NBA Offseason Thread: Durant will remain in Brooklyn

NYRaider

37 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I wouldn't hate it, especially if Ivey goes to Sac and we end up with Murray.  I'd still rather have Ayton though.  Maybe we sign Sexton and trade Grant for Ayton.  A lineup of Cade, Sexton, Bey, Murray, Ayton would at least be fun to watch develop. 

I think the Cavaliers are going to want something in return for him if he's on a reasonable deal so the only way that you'd be able to land him without sending pieces out would be to give him a max or a near max contract. Ayton is also going to get a max extension too so you'd likely be investing around 4 yr/$100M into Sexton and 4 yr/$137M into Ayton. 

2 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

or we can get stuck paying a 6'1 guard coming off major knee surgery $25 million and let a division rival free up cap space

Sexton averaged 24/3/4 on 47/37/81 splits his last healthy season. I wouldn't be too concerned about his knee, it was a torn meniscus, not an ACL. 

Based on reports the Cavaliers are interested in bringing him back for around $20M per year. So the only two ways you're realistically acquiring him are via S&T or if you max him out.

If Lavine/Beal sign their extensions early then Brunson, Sexton, and Simons should all get a boost as the only three guards on the market that can score. 

Pretty weak class for free agents, only Ayton/Bridges look like guys that are basically guaranteed for max or near max money. I'd guess Sexton/Brunson get the next highest deals and then it's just Simons and role players.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I think the Cavaliers are going to want something in return for him if he's on a reasonable deal so the only way that you'd be able to land him without sending pieces out would be to give him a max or a near max contract. Ayton is also going to get a max extension too so you'd likely be investing around 4 yr/$100M into Sexton and 4 yr/$137M into Ayton. 

Yeah no thanks. Neither of those guys is worth a max.  Rumor Kings love Murray, would love to trade Grant to Portland for 7 and come away with Ivey and Mathurin. That would be ideal. Steady as she goes

1 minute ago, BigC421/ said:

Yeah no thanks. Neither of those guys is worth a max.  Rumor Kings love Murray, would love to trade Grant to Portland for 7 and come away with Ivey and Mathurin. That would be ideal. Steady as she goes

You guys don't really have any huge contracts on your books or anyone worth extending on a significant deal anytime soon. Plus Detroit isn't really a free agent destination. I wouldn't max out Sexton but I think he's a good fit with Cade if it's a reasonable contract like 18-20M APY. Ayton I think would be worth a max/Grant swap. The player you land at 7 in a best case scenario is an Ayton level player. 

31 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

what the hell would this lineup look like