Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

Not sure what outsiders think because it's difficult watching Wisconsin play offense but Graham Mertz looks like someone that can play at the next level. He's not going to be a draft riser in-season or anything like that but he has every tool in the book physically and he's been throwing dimes to start the year. Think he's someone that would climb the ladder in the pre-draft process due to the tools. Get him proper coaching and see what he's got because Paul Chryst and that offense does him no favors when it comes to making him look good.

Don't get me wrong, he's still gotta work on his pocket presence and awareness but he's processing a crap ton better this year since every pass play isn't "force feed the ball to Ferguson."  He's got another year of eligibility so I'd expect him to be more of a 2024 prospect but he's not a lost cause like he looked last year.

21 hours ago, Daniel said:

Anthony Richardson: Physical talent is crazy, needs a loooot of work; draft stock is gonna be a roller coaster until we have most a season behind us

He needs like two whole years behind an Andy Reid level type of QB Guru if he's gonna make it work, but yeah the ceiling is crazy.

21 hours ago, Daniel said:

So what I'm seeing from the QBs so far:

Bryce Young and CJ Stroud: They are who we thought they were; top of the class pretty much by default

Anthony Richardson: Physical talent is crazy, needs a loooot of work; draft stock is gonna be a roller coaster until we have most a season behind us

Will Levis: his offense runs an awful lot to have this supposedly great QB (but I only saw some of that game)

Jaren Hall: maybe the best of the rest, but I wasn't particularly excited, and also he's old

KJ Jefferson: He's a running back

Hendon Hooker: He's an early draft pick....if he were four years younger and not in a gimmicky offense; physical specimen, but no one wants a 26 year old with sometimes flukey accuracy and questionable decision-making

Cam Rising: Looks like one of your regular "Hey, that guy could be a pretty good longterm backup" types

Eager to see the Miami kid against a (maybe) good team this week in A&M.  Gonna be a while before I can see the Stanford kid or the Coastal Carolina guy take on a good team.

Any QBs worth watching that I'm missing?

The only glaring name I see missing here is Tyler Van Dyke from Miami FL

Also Drake Maye from UNC is intriguing but not eligible this cycle .

23 hours ago, Daniel said:

Any QBs worth watching that I'm missing?

Greyson McCall - Coastal Carolina - Very good accuracy and arm strength.  His offense hurts him as he may thrown deep 6-10 times per year.  Think of him as Zappe but with an NFL arm.

I also thought Slovis (Pitt) did well with people in his lap all day.  His accuracy was good under almost constant pressure.

Edited by jebrick

The Arkansas offense really doesn't help KJ Jefferson out much, pretty surprised how much they run him. He was a dropped pass away from going 19-21 for about 200 yards and 2 TDs against South Carolina though so it's not like he's been bad passing the ball but it's hard to gather much from his games when he's only passing 20 times.

2 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

I think FSU’s Jordan Travis will work his way into being a Day 3 selection. He has tools and actual long speed.

Agreed. The sample size is pretty small but he looked sort of like Bryce Young, honestly. Very good pocket presence and movement in the pocket. Accurate down field with a strong enough arm. 

12 hours ago, jebrick said:

Greyson McCall - Coastal Carolina - Very good accuracy and arm strength.  His offense hurts him as he may thrown deep 6-10 times per year.  Think of him as Zappe but with an NFL arm.

I also thought Slovis (Pitt) did well with people in his lap all day.  His accuracy was good under almost constant pressure.

McCall and Van Dyke are on my to watch list.

Slovis I was not impressed with. Toughness out the wazoo, but if it gets you obliterated by the pass rush because you won’t just throw it away, it’s not great, and he still just completed half his passes (11 of 18, but two of those were tipped by defenders into receivers’ hands).

He’s a guy who looked maybe draftable late. Might look better later on though.

Tyler Van Dyke is a stud. I was not high on him heading into last season, but he is basically Mac Jones +.

Big pocket passer with a rocket arm. Acceptable mobility. Great leader. His supporting cast is doo doo.

He could be a #1 overall pick guy if this class didn’t also have Stroud/Young/Anderson at the top. 

Still wanna see more out of him this year, but if he repeats his performance last year, he could easily be a top 10 pick. 

Here is the reality of the situation, there are probably 30 QBs right now in college that could be NFL prospects or be on NFL rosters.  Now there are not nearly that many jobs around in the NFL so many guys will simply be out.  But with so many QBs coming back with that COVID year this next draft class will have a ton of them potentially and some would be 5th or 6th year guys.  All of the guys below are 5th or 6th year guys, and maybe five or six will get a shot in the NFL, possibly more considering UDFAs.  Not even including all the talented underclassmen QBs who are most likely to declare or the true senior QBs out there.  

Brennan Armstrong Virginia RS
Phil Jurkovec Boston College RS
Sam Hartman Wake Forest RS JR
Dorian Thompson-Robinson UCLA RS
Hendon Hooker Tennessee RS
JT Daniels West Virginia RS
Stetson Bennett Georgia RS
Malik Cunningham Louisville RS
Sean Clifford Penn State RS
Michael Penix Jr Washington RS
Gerry Bohanon USF RS
Tyler Shough Texas Tech
Adrian Martinez Kansas State
Tanner Morgan Minnesota RS

It is a deep class, sure not all are great prospects but it is really deep considering.  

5 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Haven’t seen nearly as much Anthony Richardson hype this week. Did something happen last week to bring his crazy hype back down to reality 😂

Very true he played terrible last week, but hard to not be impressed with what he did against Utah.  Will be really interesting to see him throughout and honestly it is a great learning experience, can he get over the fact that now everyone thinks he will score a 40 yard TD run or a 60 yard TD pass on every play.  That is now the bar and obviously that is not realistic and can he make the simple play and more the team down the field patiently or not.  

32 minutes ago, sayheykid said:

Richardson looked like cheeks tonight.

He did.  And Van Dyke ain't looking so hot either.

This class is not shaping up to be very good.  Stroud looks like maybe the top guy.  Young is too small, and I didn't watch those two INTs against UL Monroe, but that's concerning.  Richardson just isn't ready, and he doesn't even look close, even though the talent is there.  Jarren Hall is maybe the next most impressive one at the moment, and he looks more like a second rounder from what I've seen.  Van Dyke has been all over the place with his throws tonight.  I can see that maybe the talent is there, but not enough to spend a high pick.

Grayson McCall is the last chance for this class, short of a dark horse, or one of the above guys turning it around.  But it is still early in the season.  Things could look completely different by the season's end.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Here is the reality of the situation, there are probably 30 QBs right now in college that could be NFL prospects or be on NFL rosters.  Now there are not nearly that many jobs around in the NFL so many guys will simply be out.  But with so many QBs coming back with that COVID year this next draft class will have a ton of them potentially and some would be 5th or 6th year guys.  All of the guys below are 5th or 6th year guys, and maybe five or six will get a shot in the NFL, possibly more considering UDFAs.  Not even including all the talented underclassmen QBs who are most likely to declare or the true senior QBs out there.  

Brennan Armstrong Virginia RS
Phil Jurkovec Boston College RS
Sam Hartman Wake Forest RS JR
Dorian Thompson-Robinson UCLA RS
Hendon Hooker Tennessee RS
JT Daniels West Virginia RS
Stetson Bennett Georgia RS
Malik Cunningham Louisville RS
Sean Clifford Penn State RS
Michael Penix Jr Washington RS
Gerry Bohanon USF RS
Tyler Shough Texas Tech
Adrian Martinez Kansas State
Tanner Morgan Minnesota RS

It is a deep class, sure not all are great prospects but it is really deep considering.  

Very true he played terrible last week, but hard to not be impressed with what he did against Utah.  Will be really interesting to see him throughout and honestly it is a great learning experience, can he get over the fact that now everyone thinks he will score a 40 yard TD run or a 60 yard TD pass on every play.  That is now the bar and obviously that is not realistic and can he make the simple play and more the team down the field patiently or not.  

He’s a terrible QB. Very athletic though lol.

11 hours ago, Daniel said:

He did.  And Van Dyke ain't looking so hot either.

This class is not shaping up to be very good.  Stroud looks like maybe the top guy.  Young is too small, and I didn't watch those two INTs against UL Monroe, but that's concerning.  Richardson just isn't ready, and he doesn't even look close, even though the talent is there.  Jarren Hall is maybe the next most impressive one at the moment, and he looks more like a second rounder from what I've seen.  Van Dyke has been all over the place with his throws tonight.  I can see that maybe the talent is there, but not enough to spend a high pick.

Grayson McCall is the last chance for this class, short of a dark horse, or one of the above guys turning it around.  But it is still early in the season.  Things could look completely different by the season's end.

Will Levis has looked great this season and is built like a tank physically, Bo Nix looked very good this weekend and throws a great ball when he has time, and Michael Penix Jr is a flame thrower out there, sure could have just been a bad Michigan State secondary but that dude can sling it and if he stays healthy he is a big time up and coming QB prospect but is only a RS JR so might return for another year.  

Van Dyke I never even consider a guy for 2023 draft, but is only a SOPH and can obviously still improve.  

But yeah if the bar is Joe Burrow and the season he had, that is not very likely to happen year after year.  Hell Kenny Pickett last year had one hell of a rise as well and similar great success to Burrow last year.  Again that is not going to happen every year.  Who knows maybe Penix is that guy this year.  

8 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

He’s a terrible QB. Very athletic though lol.

Donovan Smith against NC State looked really bad at times then other times really good, it is what you get with a young inexperienced QB.  But yes Richardson the little I saw was pretty suspect in that game no question.  Will be interesting to see how he does on the road, might actually be easier and less pressure than in the Swamp at night which they have been in the last three weeks, hard when the home crowd gets on the offense.  At Tennessee next on the road so that will not be easy but will be a great test.  

Still the Swamp, that place is nuts, might just be because of night games but there is tons of energy in that stadium, could be the new coaching staff, could be the more physical tough team but ultimately it is the hope and anticipation of such a young and talented QB.