Do our Corners have our Backs, and Safely at that...?

vike daddy

1 minute ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

the hindsight being 20/20 leads me to believe that we might not have gotten as talented of a player, but we probably got the right guy for what our team needs.

Which is exactly what I said at the time.  ;)  The lack of respect that he showed towards the coaching staff at Washington scared me to death...and I don't believe Zimmer would ever have wanted to deal with it, unlike Andy Reid, who suffers from Tice disease in attracting problem children and thinking he can control it.  He's better at it than Tice was, but still in the end, it usually bites him in the behind. 

5 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Which is exactly what I said at the time.  ;)  The lack of respect that he showed towards the coaching staff at Washington scared me to death...and I don't believe Zimmer would ever have wanted to deal with it, unlike Andy Reid, who suffers from Tice disease in attracting problem children and thinking he can control it.  He's better at it than Tice was, but still in the end, it usually bites him in the behind. 

I guess I have a propensity to believe that young men with attitude problems and troubles of that sort have a better chance to rise to the occasion and grow when placed into a professional environment (especially one where you get paid millions), but that is the optimist in me. In my military career i've seen countless young men and women join who are lacking any sort of adult mentality or discipline, and they are able to grow into very respectful and professional people in a short amount of time. I suppose a lot of that has to do with the ramifications of not conforming to that sort of mindset in that profession, and there is not always that sort of environment in the NFL... it is a very easy place for boys to remain boys rather than grow into men.

21 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

That was a good read.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think teams are staying away from Waynes and targeting Rhodes more.

As Waynes has slowly improved his coverage and stuck tighter with receivers, teams are being forced to go back to their "strength" at WR, or their top target. Because Xavier covers that top target he is of course going to get more balls thrown his way. Even that little of an improvement by Waynes is taking a relatively reliable passing option off the table and forcing teams to have to throw the ball where they would prefer not to. Just goes to show that average CB play across from Rhodes in this defense actually gets elevated to almost above average play for the individual, and very good play as a pass defense as a whole.

On 12/6/2017 at 2:39 PM, NorthCountryEvo said:

I guess I have a propensity to believe that young men with attitude problems and troubles of that sort have a better chance to rise to the occasion and grow when placed into a professional environment (especially one where you get paid millions), but that is the optimist in me. In my military career i've seen countless young men and women join who are lacking any sort of adult mentality or discipline, and they are able to grow into very respectful and professional people in a short amount of time. I suppose a lot of that has to do with the ramifications of not conforming to that sort of mindset in that profession, and there is not always that sort of environment in the NFL... it is a very easy place for boys to remain boys rather than grow into men.

The military has a strict standard and beats us and indoctrinated us into submission through training. 

Millions of dollars rarely has turned around a player. Usually their attitudes and issues are only compounded by that level of wealth. 

Marcus Peters has not had a good week. The Chiefs suspended the cornerback one game without pay for prematurely leaving the field Sunday, and the NFL now has fined Peters for throwing an official’s flag into the stands. The suspension for Sunday’s game will cost Peters $72,320 of his base salary. The fine will cost him another $24,309 for unsportsmanlike conduct (non-physical offense against a game official).

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/08/marcus-peters-fined-24309-for-flag-throwing-incident/

On 12/6/2017 at 1:29 PM, disaacs said:

Which is exactly what I said at the time.  ;)  The lack of respect that he showed towards the coaching staff at Washington scared me to death...and I don't believe Zimmer would ever have wanted to deal with it....

GMFB✔@gmfb

According to @MikeGarafolo, there was more to the Marcus Peters' suspension. He was reportedly involved in a verbal altercation with a member of the Chiefs coaching staff...

I believe Marcus Peters can play in the NFL for a long long time and be very successful, but I worry that his poor attitude may never allow him to show his full potential.

Like Randy Moss, his antics on and off the field will prove to be costly.

While I've been critical of Trae Waynes of his physical limitations, he has shown much improvement and hasn't been a headache. Time will tell, but I'm starting to think that Spielman made the right move.

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I believe Marcus Peters can play in the NFL for a long long time and be very successful, but I worry that his poor attitude may never allow him to show his full potential.

Like Randy Moss, his antics on and off the field will prove to be costly.

While I've been critical of Trae Waynes of his physical limitations, he has shown much improvement and hasn't been a headache. Time will tell, but I'm starting to think that Spielman made the right move.

What physical limitations does Waynes have? He has elite speed. Very quick. Excellent tackler. Good length.

Archived