Do our Corners have our Backs, and Safely at that...?

vike daddy

AJ Green is one of the best receivers in the NFL. But his supreme talent was squashed by another supremely talented player – Vikings cornerback Xavier Rhodes. Green was held to two catches for 30 yards on four targets. His outing against Rhodes today produced his second-lowest total for targets and catches in a game this season as well as his third-lowest yardage output of the season.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/10-Takeaways-from-Sundays-Win-Over-Cincinnati/f9450e90-f530-427a-87e7-ddb2f550c197?sf176645001=1

Terence Newman intercepted Dalton later in the game, impressing current teammates and coaches with a dazzling effort against his former squad. Newman’s takeaway was the 42nd interception of his 15-year career. He ranks second among active NFL players (DeAngelo Hall has 43).

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/After-Further-Review-Kendricks--Newman-Picks-Show-Skills--Study-Habits/52be7c24-d479-4ac9-9760-5633068fdbc9?sf176760037=1

Newman!

NFL fans have declared Xavier Rhodes the best cornerback in the NFL. Rhodes finished with more votes than any cornerback in fan voting for the Pro Bowl this week and was one of four Vikings selected for the game. Being picked for the second consecutive year and first time as a starter, Rhodes was joined by defensive end Everson Griffen, linebacker Anthony Barr and receiver Adam Thielen.

Rhodes: “Of course I believe I’m the best. It’s all about your play, it’s all about how you go out there and what you do on the field and on the tape, and if your play shows that you’re the best, that’s what it is. The fans saw me play, they believe in my talent. I feel like I’ve played well this year, played well last year and played well in previous years, and I’m finally getting recognized for it.”

Rhodes has earned a reputation as a shutdown corner thanks to impressive games this season against Pro Bowl receivers Antonio Brown of Pittsburgh, Julio Jones of Atlanta, Michael Thomas of New Orleans and A.J. Green of Cincinnati. According to a stat put out by the NFL, Rhodes has held star receivers Brown, Jones, Green and Odell Beckham of the New York Giants to nine receptions for 94 yards in four games in throws into his coverage since last season.

https://www.twincities.com/2017/12/21/vikings-xavier-rhodes-i-believe-im-the-best-cornerback-in-the-nfl/

2 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

if I had his abilities and was mentored by Terrell Buckley, I'd be pretty confident too.

In July, Rhodes, 27, signed a five-year, $70 million contract extension that runs through 2022 and makes him the third-highest-paid cornerback in the NFL. Buckley called it a “bargain.”

“He follows the top receiver and he’s able to play the left and right side, play physical and take the challenge,” Buckley said. “He’s the top corner, and he’s still young. You’re about to see a long stretch of some pretty good football from a pretty good football player.”

Just have to throw out some more praise for Terence Newman: how on earth can a man still play the corner at age 39? The more footage I see of him the more I like him. No attitude, no controversy, no nonsense; just a consummate professional and a leader on the defense. He deserves to finish his career with a ring. And if he does accept Zim's open invitation to join our coaching staff after he's done playing, I'm sure we'd all be thrilled to have him.

2 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Just have to throw out some more praise for Terence Newman: how on earth can a man still play the corner at age 39? The more footage I see of him the more I like him. No attitude, no controversy, no nonsense; just a consummate professional and a leader on the defense. He deserves to finish his career with a ring. And if he does accept Zim's open invitation to join our coaching staff after he's done playing, I'm sure we'd all be thrilled to have him.

I believe that the George Allen era Redskins had a cornerback who played and produced well into his upper 30's, named Pat Fisher.  He was slower than molasses in January but had great, great technique.

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I loved the proverbial giant middle Harrison Smith gave the Pro Bowl voters tonight!

I still don’t understand why he wasn’t voted in, or why they stop the voting with 2 weeks left in the season. 

Gotta hand it to him for making that Pro Bowl snub look even more ridiculous. Collinsworth flat-out called him the best safety in football.

But, like our guys have said, making the Pro Bowl is definitely not our goal this year.

8 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I believe that the George Allen era Redskins had a cornerback who played and produced well into his upper 30's, named Pat Fisher.  He was slower than molasses in January but had great, great technique.

Darrell Green was 42 when he retired. Deion Sanders was 38, I think too.

Archived