Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

10 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Comparing Will Levis and Anthony Richardson to Josh Allen is an insult to Josh Allen's arm talent.  No way Levis or Richardson put on the throwing show Allen did at the combine, that guy has a very rare, rare throwing arm.  As of yet, neither Levis or Richardson have shown that type of elite arm talent in college in my opinion.  Absolutely no way, now sure things change change but at this point no way they are on the same level either one of them.

I've seen Allen throw in college and i've seen Levis throw live. Levis absolutely has a rocket. I can't speak for Anthony Richardson at all but Levis has a rocket. He's just not even closed to polished as a passer in other aspects of his game. Allen was ahead in that department. We also were questioning Allen being drafted that early bc of how raw and unrefined he was as a passer and after two years there were questions on how he would develop given his accuracy was so darn bad lol. 

EDIT: Let's not say Allen's arm is so darn special. Herbert, Mahomes, Stafford and Rodgers all have that type of cannon currently in the league. Sure Stafford and Rodgers are on the wrong side of 30 so might not be what it used to be. Even Jay Cutler had that Favre type arm strength. So did josh freeman (busted out of the league). 

Edited by RedandPewterReturns

28 minutes ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

I've seen Allen throw in college and i've seen Levis throw live. Levis absolutely has a rocket. I can't speak for Anthony Richardson at all but Levis has a rocket. He's just not even closed to polished as a passer in other aspects of his game. Allen was ahead in that department. We also were questioning Allen being drafted that early bc of how raw and unrefined he was as a passer and after two years there were questions on how he would develop given his accuracy was so darn bad lol. 

EDIT: Let's not say Allen's arm is so darn special. Herbert, Mahomes, Stafford and Rodgers all have that type of cannon currently in the league. Sure Stafford and Rodgers are on the wrong side of 30 so might not be what it used to be. Even Jay Cutler had that Favre type arm strength. So did josh freeman (busted out of the league). 

Sure Levis is raw but like you said so was Josh Allen and look how great he was at the combine as a raw player, I doubt Levis could put on that type of performance unless he greatly improves this year and even then I just do not think he has that type of arm talent.  

By the way Josh Allen's arm is that darn special, and you say Mahomes, Stafford and Rodgers, well those three are also some of the most talented throwing arms in the history of the NFL, same with Cutler and Favre so Josh Allen is right there with the best of all time so yeah he is pretty special.  As for Josh Freeman, he threw the ball far but having a talented arm is being able to throw if far and on target, if not who really cares....Jamarcus Russell...  Freeman never had great accuracy and I would say had nothing on Josh Allen's velocity which rivals any QB you listed, and off platform velocity and distance  is as good as anyone if not better than them all.  

Josh Allen made a throw his sophomore year going to his left and went back across his body, maybe Mahomes could make that throw but not sure anyone else even could, maybe Rodgers but not now.  Levis has an awkward as hell release, very odd, his hands/ball are down a lot and his footwork seems off as well.  Sure he is promising and can improve but to me he is not nearly as talented as Josh Allen in terms of throwing the football.  

If anyone forgot.  

1:54 mark is the real gem, no freaking way Levis or Richardson can make that throw and dude had outstanding pocket mechanics and form.  

52 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Sure Levis is raw but like you said so was Josh Allen and look how great he was at the combine as a raw player, I doubt Levis could put on that type of performance unless he greatly improves this year and even then I just do not think he has that type of arm talent.  

By the way Josh Allen's arm is that darn special, and you say Mahomes, Stafford and Rodgers, well those three are also some of the most talented throwing arms in the history of the NFL, same with Cutler and Favre so Josh Allen is right there with the best of all time so yeah he is pretty special.  As for Josh Freeman, he threw the ball far but having a talented arm is being able to throw if far and on target, if not who really cares....Jamarcus Russell...  Freeman never had great accuracy and I would say had nothing on Josh Allen's velocity which rivals any QB you listed, and off platform velocity and distance  is as good as anyone if not better than them all.  

Josh Allen made a throw his sophomore year going to his left and went back across his body, maybe Mahomes could make that throw but not sure anyone else even could, maybe Rodgers but not now.  Levis has an awkward as hell release, very odd, his hands/ball are down a lot and his footwork seems off as well.  Sure he is promising and can improve but to me he is not nearly as talented as Josh Allen in terms of throwing the football.  

If anyone forgot.  

1:54 mark is the real gem, no freaking way Levis or Richardson can make that throw and dude had outstanding pocket mechanics and form.  

Again - we're comparing prospects and tools. There are special arm talents who did not succeed in the pros. No one was wowing about Josh Allens accuracy as a prospect. lol . that was a huge concern coming out. Probably why he didn't go Number 1 overall. 

I'm also not putting Richardson in that department. I haven't watched a stitch of him. But Levis i've seen live and go look up the highlights of him at a passing academy. He possesses a rocket lol. I put him where Freeman is right now as a prospect. Big Arm but hones in on his first read to the point he misses his check down. Much more athletic than freeman and is featured as a runner in the offense. His accuracy is spotty similar to Allens and Freemans coming out of college. Honestly needs to be more decisive which Allen was more advanced as a college player. 

I'm no where saying Levis will be Allen. right now i wouldn't touch Levis in round 1 bc he's a bit far behind in the little things Allen wasn't in terms of decision making. But allen wasn't recruited highly out of HS and he had huge question marks outside of his Arm and athleticism coming out of Wyoming. Both guys were upside prospects coming out of college. Allen has developed and flourished. Levis? Well a lot is riding on him this year to take another step. If he progresses hes a top 20 pick

Levis will also be 24 the summer before his rookie season so if he hasn’t improved on the mechanical areas much then meh. Burrow turned 24 December of his rookie year but he had way more technical advancement. But Burrow made quite a leap from penultimate season to his final season in college. Maybe Levis can too

On 7/18/2022 at 4:53 PM, Ozzy said:

Comparing Will Levis and Anthony Richardson to Josh Allen is an insult to Josh Allen's arm talent.  No way Levis or Richardson put on the throwing show Allen did at the combine, that guy has a very rare, rare throwing arm.  As of yet, neither Levis or Richardson have shown that type of elite arm talent in college in my opinion.  Absolutely no way, now sure things change change but at this point no way they are on the same level either one of them.

I think you need to give a TON of credit to Brian Daboll.  He didn't look anything like he does now when he was at Wyoming.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think you need to give a TON of credit to Brian Daboll.  He didn't look anything like he does now when he was at Wyoming.

Maybe, but why would Allen look great on Wyoming, he had no talent around him offensive, zero players outside of himself are in the NFL from that offensive roster so no kidding he struggled especially when the pressure was put on him that junior year.  He also made those throws at the combine before being coached by Brian Daboll so there is that, the dude had talent and sure developed more in the NFL but after that combine he was right up there with any QB in the class and is now obviously better than them all and looked like it at the combine.

Honestly though I would say Josh Allen helped out Brian Daboll's coaching career more than the other way around, he got him that job with the Giants because name all the amazing success Daboll has had in coaching?  His biggest accomplishment was being with the Patriots multiple times for many years, that says a lot sure but outside of that it is not like he has done amazing things with tons of players as a coach.  

So Daniel Jones is going to become this amazing QB because of Brian Daboll?  I doubt it.  

On 6/16/2022 at 7:31 AM, THE DUKE said:

If Jake Haener was a little bigger, he'd be getting a lot more hype than he is.  I think he's one of the most skilled QB's in this class.

I'm hoping the Raiders draft him in rounds 3-4 to backup Derek Car.. Haener be a stud QB2. He's good enough to maybe one day overcome his size 

On 7/20/2022 at 9:31 AM, CWood21 said:

Yeah Allen's progression from dude that could barely complete passes to arguably the best QB in the NFL has probably been the biggest leap that any player has ever made in NFL history.

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2022 at 10:58 PM, Daniel said:

It certainly looks like it now.

His tools are absolutely silly, now it’s just about proving it over an entire college season. He’s slightly smaller than Cam, but faster and more elusive with better passing mechanics, a quicker release and a stronger overall arm. The velocity on his passes are just insane. Unreal ceiling and the highest in ceiling in this class if he reaches it.

Edited by DanMullen
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, DanMullen said:

His tools are absolutely silly, now it’s just about proving it over an entire college season. He’s slightly smaller than Cam, but faster and more elusive with better passing mechanics, a quicker release and a stronger overall arm. The velocity on his passes are just insane. Unreal ceiling and the highest in ceiling in this class if he reaches it.

It will be interesting how the rest of the season goes, because now everyone will think he should break off a 50 yard TD run every game along with multiple 40+ yard TD passes every game and each time he does not do that many will be like what the hell?  

He better stay in shape like he is now and I think he will, keep protecting the football especially when he runs and keep making good decisions with the football on when to run and passing accurately.  Daunte Culpepper was very similar in size to Richardson, but he had terrible fumble problems in the NFL, got out of shape and over weight in the NFL and did not take care of the football at all and turned it over constantly.  Big arms are great but if your receiver cannot catch it who cares how quickly the ball arrives.  Will see how he does will off platform throws, that is where all the great ones are great, making those types of throws on the run under pressure.  

I still say against Utah, sure helped that they lost all of their good LBs and the LBs they had in there sucked, so they could basically do anything they wanted running the ball.  They do not have a super hard schedule but Kentucky and Tennessee are both solid, and they have LSU, Georgia and A&M back to back to back, then FSU to finish the season.  Considering they just played Utah a top 10 team, I guess that is a pretty solid schedule overall.  

So what I'm seeing from the QBs so far:

Bryce Young and CJ Stroud: They are who we thought they were; top of the class pretty much by default

Anthony Richardson: Physical talent is crazy, needs a loooot of work; draft stock is gonna be a roller coaster until we have most a season behind us

Will Levis: his offense runs an awful lot to have this supposedly great QB (but I only saw some of that game)

Jaren Hall: maybe the best of the rest, but I wasn't particularly excited, and also he's old

KJ Jefferson: He's a running back

Hendon Hooker: He's an early draft pick....if he were four years younger and not in a gimmicky offense; physical specimen, but no one wants a 26 year old with sometimes flukey accuracy and questionable decision-making

Cam Rising: Looks like one of your regular "Hey, that guy could be a pretty good longterm backup" types

Eager to see the Miami kid against a (maybe) good team this week in A&M.  Gonna be a while before I can see the Stanford kid or the Coastal Carolina guy take on a good team.

Any QBs worth watching that I'm missing?