Do our Corners have our Backs, and Safely at that...?

vike daddy

Vikings cornerback Xavier Rhodes had a frustrating game defending Lions wide receiver Marvin Jones Jr. and pleading his case with the officials Thursday. But, ultimately, Rhodes had the last laugh.Rhodes’ interception of Matthew Stafford on fourth-and-10 with three minutes remaining snuffed Detroit’s comeback hopes and helped Minnesota seal a 30-23 victory. It was the Lions’ last gasp. Jones finished with six receptions for 109 yards, including a 43-yard fourth-quarter touchdown he somehow ripped down despite being blanketed by Rhodes and Terence Newman. Rhodes also was called for a marginal pass interference penalty late in the second quarter, extending Detroit’s first touchdown drive, which culminated with Jones’ 6-yard scoring catch that trimmed the Vikings’ lead to 20-10.

Rhodes: “At the end of the day, we both battled. He had a good game. I’m happier about getting the pick to seal the game than worrying about Marvin catching balls and the referees throwing flags on me.”

Zimmer: “Xavier’s interception was unbelievable. Xavier got frustrated with the one penalty, but he’s an awfully good competitor and that play he made on fourth down was outstanding.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/11/23/vikings-xavier-rhodes-gets-last-laugh-on-lions-jones/

Looking back at the past few games Newman has been a godsend and actually bigger and more important in situations this year.

Moving him inside and not playing every down has really gave him some juice.

He is coming up huge against screens, playing great against some of the better slots while he is in there, and I believe has been great for pushing Alexander. My favorite is the new wrinkle we have added to the defense this year is our CB blitzing on the inside. He has been great at disguising that and getting pressure on the QB's.

Looks like he is back in his Dallas days again

We will miss him when he is gone.

2 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Looking back at the past few games Newman has been a godsend and actually bigger and more important in situations this year.

Moving him inside and not playing every down has really gave him some juice.

He is coming up huge against screens, playing great against some of the better slots while he is in there, and I believe has been great for pushing Alexander. My favorite is the new wrinkle we have added to the defense this year is our CB blitzing on the inside. He has been great at disguising that and getting pressure on the QB's.

Looks like he is back in his Dallas days again

We will miss him when he is gone.

We should thank him then by getting him a Superbowl ring.

• 2 weeks later...

that SHOULD have been a pick 6, he had Sendejo right behind him to make the tackle should he have missed it and the receiver gets the completion. maybe that's not how they're coached to play but it's doubtful.

on two plays in that game, Mac played as if he doesn't have arms.

I disagree that that play should have been a pick 6. He’s further behind the receiver than you think and he uses his inside arm to reach around and make the play. 

Plus, it’s 3rd down and you’re off the field. And while Sendejo was there, there’s no guarantee that he makes the tackle or that the receiver doesn’t catch the ball and get behind #12 who can block Sendejo. 

Zimmer teaches his guys to play sound, disciplined football. Not taking gambles. 

Earlier this week, Chiefs coach Andy Reid said that the team was evaluating possible discipline for cornerback Marcus Peters after Peters left the field early during last Sunday’s loss to the Jets.

Reid revealed the result of that evaluation on Wednesday. Reid announced that Peters has been suspended for this Sunday’s game against the Raiders.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/06/chiefs-suspend-marcus-peters-for-one-game/

12 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I was on the Peters bandwagon but man it really makes sense why we drafted Waynes. Peters is NOT worth the headache and Trae has been progressing nicely IMO. 

from a KC fan:

"He's our #1 CB by far but he hasn't been playing all that well lately. He's been very wishy washy in his tackling and has been having his little tantrums off and on. I think this suspension might actually be a good thing for him."

11 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I was on the Peters bandwagon but man it really makes sense why we drafted Waynes. Peters is NOT worth the headache and Trae has been progressing nicely IMO. 

You never know, a coach like Zimmer could have reigned him in, or on the other hand he could be just as much of a wildcard as he is now. Peters definitely has talent, and while I wanted us to go after him in the draft, the hindsight being 20/20 leads me to believe that we might not have gotten as talented of a player, but we probably got the right guy for what our team needs.

2 minutes ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

You never know, a coach like Zimmer could have reigned him in, or on the other hand he could be just as much of a wildcard as he is now. Peters definitely has talent, and while I wanted us to go after him in the draft, the hindsight being 20/20 leads me to believe that we might not have gotten as talented of a player, but we probably got the right guy for what our team needs.

There’s a reason Zim passed on him, too. People said that Reid would be the type of coach who could control Peters, but that’s not looking likely. 

Some guys just aren’t worth the headache, and Peters might be showing that. It will be interesting to see how he handles the suspension. Given his way of handling things in college, I wouldn’t hold my breath. 

Archived