My offer to Terry McLaruin

DCNative

AJ Brown was paid 100,000,0000 on a 4 year deal. DeVante Adams was paid 141.25 on a 5 year deal. 

My offer to Terry could surpass Browns by 10-15 million. Brown has 8 more TDs than Terry but Terry value to us is worth the money. Terry McLaruin is Washington's DeVante Adams. So my offer would be 5 years 120 Millon, 85 million guaranteed. 

Let's start negotiations. 

Not trying to be difficult, but just for the record, 4/$100M is actually more (on a yearly basis, at least) than 5/$120M. On its face, I’d much rather give Terry the 5/120 because it would mean an extra year on the back end for $20M. Which I suspect will still look like a good value in 2026, even though Terry will be into his 30s by then. 

AJ got $57M guaranteed, so giving Terry $85M would be a massive jump from there. Adams only got $67.5M guaranteed over 5 years, so there’s really no way Terry is going to approach that territory. If he wants an absolutely unprecedented $85M guaranteed, that would be the entire contract for me. I’m not giving extra contract money on top of that massive guarantee. 

I think he’ll come in right around Brown’s deal. I think the Eagles overpaid, which they probably had to do in order to get their money’s worth out of the trade they made for him — but I do think that’s going to be a bit of a sticky point in the negotiations, because $25M is too much for Terry based on the other deals we’ve seen for good receivers this offseason (with Christian Kirk being the major exception). 

My proposal (as Washington) would be something like 5/$115M with $60M guaranteed. That’s way more than I expected it to take to retain him 6 months ago, but their “conservative” approach (that doesn’t conserve a damn thing) has put us here after the WR market exploded. It’s more than I’d like to pay him, to be honest — but for some guys, you just bite the bullet and pay. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Not trying to be difficult, but just for the record, 4/$100M is actually more (on a yearly basis, at least) than 5/$120M. On its face, I’d much rather give Terry the 5/120 because it would mean an extra year on the back end for $20M. Which I suspect will still look like a good value in 2026, even though Terry will be into his 30s by then. 

AJ got $57M guaranteed, so giving Terry $85M would be a massive jump from there. Adams only got $67.5M guaranteed over 5 years, so there’s really no way Terry is going to approach that territory. If he wants an absolutely unprecedented $85M guaranteed, that would be the entire contract for me. I’m not giving extra contract money on top of that massive guarantee. 

I think he’ll come in right around Brown’s deal. I think the Eagles overpaid, which they probably had to do in order to get their money’s worth out of the trade they made for him — but I do think that’s going to be a bit of a sticky point in the negotiations, because $25M is too much for Terry based on the other deals we’ve seen for good receivers this offseason (with Christian Kirk being the major exception). 

My proposal (as Washington) would be something like 5/$115M with $60M guaranteed. That’s way more than I expected it to take to retain him 6 months ago, but their “conservative” approach (that doesn’t conserve a damn thing) has put us here after the WR market exploded. It’s more than I’d like to pay him, to be honest — but for some guys, you just bite the bullet and pay. 

or you pay him $3 mill this year and Franchise him twice . Which is ( I think ) their plan . R R just ticks me off saying "It's only a matter of time " . He's just lying .

12 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Bingo. If you want to go the route of guaranteeing the money (I wouldn't), then 4/85 FULLY G'ed is about it. Even that seems high. 

42 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I still think that's a fair deal. 

32 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Bingo. If you want to go the route of guaranteeing the money (I wouldn't), then 4/85 FULLY G'ed is about it. Even that seems high. 

Y'all really talking about losing McLaruin because of money. Money they absolutely have and Terry absolutely has earned. 

3 minutes ago, DCNative said:

Y'all really talking about losing McLaruin because of money. Money they absolutely have and Terry absolutely has earned. 

No one is speaking of that lol. You want to give a Top 10 WR Top 2 money. That doesn't financially gel with where we are with other players that need to be paid too. We can't handcuff ourselves. The offer to pay him the equivalent of AJ Brown is fair for both parties. 

It COULD be possible Terry just doesn't want to play here either a la Scherff. We don't speak of it, but ... I mean ... what if?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Cooper Kupp 3 year extension was for 75 million guaranteed. Plus they added Robinson and Wagner. Your really making no other agrument for losing McLaruin other than the willingness to Pay him. 

6 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

No one is speaking of that lol. You want to give a Top 10 WR Top 2 money. That doesn't financially gel with where we are with other players that need to be paid too. We can't handcuff ourselves. The offer to pay him the equivalent of AJ Brown is fair for both parties. 

It COULD be possible Terry just doesn't want to play here either a la Scherff. We don't speak of it, but ... I mean ... what if?

What other players? Terry is our #1 offensive weapon. Without him this offense would've been disastrous over the past 3 years. The market is what it is. Pay him or continue to show fans plus other Players why Washington isn't a place you want to play for. 

I wouldn't want to be here if they are talking behind close doors about him the way you guys here are discussion his Value to this team. 

Edited by DCNative

What other players? Terry is our #1 offensive weapon. Without him this offense would've been disastrous over the past 3 years.

Eventually, Sweat, Young, Payne and then smaller ones like Holcomb, Curl.

The market is what it is. Pay him or continue to show fans plus other Players why Washington isn't a place you want to play for. 

I agree. Pay him that AJ Brown deal or an equivalent. Structure it now too instead of too much in the future to help out. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Eventually, Sweat, Young, Payne and then smaller ones like Holcomb, Curl.

I agree. Pay him that AJ Brown deal or an equivalent. Structure it now too instead of too much in the future to help out. 

Do you really believe they can run out of money not to have enough to pay those guys? Once again the Rams made a way, other NFL Teams find ways. Washington needs to do the same. 

Do you really believe they can run out of money not to have enough to pay those guys? Once again the Rams made a way, other NFL Teams find ways. Washington needs to do the same. 

I believe the Rams situation is different from our own and it isn't apples to apples.

Again, pay McLaurin. Pay him. Give him the damn AJ Brown deal. Don't know how many times I need to say it to you. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DCNative said:

I think 4 of them got traded. Yeah, they got paid but not by their team .

38 minutes ago, DCNative said:

I wouldn't want to be here if they are talking behind close doors about him the way you guys here are discussion his Value to this team. 

He'd be insulted that many are saying pay him as a Top 6-8 WR? 

Yes, you wanted to give him a bigger deal than Tyreek Hill ... and I am not for that. I'm shocked that that is insulting. Thankfully, Terry doesn't carry the same attitude you do. 

• Like 1