NBA Offseason Thread: Durant will remain in Brooklyn

NYRaider

10 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Disregarding Gordon's history w/ that franchise, why on Earth would the Pels do that?

Because Graham is absolutely terrible and he still has 3 yr/$36.5M left on his contract. Gordon would immediately slide into a starting role as a good 3&D guy next to McCollum. It also gives them cap flexibility, which will be particularly important with Zion's super max extension around the corner. 

This is where Gordon’s contract and his $20.9 million for the 2023-24 season become so valuable. In essence, Gordon can be used as part of a deal to make the salaries match and then be released at no cost to the acquiring team.

The accounting value for the final year of Gordon’s contract is incredibly high because he acts as a salary that you don’t have to pay. For the team acquiring him, he essentially acts as a free $20.9 million.

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Because Graham is absolutely terrible and he still has 3 yr/$36.5M left on his contract. Gordon would immediately slide into a starting role as a good 3&D guy next to McCollum. It also gives them cap flexibility, which will be particularly important with Zion's super max extension around the corner. 

Eric Gordon is a sieve at this point and his shooting last year was probably a fluke. Like ok, he's an expiring contract but you don't trade out of a decent lottery pick to get out of a 2 years at 12M per for Graham.

1 minute ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Eric Gordon is a sieve at this point and his shooting last year was probably a fluke. Like ok, he's an expiring contract but you don't trade out of a decent lottery pick to get out of a 2 years at 12M per for Graham.

And If you wanna argue that Graham is the worst player ever and he's overrated by advanced stats, so is Gordon. Arguing from a basketball perspective and not a cheapskate owner perspective obviously.

Just now, redsoxsuck05 said:

They'd be moving down 9 spots and would create an easy path to get under the luxury tax line next off-season. They'd likely be able to get a decent return for Gordon next offseason because they could help another team shed $20M in salary cap too. Graham shouldn't be a rotational player for them, Gordon at least could be their 5th starter. And with Zion's new deal and their current cap situation they'll be like $15M into the tax so their bill will be around $20M so Graham actually costs their owner $32M and he is notorious for being cheap when it comes to the Pelicans.

If the Pistons just wanted to put together a nice looking starting lineup and look to be in playoff contention immediately something like Murray at 5 and trade Grant for 7 to grab either AJ or Mathurin or even Sharpe ( like AJ but not sure in medicals) then just throw a max at Ayton and hope for the best. Maybe Suns don’t gamble on the match, maybe they do and just take what they can get in return? Possibly involve 3rd team to get a better player for them and Pistons give up a heavily protected pick? Idk just spit balling.  

Cunningham- Mathurin-Bey-Murray-Ayton is a pretty nice looking lineup on paper and really sets the table for Cade with plenty of floor spacing and pnr big to work with.  Even if the Ayton deal doesn’t work out those 4 with BeefStew/Bagley rotation at center could work pretty nice. Maybe go after Sexton and bring 7th pick off bench? 

I really like Ivey’s upside and he’s my guy right now but after a season of feeling Meh about Murray I’m really starting to come around in him. He just has such an NBA ready game. I could even see him working out a small ball center being very effective.  He just doesn’t have many weaknesses to his game and is actually a better athlete than I remembered 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I'm not a big fan of Graham by any means, but that's a pretty bad trade for the Pelicans.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not a big fan of Graham by any means, but that's a pretty bad trade for the Pelicans.

The Pelicans move down 9 spots but probably save their owner like $32M in 2023 and Gordon's contract is a positive trade asset next off-season because it allows whoever trades for him to instantly shed $20M in salary and would give the Pelicans a $20M trade exception.

Edited by NYRaider