout his career. Not to mention Andre kept playing obviously past his prime, we'll see what the next couple of years do to Julio's career per game numbers, which is what a lot of Julio backers are citing. 

All that to say, they have very similar career numbers, they had similar peaks, they are similar players and to suggest one is a significantly better player than the other is flat out wrong in my opinion.

I loved Dre, he was a beast.

Houston_Texans_Andre_Johnson.jpg

This is well thought out and researched. I love the objective view here. 1 single point is shocking! Didn't realize how close they truly were, but not surprised. They felt very similar to me since I've been watching football since 2003. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 2:44 AM, HerbertGOAT said:

Andre Johnson has nothing over Julio except for the fact he played with worse QBs. Andre Johnson is a debatable HOFer, Julio is possibly a top 5 receiver ever.

This is a really terrible freakin take. Andre Johnson is a sure fire Hall of Famer. If anything, Julio is the debatable HOFer.

On 6/12/2022 at 7:16 PM, Yin-Yang said:

Probably be more relevant if Julio didn’t have 1,593 (missed one game)-1,871-1,409 (missed two games)-1,444-1,677-1,394 (missed one game). Consecutively.

Julio played his entire career in the post-IC and post-player safety eras whereas Johnson played three of his first four years only in the first era. When he got to play in both eras he had 3 seasons over 1,400 yards and a third at 1,200 in 13 games. Key difference is, he did it with the guy who was the backup for Julio's QB.

• Like 1

I’m taking Andre Johnson. They’re similarly athletic and strong, Julio felt faster and AJ stronger.

Similar career accolades, what has me lean AJ is that Johnson never got to play with an elite or even top 10ish type QB. So it’s acceptable and explainable that his endzone numbers were low. Whereas Julio got those chances and he still wasn’t an endzone guy.

AJ also felt a little more durable as well. So if both were given a peak Manning throwing them the ball, I’d probably feel more comfortable with AJ giving me the better TD numbers while the yards should be a similar enough.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2022 at 11:57 AM, CosmicCrown said:

Two Titan legends going head to head

His legs are toast right now - guy can't go a week or two without pulling a hamstring nowadays.

This being said, I expect the Colts to bring him in around or after Training Camp. Michael Pittman Jr is still the #1, Alec Pierce is a very raw rookie (with some really impressive tools) and Parris Campbell can't seem to stay healthy - so Julio slots into that #2 battle with these two in TC.