Elusive_Tiger

DT Dexter Lawrence, Ed Oliver, Rashan Gary

WR N'Keal Harry, Ahmmon Richards, Collin Johnson, AJ Brown

QB Justin Herbert, Jacob Eason, Shea Patterson, Deondre Francois

RB David Montgomery, Justice Hill

OT Greg Little, Jonah Williams, Trey Adams

LB Devin White

DE Nick Bosa 

Feel free to add on. Just some that have caught my attention so far.

The future D-Line class is studly. I think Ed Oliver is on the same level as Ndamukong Suh and Sheldon Richardson as a DT prospect and while he isn't quite his brother, Nick Bosa is darn good too.

I also love A.J. Brown. I was incredibly intrigued by him coming into the year and he hasn't disappointed. If he decides to pursue football and give up baseball, he has a bright, bright future.

For the sophomore class it is all about the DL, there are four guys here if not five where if they could come out in this years draft they could all be 1st round picks.  As a true 4/3 DE Bosa and Gary could be the 1st draft in this years draft easily and Oliver could easily be the 1st DT taken in this years draft as well.  So crazy talent at that DL position for the sophomore class.

Ed Oliver Houston SOPH

Rashan Gary Michigan SOPH

Nick Bosa Ohio State SOPH

Brian Burns Florida State SOPH

Dexter Lawrence Clemson SOPH

Raekwon Davis Alabama SOPH

Joe Jackson Miami FL SOPH

Anthony Nelson Iowa RS SOPH

These three have 1st round potential at corner all day I think, very good players and Green is really coming on of late as is Young.  

Jack Jones USC SOPH

AJ Green Ok State SOPH

Malek Young Miami FL SOPH

Nate Herbig Stanford is the most interesting OL I think in not a great SOPH group so far.  The TE class is loaded with a ton of talented players especially with Caleb Wilson, Noah Fant and Sean McKeon.  The WR class still has some guys that need to prove themselves, but could argue Kelvin Harmon and Marquise Brown headline it, they have out played Harry and Richards this year who I had ranked highly last season before Harmon and Brown showed out this year along with some others.  Khalil Tate is arguably the most interesting runner from the sophomore class, really be curious how he does as this year and next year moves on.  Still waiting on Eason to get his job back on Georgia, Fromm has been ok but obviously does not win games and does not have the arm talent Eason has.  Will see what happens there.  

Trey Smith on Tennessee might arguably be the most impressive freshman that is not talked about enough, kid could be a 1st rounder this year just on potential alone.  That freshman class of running backs with Jonathan Taylor, Najee Harris and AJ Dillion along with a few others are better than any SOPH running back I think.  That freshman RB class is crazy good.  Some impressive freshman WRs as well lead by Greg Dortch.  Andraez Williams is an outstanding corner I think as a RS FR and is a big time player, potential 1st rounder, as is Paddy Fisher at linebacker for Northwestern as a RS FR.    

Did not include these guys overall because I think all will come out early as RS SOPH prospects.  Bates and James are very interesting safeties and some of the best in the nation.  James and Ferrell are kind of obvious ones.

Derwin James Florida State RS SOPH

Clelin Ferrell Clemson RS SOPH

Jessie Bates III Wake Forest RS SOPH

Could bring up a lot more guys but those few standout....

Have to also talk about the most disappointing SOPH prospects this year in terms of their development......thankfully they still have time to improve.

Cam Brown Penn State: Really disappointed in his lack of production with his amazing frame and length at linebacker.  Really thought he would be a major impact player with his size and speed but needs a lot more time and really has to learn how to get off blocks.

Jawaan Taylor Florida: Kid is a massive human, huge arms and big strong kid.  But has got beat in pass pro a lot this season, really struggles with that and is not playing at that elite level right now.

Trayveon Williams Texas A&M: Had those few standout games last year but this season is not that explosive of a back.  Struggles to make defenders miss and if the blocking is not there he does not show much wiggle to him at all.

Binjimen Victor Ohio State: Is finally playing a little bit better of late but I thought the kid was going to blow up the Big Ten with his height and speed.  Is getting a little more playmaking chances and making the most of him but still should be an elite level WR all the time.

Kekoa Crawford Michigan: Got the famed #1 jersey, shows slight flashes but really has not been that good at all this season and is not consistent what so ever.  Thankfully he has some more time to develop.

Kendall Sheffield Ohio State: Thought he would be a lot better than he is.  Still ok corner but not as elite as I was expecting him to be, still has a long ways to go.

Nick McCloud NC State: Thought he was more of an elite top end level corner with that length, has done ok this year but not great considering the amazing front four he has ahead of him.  Thought he would make a lot more plays on the football and get more INTs for sure.

Tyrone Wheatley Michigan RS: Gets playing time but still no real improvement or development as a pass catcher.  Even as a blocker he is being out played by his TE teammates who are almost all better pass catching weapons than he is.  Might lack the needed athletic ability to really get separation and make big plays down field.

Jon Dietzen Wisconsin RS: Is playing at OT so is way out of position I think, is a guard all the way.  Has struggled in pass protection a lot I think, cannot handle rushers that well, wish they moved him back into guard but doubt that will happen.

A'Shon Riggins Indiana: Thought he showed some ability and talent last year, has not played up to that talent this year.  Looks pretty average at best and does not make as many plays as he did last season.  Has been slowed by injured however of late.

Dee Anderson LSU: Thought he could finally get some PT this year, has done little to nothing in an offense that needs new weapons at WR.  Disappointing year for him.

Dylan Jackson Stanford RS: With his size and athletic ability he should make far more plays than he has this season.  Outside of Phillips he is part of a very disappointing Stanford front seven I think.  

A few players really slowed by injury this year and some are out for the season:

Terrell Lewis Alabama

Antonie Winfield Jr. Minnesota

Miller Forristall Alabama

Christian Miller Alabama RS

Marcelino Ball Indiana

Trevon Diggs Alabama

Melquise Stovall Cal

DaiShon Neal Nebraska RS

Tai'yon Devers Minnesota

3 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I've been calling it for the past year and continue to, Robert(B.B) Landers

I agree, Robert Landers is a very interesting DT prospect with his speed and quickness.  Does need to be more productive however and get to the QB more often with that quickness.  Very talented player though for sure but still needs to come into his own and be more consistently dominant.  Jeffery Simmons for example is more productive as a tackler from that DT spot and also has versatility as a potential 3/4 DE, he has really stood out this year for Mississippi State I think.

It is kind of strange, no freshman DT has really really stood out to me this year, odd because last year you had Oliver and Lawrence who were crazy impressive as FR DTs.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I agree, Robert Landers is a very interesting DT prospect with his speed and quickness.  Does need to be more productive however and get to the QB more often with that quickness.  Very talented player though for sure but still needs to come into his own and be more consistently dominant.  Jeffery Simmons for example is more productive as a tackler from that DT spot and also has versatility as a potential 3/4 DE, he has really stood out this year for Mississippi State I think.

It is kind of strange, no freshman DT has really really stood out to me this year, odd because last year you had Oliver and Lawrence who were crazy impressive as FR DTs.  

I think Landers is plenty productive, given that he doesn't start (Neither doesn Nick Bosa) he just comes in and balls. 

8 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I think Landers is plenty productive, given that he doesn't start (Neither doesn Nick Bosa) he just comes in and balls. 

Maybe but Bosa has 18 TFL and 10 sacks in two years so far, Landers has 12 TFL and 1 sack in two years, and about 1/4th of the TFL numbers where mostly in one game freshman year for Landers.  But maybe it is a playing time issue, be curious if Landers could beat a double team but he will not usually get one this year,  so is always one on one it seems with that DE talent they have.  Still like to see a player get home and get sacks especially on such a talented DL where he has space and single blocking he should be able to beat consistently.  Do hope he gets more playing time though and he should.

Ed Oliver has great production last year and this year and is consistently double teamed basically all game long and has little DL talent around him.  Not near the support Landers has around him.

13 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Maybe but Bosa has 18 TFL and 10 sacks in two years so far, Landers has 12 TFL and 1 sack in two years, and about 1/4th of the TFL numbers where mostly in one game freshman year for Landers.  But maybe it is a playing time issue, be curious if Landers could beat a double team but he will not usually get one this year,  so is always one on one it seems with that DE talent they have.  Still like to see a player get home and get sacks especially on such a talented DL where he has space and single blocking he should be able to beat consistently.  Do hope he gets more playing time though and he should.

Ed Oliver has great production last year and this year and is consistently double teamed basically all game long and has little DL talent around him.  Not near the support Landers has around him.

Hence the original headline, Prospects to keep an eye on, I never tried to compare Ed Oliver and Landers, I just intended to show guys who may have not seen this guy play, that's all. And based on film, you don't necessarily have to make the play to have an impact, and just because you make the play doesn't make you the cause of it.

Archived