My offer to Terry McLaruin

DCNative

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

He'd be insulted that many are saying pay him as a Top 8 WR? 

That wasn't your 1st option though. You definitely would've preferred a lower deal. As if Terry isn't a top WR in the NFL or especially to the Washington Franchise. 

1 minute ago, DCNative said:

That wasn't your 1st option though. You definitely would've preferred a lower deal. As if Terry isn't a top WR in the NFL or especially to the Washington Franchise. 

Where was that? Where did I say that? Is a Top 6-8 WR not a Top WR in the NFL?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Where was that? Where did I say that? Is a Top 6-8 WR not a Top WR in the NFL?

How about all the excuses made that signing Terry would stop them from signing others. 

You say the Rams situation isn't our situation but yet refuse accept That Washington is the reason it's not. They can easily sign Terry, Payne, Sweat, Chase, Curl, and Holecomb IF THEY WANT TOO. 

Just stop with the excuses and say Washington isn't gonna pay Market Value to keep all them together. It's a big difference between what Washington Can do oppose to what they are Willing to do. 

They weren't willing to Trade Cousins to San Fran for the 2nd overall pick. They weren't willing to sign Cousins to a 84 million dollar guaranteed to contract. I believe they where Willing to pay Schreff he choice early on he didn't want to be here long term. 

Edited by DCNative

Just now, DCNative said:

How about all the excuses made that signing Terry would stop them from signing others. 

I said doing your contract would handcuff things differently. I didn't say it would stop. You are misconstruing words for your own narrative. Again. 

Just now, DCNative said:

You say the Rams situation isn't our situation but yet refuse accept That Washington is the reason it's not. They can easily sign Terry, Payne, Sweat, Chase, Curl, and Holecomb IF THEY WANT TOO. 

That's actually the EXACT reason why I said that in a giant post that you never bothered to read. You literally just made my point for me. 

Just now, DCNative said:

Just stop with the excuses and say Washington isn't gonna pay Market Value to keep all them together. It's a big difference between what Washington Can do oppose to what they a Willing to do. 

I can't speak to what the team is going to do. Neither can you. What I would do, which you keep saying I say differently, is pay Terry McLaurin. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I said doing your contract would handcuff things differently. I didn't say it would stop. You are misconstruing words for your own narrative. Again. 

That's actually the EXACT reason why I said that in a giant post that you never bothered to read. You literally just made my point for me. 

I can't speak to what the team is going to do. Neither can you. What I would do, which you keep saying I say differently, is pay Terry McLaurin. 

Point being Washington can offer and sign Terry to a 5 year 120 million dollar (60-80 guaranteed) and still resign Payne, Sweat, Chase, Holecomb, Curl if they Want too. 

I can't help but think of the ineptness of this front office.

One example is the J.D. McKissic ordeal.

Didn't we offer WR Amari Cooper like 5 yr/120 M dollar deal last yr?

Is McLaurin wanting more? Are we not offering that? 

It's hard to tell if it's a money issue, a McLaurin wanting to get the hell out of town money don't matter this team sucks issue, or what the heck is going on.

But if there's 1 player that has earned the right to load up the Brinks truck on this team? It's been Terry McLaurin.

He's a locker room leader, on the field leader & his production is consistent.

And he's done this with no QB basically.

If McLaurin can't land a new deal, who can? Right? 

4 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Didn't we offer WR Amari Cooper like 5 yr/120 M dollar deal last yr?

He signed with Dallas at 5 yr/$100m with $60 guaranteed. Supposedly, we offered a smidge more with guarantees unknown but details were sparse. I doubt it went all the way to $120 but who knows?

AJ Brown just signed 4 yr/$100 million. So basically the same contract with one less year on the deal. 

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

He signed with Dallas at 5 yr/$100m with $60 guaranteed. Supposedly, we offered a smidge more with guarantees unknown but details were sparse. I doubt it went all the way to $120 but who knows?

AJ Brown just signed 4 yr/$100 million. So basically the same contract with one less year on the deal. 

Looking at AJ’s contract, that “4th” year (which is 2026 because it’s an extension of his existing rookie contract that still has one year left on it) seems like it’s almost certainly a bogus year. His base salary alone is sitting at $30M and the overall cap hit is almost $38M.

Hard to imagine they’re going to pay that, so the actual commitment on the extension looks to be 3/$67.5M (the value of those first 3 years plus the dead cap hit on the 4th year that they probably plan to bail out of). That would put the actual commitment at about $22.5M AAV, which lines up more closely with the values we’re seeing in all the other deals. 

Of course, what will happen if AJ continues to play well (and they continue to be competitive) is they’ll restructure that last year and spread the money out into a new extension for cap purposes — so it becomes tricky to build that possibility into the actual valuation of the current contract. 

Looking at the numbers on that deal, I’d likely do the exact same contract for Terry. Maybe I’d kick him a little more guaranteed just for the ego side of it. It gets steep in 2024, but you can work around that. Plus, you could even start the restructuring/money shifting process then, if you needed to make the cap space to keep a competitive team together.

2022: $5.63M

2023: $8.51M

2024: $27.68M (possible restructure)

2025: $22.68M

2026: [Gone or restructured]

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

@e16bball so you hate Terry, got it

/s

😂 I mean I like Terry, and I like winning — but having the most cap space every year and saving Dan Snyder as much money as possible is what really gets me going as a fan. I’ve been found out, I admit it, and I apologize to any better fans who care more about having good players and winning Super Bowls. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, e16bball said:

😂 I mean I like Terry, and I like winning — but having the most cap space every year and saving Dan Snyder as much money as possible is what really gets me going as a fan. I’ve been found out, I admit it, and I apologize to any better fans who care more about having good players and winning Super Bowls. 

Based on your plan above, we can assume the cap will still skyrocket some too. I think it makes the numbers more reasonable to hit now and adjust later. I would guess the cap would be at LEAST $20-25 million higher in 2024 assuming no more 2020 craziness, and a reasonable expectation of 6-8% growth. So maybe $230ish?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Looking at AJ’s contract, that “4th” year (which is 2026 because it’s an extension of his existing rookie contract that still has one year left on it) seems like it’s almost certainly a bogus year. His base salary alone is sitting at $30M and the overall cap hit is almost $38M.

Hard to imagine they’re going to pay that, so the actual commitment on the extension looks to be 3/$67.5M (the value of those first 3 years plus the dead cap hit on the 4th year that they probably plan to bail out of). That would put the actual commitment at about $22.5M AAV, which lines up more closely with the values we’re seeing in all the other deals. 

Of course, what will happen if AJ continues to play well (and they continue to be competitive) is they’ll restructure that last year and spread the money out into a new extension for cap purposes — so it becomes tricky to build that possibility into the actual valuation of the current contract. 

Looking at the numbers on that deal, I’d likely do the exact same contract for Terry. Maybe I’d kick him a little more guaranteed just for the ego side of it. It gets steep in 2024, but you can work around that. Plus, you could even start the restructuring/money shifting process then, if you needed to make the cap space to keep a competitive team together.

2022: $5.63M

2023: $8.51M

2024: $27.68M (possible restructure)

2025: $22.68M

2026: [Gone or restructured]

Yeah, the big issue here is the guaranteed money. I'm willing to do the same guarantees AJ got and maybe a little more since Terry is our "homegrown" player. The last year is always the bogus year and there to help the team amortize the guaranteed money better so they can pay more of it to the player. So yeah, give him the Brown deal and tack on some additional guaranteed $$ to it (not $10M but $2M-$5M) and call it a day. Terry is a top WR. He's definitely top 10 WR. But I'm not paying him more than Hill or Kupp or any of the other Top 5 WRs. Just not.

27 minutes ago, e16bball said:

"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but the highest form of intelligence." /Oscar Wilde

Edited by RSkinGM
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Based on your plan above, we can assume the cap will still skyrocket some too. I think it makes the numbers more reasonable to hit now and adjust later. I would guess the cap would be at LEAST $20-25 million higher in 2024 assuming no more 2020 craziness, and a reasonable expectation of 6-8% growth. So maybe $230ish?

Yeah, that’s always the big caveat to keep in mind when we see future numbers that make us squeamish: future cap increases will make those numbers look more manageable as a proportion of the total pie you get to spend. 

I think conservatively 6% is probably a fair estimate — with the economy seemingly in the midst of a bit of downturn, I think it’s probably fair to expect the owners to try to keep the cap down as much as they can (though the degree of inflation would perhaps suggest it should be otherwise). 

At roughly 6% increases over the next two season, we’d be looking at something in the ballpark of $234M. That would put a $27.8M cap number at about 11.9% of the cap. Which is really more than you’d like to pay anyone other than a QB or a maybe a truly game-wrecking pass-rusher…but it’s manageable if that’s the worst season of a long-term deal for a star player. 

In terms of the rest of the context of that year, our big FAs prior to 2024 currently look to be Sweat, Fuller, Jackson, and Samuel. Presumably some of those guys will be extended or re-signed prior to that offseason, but their numbers should be manageable in the first year of those new deals. Chase Young will be on his 5th-year option season, his extension will be the big talking point presumably. Sam Cosmi will be in the last year of his rookie deal, he will probably be looking at a solid raise as well. It’s the last year of the deals for Wentz ($28M), Leno ($14M), Roullier ($13M), and Thomas ($8M), so they’ll have to be making some decisions on those guys long-term. And Jonathan Allen will be plugging right along at $21M/year, so that’s a number that might need a little adjusting if Terry is also going to be carrying a really big cap figure that year.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yeah, the big issue here is the guaranteed money. I'm willing to do the same guarantees AJ got and maybe a little more since Terry is our "homegrown" player. The last year is always the bogus year and there to help the team amortize the guaranteed money better so they can pay more of it to the player. So yeah, give him the Brown deal and tack on some additional guaranteed $$ to it (not $10M but $2M-$5M) and call it a day. Terry is a top WR. He's definitely top 10 WR. But I'm not paying him more than Hill or Kupp or any of the other Top 5 WRs. Just not.

Yeah, I love him, but he just hasn’t shown the level of production to put him in the same class as guys like Adams, Kupp, Hill, Hopkins, Diggs, etc. And he’s probably been outpaced by the superstar kids in Jefferson and Chase, as well. 

Where he fits is somewhere in that big mess of guys behind that top tier, the group that includes guys like Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, DK Metcalf, Tyler Lockett, AJ Brown, DJ Moore, Amari Cooper, Keenan Allen, Deebo Samuel, Calvin Ridley, etc. I’d give him favorable treatment among those guys because he’s done nearly as much with absolute garbage talent around him, but it’s awfully tough at the moment to say he has to be right at the top of that group either. 

His contract should come in somewhere near AJ Brown and DJ Moore. That honestly seems like the sort of statement that should be so obvious and self-evident (to both sides) that I don’t see why this is proving to be at all difficult to get done. 

• Like 1