Do our Corners have our Backs, and Safely at that...?

vike daddy

a discussion of our defensive backfield in 2017 and moving forward.

do we need to draft highly to replenish? will Waynes work out? will Sendejo's skills diminish?

we'll start with Waynes:

Trae Waynes was stride-for-stride with Washington's Maurice Harris in the first quarter, but the receiver made a one-handed catch for a 36-yard touchdown on Washington’s opening drive.

Waynes, however, bounced back nicely. PFF counted three other times that Washington threw into Waynes’ coverage, and the 2015 first-round pick allowed just one reception for 7 yards.

PFF calculated the passer rating allowed by Waynes since Week 5 at 77.9, “despite being thrown at 36 times over that span.” That number of targets since Week 5 is tied for fourth-most among cornerbacks.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/3-Stats-That-Stood-Out-Vikings-at-Redskins/7bd3106d-988f-4f33-8e57-b1bcc4148a6f?sf166963223=1

Wayne’s has been playing very well this year. He’s constantly being put under a microscope by fans, and every little thing that can be perceived as a negative seems to get magnified. But, when you count in the amount of times Wayne’s has been thrown at, it’s not because he’s bad, it because he’s a better option to throw at than Rhodes. 

Waynes is going to make it difficult to move on from him, I feel. 

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

a discussion of our defensive backfield in 2017 and moving forward.

do we need to draft highly to replenish? will Waynes work out? will Sendejo's skills diminish?

we'll start with Waynes:

Trae Waynes was stride-for-stride with Washington's Maurice Harris in the first quarter, but the receiver made a one-handed catch for a 36-yard touchdown on Washington’s opening drive.

Waynes, however, bounced back nicely. PFF counted three other times that Washington threw into Waynes’ coverage, and the 2015 first-round pick allowed just one reception for 7 yards.

PFF calculated the passer rating allowed by Waynes since Week 5 at 77.9, “despite being thrown at 36 times over that span.” That number of targets since Week 5 is tied for fourth-most among cornerbacks.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/3-Stats-That-Stood-Out-Vikings-at-Redskins/7bd3106d-988f-4f33-8e57-b1bcc4148a6f?sf166963223=1

I think Waynes played well yesterday...and has shown some growth through the season.  That catch by Harris I don't think anyone could defend. 

I am a little bit worried about the nicks and bumps that Rhodes has been taking.  I hope they don't have a cumulative effect with him.

Smith..well, is Smith!  It's so rare that he's out of perfect position.  I think he's the one guy this defense cannot lose for any extended period.

Sendejo played pretty well yesterday.  He is really good at attacking the ball as well as ball carrier.  However, he, to me, is the weakest link in the defensive backfield.  I would love to see the position upgraded...although Andrew has been serviceable...at best.

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Wayne’s has been playing very well this year. He’s constantly being put under a microscope by fans, and every little thing that can be perceived as a negative seems to get magnified. But, when you count in the amount of times Wayne’s has been thrown at, it’s not because he’s bad, it because he’s a better option to throw at than Rhodes. 

Waynes is going to make it difficult to move on from him, I feel. 

He might be expensive, that is my concern. Especially since Diggs, Barr, Kendricks and Hunter are more valuable players that need $8-$10+ million per year extensions.

i could see MN moving on in a couple years and letting Alexander take over.

Waynes does well when the play is in front of him. When trailing a receiver vertically, he gets grabby or doesn't have the awareness to break a pass up. Fortunately, pressure prevents offenses from regularly challenging Waynes vertically.

4 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

He might be expensive, that is my concern. Especially since Diggs, Barr, Kendricks and Hunter are more valuable players that need $8-$10+ million per year extensions.

I get the reasoning, but Zimmer preaches the importance of having good DBs and Spielman preaches the importance of keeping drafted talent here. That makes me think they'll try to get him to stay.

I've been awfully impressed with the progress that Waynes has made this year.  While he ain't going to be Rhodes, I think he'll be just fine playing opposite him.  It'll be an interesting call on deciding what to do with him.  I'd probably still pick up his 5th year option, but  who knows if they will be able to or even want to extend him.

As far as Sendejo, he's a good complement to Harry.  While he ain't Harry (although he might be hairy), he ain't Tyrell Johnson either.  I think they'll let him walk after the 2019 season though, so they'll have to have a replacement in place soon...it'll be either Anthony Harris or some other draftee not yet on the roster.    

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m not sure I expect Wayne’s to get re-signed either, I just think that by the time his contract runs out, he’ll have developed into a real nice cornerback, and the decision to let him walk will be a tough one. 

You don't even have to be a good CB to break bank in free agency. Remember Byron Maxwell a few years ago? If he can get a $50 Contract, so can Waynes.

By the time Waynes deal runs out, so will Alexander's.  This is why I'd look closely at CBs in one of the next two drafts.

3 hours ago, Klomp said:

I get the reasoning, but Zimmer preaches the importance of having good DBs and Spielman preaches the importance of keeping drafted talent here. That makes me think they'll try to get him to stay.

How many players will be making about $8-$10m per year in a couple of years?

Teddy, Diggs, Thielen (he's going to get paid), Reiff, Griffen, Hunter, Joseph, Barr, Kendricks, Rhodes, Smith. Lot of money to be giving out but that's what happens when you're good.

Perhaps Griffen, Joseph, Reiff and Smith drop off in a couple of years and get reduced deals.

I Think you have to manage to your strengths. Zimmer is a DB guru, unless you're an elite DB like Rhodes and Smith, you might be expendable unless you're playing on a Sendejo type deal. 

Archived