Do our Corners have our Backs, and Safely at that...?

vike daddy

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Not surprising to see spotrac get their information wrong. 

Harris was on the practice squad for the first 12 weeks of the season, therefore, he did not receive an accrued season for 2015. With 3 accrued seasons (2016-2018), Harris will be a restricted free agent come March. 

What does this mean for Iloka?  Do we keep him as a DB in pass-defense packages if he is not expected to start over Harris?  Sendejo is gone I would expect?

1 hour ago, perrynoid said:

What does this mean for Iloka?  Do we keep him as a DB in pass-defense packages if he is not expected to start over Harris?  Sendejo is gone I would expect?

Why would Iloka even be in the mix as a starter. You'd think he'd be in that role now over Harris. I'd like to bring Iloka back as a backup. Sendejo has to be released based on how Harris has played.

2 hours ago, perrynoid said:

I certainly don’t see any reason to re-sign Iloka. And with the play of Harris, plus his contract, there’s really no reason to keep Sendejo. 

Mackensie Alexander is the first person to blame himself for a slow start to his NFL career. A loudmouth prospect out of Clemson, he made waves as a 22-year-old, dubbing himself the best cornerback in the 2016 NFL Draft.

Alexander:  “They were asking me to do something that I wasn’t familiar with. It was hard to be in a situation where I was uncomfortable and I didn’t know it. It’s kind of different. That’s all it is. Just the comfort level is not there. You’re like, ‘Oh my gosh. I’m not used to this.’ It’s like, ‘I’m not good at that. I’m good at this other thing. You guys saw my film. I did this. I played this before. Why am I not doing this?’ You kind of fight it. Looking back on it now, it’s a blessing in disguise, and it’s working out for me. If I don’t have no ego in this game I’m not going to be as good as I want to be. There was a lot of ego involved. I didn’t like my situation. I’ve taken full responsibility. It’s about growing as an individual and knowing what I’m asked to do and then going out there and delivering  every week.”

“I’m not needed at cornerback; I’m needed at nickleback. That’s my focus. I love my role. I’m growing every day.”

Zimmer: “Since we’ve kind of gotten on a decent little roll here defensively, he’s played well. He’s a lot more in tune to detail. I think Jerry Gray and Terence Newman have both helped quite a bit in those areas. He was pretty immature when he first got here, he’s grown up a lot.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/12/18/no-longer-an-immature-kid-mackensie-alexander-is-thriving-for-the-vikings/

Zimmer really plays the fatherly, mentoring role with these young men and their development. only having daughters himself, i wonder if that is an additional reason why he relishes it so much...

• 5 weeks later...

The NFL’s most efficient tackler at the safety position in 2018 was none other than the Minnesota Vikings Harrison Smith, who missed just four of his 86 tackle attempts en route to a position-high 21.5 tackling efficiency. He missed just one tackle on his 406 run-defense snaps and three on his 571 snaps against the pass.

Though he played just 602 defensive snaps and attempted 42 tackles, Vikings safety Anthony Harris finished tied for third in tackling efficiency (21.0) among qualifying safeties in 2018. But, perhaps more impressive is Harris’ passer rating allowed in coverage, as he led all safeties with 250-plus coverage snaps played in passer rating allowed at 24.0. He allowed just 13 receptions for 52 yards and logged three interceptions across 324 coverage snaps.

https://www.vikings.com/news/lunchbreak-vikings-harrison-smith-anthony-harris?sf206219152=1

Archived