My offer to Terry McLaruin

DCNative

15 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Whomever is willing to stay in this godforsaken franchise while playing at a high level deserves to be overpaid lol. Give Terry whatever he wants. Hopefully it will keep Rivera from trading for McCaffrey next season. 

I mean, I hear you. I’m not letting him go unless the money gets absolutely out of line. 

But there has to be some line, I feel like. Putting aside the franchise and its issues momentarily, I really don’t see how anyone could justify paying him more than Adams, Kupp, Diggs, and Hill (among the WRs who have gotten paid recently). It’s a different zip code of production. So if he’s trying to push up into that $26-30M range, I think the only you could justify it is by accepting that you’re paying a multi-million dollar penalty annually for being the team we are. Which stings. No one is asking/expecting him to take a hometown discount, but damn…making us pay more to keep him? Yikes. 

At the end of the day, the AJ Brown contract is pretty close to the line for me. I’d probably go 4/$104M ($50M guaranteed) or maybe all the way to 5/$125M ($65M guaranteed) if we were talking an even longer deal. But beyond that, it’s kinda just extortion. And I don’t like that. I love Terry, but we’re talking about a guy who is going to be 27 and has essentially averaged 1000 yards a season. He means more to us than he does to the rest of the league, and it would be a little bit of a shame to know he was holding the team hostage over that fact. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I mean, I hear you. I’m not letting him go unless the money gets absolutely out of line. 

But there has to be some line, I feel like. Putting aside the franchise and its issues momentarily, I really don’t see how anyone could justify paying him more than Adams, Kupp, Diggs, and Hill (among the WRs who have gotten paid recently). It’s a different zip code of production. So if he’s trying to push up into that $26-30M range, I think the only you could justify it is by accepting that you’re paying a multi-million dollar penalty annually for being the team we are. Which stings. No one is asking/expecting him to take a hometown discount, but damn…making us pay more to keep him? Yikes. 

At the end of the day, the AJ Brown contract is pretty close to the line for me. I’d probably go 4/$104M ($50M guaranteed) or maybe all the way to 5/$125M ($65M guaranteed) if we were talking an even longer deal. But beyond that, it’s kinda just extortion. And I don’t like that. I love Terry, but we’re talking about a guy who is going to be 27 and has essentially averaged 1000 yards a season. He means more to us than he does to the rest of the league, and it would be a little bit of a shame to know he was holding the team hostage over that fact. 

If we had GOLD STAR likes.. I'd give you one . !

59 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Why all of sudden would Terry's Character change? Why would Terry be asking for a deal that would hold the Team hostage. Nothing Terry has done or said says he is asking for some Ridiculous contract, yet Washington has a LONG History of mismanagement and mishandling things in the front office. Trying to insinuate this is on Terry McLaruin anyway is just dead wrong. 

6 minutes ago, DCNative said:

Why all of sudden would Terry's Character change? Why would Terry be asking for a deal that would hold the Team hostage. Nothing Terry has done or said says he is asking for some Ridiculous contract, yet Washington has a LONG History of mismanagement and mishandling things in the front office. Trying to insinuate this is on Terry McLaruin anyway is just dead wrong. 

Wait a minute . I've NEVER heard him say he WANTS to be here, Wants to be a Commnader for life .. I've never heard him say anything about his future honestly . one way or the other . AND you still can't spell his name !

Edited by RSkinGM
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Wait a minute . I've NEVER heard him say he WANTS to be here, Wants to be a Commnader for life .. I've never heard him say anything about his future honestly . one way or the other . AND you still can't spell his name !

Have you heard him say he doesn't want to be here? If so sure he doesn't want to be in Washington for life, why haven't you suggested just trading him away Now? Instead of tagging him for constantly for 3 years. 

4 minutes ago, DCNative said:

Have you heard him say he doesn't want to be here? If so sure he doesn't want to be in Washington for life, why haven't you suggested just trading him away Now? Instead of tagging him for constantly for 3 years. 

I said if you could comprehend .. I haven't heard him say anything ONE WAY or the OTHER. That means I haven't heard him say he doesn't want to be here . I HAVE suggested trading him now if we can get a #1 . I don't want to but I don't think they'll get a deal done. I never said I WANTED to tag him twice. I said that's what I EXPECT to happen . 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I said if you could comprehend .. I haven't heard him say anything ONE WAY or the OTHER. That means I haven't heard him say he doesn't want to be here . I HAVE suggested trading him now if we can get a #1 . I don't want to but I don't think they'll get a deal done. I never said I WANTED to tag him twice. I said that's what I EXPECT to happen . 

And I asked why would you Assume or Suggest he doesn't want to be here!!!! Instead of holding the Franchise Accountable it's seems you want to start throwing shade Terry's way. That's not cool! 

Since you Expect them to Tag him, you should be calling them out on that! 

3 minutes ago, DCNative said:

And I asked why would you Assume or Suggest he doesn't want to be here!!!! Instead of holding the Franchise Accountable it's seems you want to start throwing shade Terry's way. That's not cool! 

Since you Expect them to Tag him, you should be calling them out on that! 

I never suggested he didn't want to be here . AND I do think either side could be the villian here . We don't know the BID and the ASK- to use stock trade terms . We just don't know . 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I never suggested he didn't want to be here . AND I do think either side could be the villian here . We don't know the BID and the ASK- to use stock trade terms . We just don't know . 

We do know what is acceptable and not acceptable from the deals that have been done. We do know the history of this front office not paying players or just using the The Franchise Tag and letting players go. Could Terry be next? Why would that even happen? History says it's more on Washington than anyone else. 

2 hours ago, DCNative said:

I’m not trying to put anything on anyone. I have no idea whose fault it is that negotiations continue to move slowly, although I’m with you — the team is the one with the history of screwing stuff up.

What I am saying is that if they did put one of those deals on the table that I suggested (4/$104M or 5/$125M) and Terry still wasn’t willing to sign, then that  to me would signal that he has no interest in signing here unless we vastly overpay him to stay. Which is basically where it seems Scherff was, as well. 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 2:33 PM, e16bball said:

While I hear this, are you willing to lose Terry over 3 or 4 million avg per year?

I’m not. Find some other way to find that $3 to $5 mil jag starter by the draft or by signing a FA who costs $1 or 2 mil instead of $3 to $5 mil.

I do 100% agree that Terry should get the same or a similar contract to AJ Brown. 

Edited by turtle28

On 6/22/2022 at 5:48 PM, e16bball said:

I’m not trying to put anything on anyone. I have no idea whose fault it is that negotiations continue to move slowly, although I’m with you — the team is the one with the history of screwing stuff up.

What I am saying is that if they did put one of those deals on the table that I suggested (4/$104M or 5/$125M) and Terry still wasn’t willing to sign, then that  to me would signal that he has no interest in signing here unless we vastly overpay him to stay. Which is basically where it seems Scherff was, as well. 

Yeah, I’d Terry isn’t signing an AJ Brown type deal then it’s trade time for me. Trade Terry like the Titans did with Brown. Take back that 1st round pick and move forward.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

https://theredzone.org/Blog-Description/EntryId/23605/George-Kittle-expects-Deebo-Samuel-contract-news--in-three-weeks-

Maybe McLaurins team is wanting to see how this unfolds. Not that he should get the same kinda deal.

Maybe.  There is always another WR deal to come, but frankly how many more comps does Terry or washington need to find a number?  Not to mention there were deals signed this offseason by players who are clearly better than him so a top end should be pretty clear.