Sign in to follow this  
vike daddy

Do our Corners have our Backs, and Safely at that...?

I think we got to manage who retain and pay. I think we might even play the compensatory pick game since I think one of our QBs get a decent pay day this year followed by Waynes potentially the next maybe?

Edited by CriminalMind

2 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I think we got to manage who retain and pay. I think we might even play the compensatory pick game since I think one of our QBs get a decent pay day this year followed by Waynes potentially the next maybe?

I think that makes sense going forward. It will be hard for MN to compete in free agency. I think MN has about $45m in cap space in 2018. Half of that seems likely to go to Teddy and Keenum. Then you have to start thinking about Kendricks and Diggs, who are near the end of their cheap rookie contracts. Barr has a $12M cap hit in 2018 so a new deal might bring that down a bit.

Question is does MN use the 5th year option on Waynes?

Minny don't want to pick up the option, only to have to cut him due to salary the March before his 5th season, and lose the compensatory chance. I think we don't pick up the 5th year option, and after his 4th year he gets a pay day from someone else and we take the 3rd round comp pick (I don't think we sign "significant" free agents aside from our own this and next year). His replacement may not even be on the roster yet but Mac had a nice game this week in coverage

13 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

How many players will be making about $8-$10m per year in a couple of years?

Teddy, Diggs, Thielen (he's going to get paid), Reiff, Griffen, Hunter, Joseph, Barr, Kendricks, Rhodes, Smith. Lot of money to be giving out but that's what happens when you're good.

Perhaps Griffen, Joseph, Reiff and Smith drop off in a couple of years and get reduced deals.

I Think you have to manage to your strengths. Zimmer is a DB guru, unless you're an elite DB like Rhodes and Smith, you might be expendable unless you're playing on a Sendejo type deal. 

Thielen is already locked up through 2020.  Jarius' contract will come off the books next year, probably, as might Latavius' and Sharrif's (and they also have a potential out on Sendejo if they want to save some money),  I also believe they'll let Rudolph walk after the 2019 season, unless he wants to take a paycut, as he hits that 30-yr old mark in the last year of his deal.  I think they'll have to make a choice between Alexander and Waynes.    

5 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Thielen is already locked up through 2020.  Jarius' contract will come off the books next year, probably, as might Latavius' and Sharrif's (and they also have a potential out on Sendejo if they want to save some money),  I also believe they'll let Rudolph walk after the 2019 season, unless he wants to take a paycut, as he hits that 30-yr old mark in the last year of his deal.  I think they'll have to make a choice between Alexander and Waynes.    

Thielen has easily outperformed his deal. I could see him getting a raise in a year or two. I agree with Rudolph. Solid player but probably not worth what he's paid.

Edited by vikingsrule

Just now, vikingsrule said:

Thielen has easily outperformed his deal. I could see him getting a raise in a year or two.

He's only in the first year of the deal...nothing's likely to happen until 2020...I would say 2019, but they already have a lot going on that year.  

It's not only about that, but it is a lot about that. If Waynes could ever figure out where the ball is consistently he wouldn't be scrutinized the way he is now because the big plays often overshadow the good things he does.

10 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Wright Murray Floyd Bradford Robison is decent savings for this offseason

Robison will be back, as his contract goes down for the final year of his deal...but all the others, yeah, I agree they'll be out the door. 

Edited by disaacs

15 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Robison will be back, as his contract goes down for the final year of his deal...but all the others, yeah, I agree they'll be out the door. 

Doubtful on Wright. Seems he always sticks around plus we're losing Floyd. 

I could see Murray retuning too since Cook is in rehab and McKinnon is a FA. Murray is starting to be more productive.

The Vikings defense has allowed 9 passing touchdowns in 9 games (the stats show 10, but one TD is the fake punt against Chicago). 

Of those 9, two came in garbage time (1 against NO who scored with less than 2 minutes and trailed 29-12, and 1 against Baltimore which was the final play of the game). And two were more fluke plays than anything (the Sendejo tip against Chicago, and the one handed catch against Washington). You might even be able to argue that the two TDs allowed against Tampa Bay were garbage time TDs, one coming when they trailed 28-3 and the other when they trailed 31-10. 

Edited by SemperFeist

Vikings cornerback Mackensie Alexander celebrated his 24th birthday Sunday by making an interception. That was a rare accomplishment for Alexander, who didn’t pick off a pass at Clemson or in his first two NFL seasons. He did have one in a 2016 preseason game, but his previous one in a game that counted was at Immokalee (Fla.) High School.

Teddy Bridgewater: “How about Mackensie getting his first interception? If he had caught more interceptions in college, he would have known what to do with the ball.’’

http://www.twincities.com/2017/11/12/vikings-qb-case-keenum-throws-td-pass-gets-left-out-of-celebration/

Yeah, Alexander's ability to run with the ball after the Int was pretty pathetic. Usually those guys have an instinct to want to score, he just laid there for awhile and then got up.