Do our Corners have our Backs, and Safely at that...?

vike daddy

3 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Would be nice to have a CB who has flashed get stashed on the PS. You can never have too many CBs in today's game.

Might be tough to hang onto practice squad CBs who flash in camp and the preseason. Zimmer has a reputation of developing CBs and MN is so deep at the position. A CB released by MN will surely be highly regarded. 

37 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

This is my main beef with Waynes, he doesn't "deny the ball" as well as I would like. He is good at tackling the receiver after they make the catch.
He is well behind Rhodes in that department, and it's likely he won't match Rhodes.

If Waynes doesn't take that next step as an elite CB, I don't mind shopping him around next year. Hughes might even be better in the long term.

Darren Wolfson✔@DWolfsonKSTP

#Vikings CB Mackensie Alexander had an MRI done on his injured ankle this morning. Told it didn’t show anything seriously bleeped up. So that’s good news. Team may update further on sprain, sprain type tomorrow. Sprains can be tricky. But it does appear he escaped serious injury.

• 1 month later...

Holton Hill, who said he has been playing outside cornerback in practices, has been in for just 20 defensive plays this season. But with Mackensie Alexander playing nickel back, Hill could be inserted if a replacement is needed for Xavier Rhodes or Trae Waynes. With Hughes out, coach Mike Zimmer said Hill could have an increased role. Zimmer said Hill has made progress since the regular-season opener, when he had an uneven showing in four first-half snaps.

Zimmer: “He keeps working every day. He’s a talented guy. Some of these young corners, it just takes awhile.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/10/18/vikings-hollywood-holton-hill-ready-for-increased-role/

the guy's nickname is Hollywood.

• 1 month later...

Holton Hill: "The game has slowed down so much for me. I'll be playing against one of the great quarterbacks in the league which is always excited and I'll have an extra chip on the shoulder."

https://kfan.iheart.com/featured/vikings-blog/content/2018-11-28-the-game-has-slowed-down-so-much-for-me-holton-hill-is-ready-waiting/

sure would like to see this guy succeed with us. big time.

• 3 weeks later...

When Mackensie Alexander got benched in Week 2 against the Green Bay Packers for allowing tight end Jimmy Graham to run free, there was a sense that the 2016 second-round pick might not become the nickel corner the Minnesota Vikings expected him to be. But over the second half of 2018, the former Clemson standout has taken hold of the position, which is highly valued by head coach Mike Zimmer.

According to Pro Football Focus, Alexander allowed 21 catches on 24 targets. Since then the third-year defensive back has given up 13 receptions on 23 targets for 107 yards (4.6 yards per attempt).

Zimmer:“He’s done a lot better lately. Probably the second half of the season. I think that’s why we’ve gotten better defensively is that position has gotten much more solidified. He’s done a good job in the running game, he’s had a couple nice pressures and he’s covered pretty well. Earlier in the year he was kind of like Xavier getting penalties but he’s gotten away from that. That’s helped a lot.”

“Going from college, all they do is play outside corner and they don’t play very many coverages and they don’t learn man-within-zone schemes and different types of zones. It’s really hard for those guys to go from outside to inside. Like with Trae we tried it his rookie year and things happen so much faster in there, there’s so many different things than just covering your guy. Generally it does take awhile for those guys to get to that spot. It’s about finding the skill set, finding the guy who’s intelligent enough to learn more than what they’ve had to learn, understanding offenses, understanding blitz adjustments, combination routes, there’s just so much more to learn.”

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/12/mackensie-alexander-turning-corner-nickel-position/

Not surprising to see spotrac get their information wrong. 

Harris was on the practice squad for the first 12 weeks of the season, therefore, he did not receive an accrued season for 2015. With 3 accrued seasons (2016-2018), Harris will be a restricted free agent come March. 

Archived