Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Maybe but NFL coaching is better than college football coaching, so if one wants to improve it is a matter of can you really get that much better in college football by playing another year or not.  Sadly the NFL has no minor league really so in a way yes it is better to play than to sit on the bench in the NFL, but a lot of guys can play in the right situation and earn the contract later.

Then again NFL teams can totally rip a dude off if they are a late round pick or UDFA and they are literally starting of them yet still get paid very little.

At QB though there are only so many positions open, so waiting and joining that totally crazy deep 2024 QB class, not sure that is a great idea when the middle rounds in this QB class is pretty weak considering all the guys who returned to school.  

The Saints, Commanders, Bengals, Vikings, Raiders etc all could be looking for a starting QB or more likely a backup type QB and they will fill those spots with a QB in the 2023 Draft potentially.  Some of the dudes that returned to school that could have been those picks.  

Jaren Hall, Max Duggan, Dorian Thompson-Robinson, Adian O'Connell, Joe Milton and Sean Clifford will benefit from all those QBs returning to school when honestly outside of probably Duggan and maybe Hall those dudes might not have been drafted and now have a much better chance of it happening.

I don't think Joe Milton declared. He has another year of eligibility. 

45 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I don't think Joe Milton declared. He has another year of eligibility. 

That would be awesome, I know he is a RS SR maybe he never took his COVID year yet and will go for a 6th season.

In that bowl game though it seemed like it was his last time out based on how he acted at the end and what the announcers were saying.  

16 hours ago, Ozzy said:

That would be awesome, I know he is a RS SR maybe he never took his COVID year yet and will go for a 6th season.

In that bowl game though it seemed like it was his last time out based on how he acted at the end and what the announcers were saying.  

No, he’s the presumed starter next season.

On 1/15/2023 at 12:33 PM, jebrick said:

Levis reminds me of College Brett Farve in everything but his ability/wanting to put a team on his back to win.

Like Farve I think he should go in the 2nd round but....

With the rookie pay scale - teams are willing to take the chances of him being as good as Allen in 3 years vs. Zach Wilson lol or Trey Lance. 

I have found myself liking Richardson more and more in recent weeks. He started the season really poor, but it does seem that there was some noticeable growth in watching cut ups of his games as the season progressed. Statistically there also seems to be a noticeable jump as well as a passer.

He still is very raw and is a boom or bust prospect, but I have gone from “no chance I’d draft him day 1” to not being opposed to it. He’s much better navigating the within pocket than I initially thought. He clearly has a rare set of tools to work with and can improvise with the best of them. I don’t think Florida’s system and skill players around him did him any favors.

His “high points” on film are that of an elite QB. Making some truly spectacular throws. Consistency obviously is not where it needs to be yet. It appears it was trending in the right direction this past year though as the season went on. Another year could have really benefited him to take that next step, but as it stands, I could definitely see a redshirt year in the NFL with the right coaching staff willing to adapt to his skill set paying off long term as well. I’d have him as the 3rd QB in this draft behind Young and Stroud, but far ahead of Levis.

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I have found myself liking Richardson more and more in recent weeks. He started the season really poor, but it does seem that there was some noticeable growth in watching cut ups of his games as the season progressed. Statistically there also seems to be a noticeable jump as well as a passer.

It's kind of a red flag when Florida was more productive the less Anthony Richardson was throwing the ball around.  The Gators were 5-0 when he threw the ball less than 25 times in a game, and 2-6 when he threw the ball 25+ times in a game.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

It's kind of a red flag when Florida was more productive the less Anthony Richardson was throwing the ball around.  The Gators were 5-0 when he threw the ball less than 25 times in a game, and 2-6 when he threw the ball 25+ times in a game.

Yeah obviously you’d like to see more wins, but he was on a pretty bad team. In those games he threw more, he also played against the best teams he faced all year. He had 9 games with 23 or more pass attempts this year (close enough to 25 and they are both arbitrary numbers anyway). In those 9 games he faced:

Georgia

Tennessee 

Kentucky

Florida State

LSU

Utah

Vanderbilt 

Texas A&M

South Carolina

In those 9 games Florida averaged 30.4 points per game, so it’s not like they were struggling to score in most of those games.

In the games he had under 23 passes he faced:

Missouri 

Eastern Washington

USF

I’d venture to say a much different level of competition in those games. I’m not saying Richardson doesn’t have some red flags, but it’s tough to hold that against him imo.

Edited by tyler735

4 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Where do people see Stetson Bennett going?  We might be in the market for a backup, and he seems to have the makeup to handle that (having been beat out multiple times at GA) while still lighting a fire in the huddle when called upon.

He is most likely a 6th or 7th round pick but could be a hell of a backup potentially.  Great work ethic and is a natural leader and competitor.  Might not be a bad backup at all, but he will benefit greatly of all the QBs returning to school and he should be drafted where if 6-10 other guys declare it probably would have made Bennett a UDFA.

On 1/17/2023 at 7:59 AM, Daniel said:

No, he’s the presumed starter next season.

That is great for Tennessee and good for Milton.  But then again I think he could have snuck into the draft on arm talent alone and the fact the class is not very deep.  Next year he will have a hard time unless he has this amazing season which he might in that QB friendly offense.  

Random comment, this is ruining college football.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35469311/reports-florida-qb-commit-asks-nil-deal-falls-apart

"The Gator Collective" is not a company it is a bunch of rich boosters that pay players to go to Florida.  What a joke, and since this dude cannot get 4 years $13 mil he is going to leave.  How awful is that, I am all for players getting paid something but that is ridiculous to pay a kid like that so much money.  Bryce Young got what a few million and actually was in advertisements, now they are not even pretending to be apart of a company it is just rich people with companies buying players with the money they made from their companies, the players are not sales men or spokes people at all.  Guess that explains all the QBs returning, and other players are not getting paid like this.  Curious how much the top OT got this year, doubt it is 4 years $13 million potentially.  

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35469311/reports-florida-qb-commit-asks-nil-deal-falls-apart

"The Gator Collective" is not a company it is a bunch of rich boosters that pay players to go to Florida.  What a joke, and since this dude cannot get 4 years $13 mil he is going to leave.  How awful is that, I am all for players getting paid something but that is ridiculous to pay a kid like that so much money.  Bryce Young got what a few million and actually was in advertisements, now they are not even pretending to be apart of a company it is just rich people with companies buying players with the money they made from their companies, the players are not sales men or spokes people at all.  Guess that explains all the QBs returning, and other players are not getting paid like this.  Curious how much the top OT got this year, doubt it is 4 years $13 million potentially.  

It doesn't seem to be working the way I expected. Just made boosters paying players to go to schools be out in the open. It's a bit of a mess.

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

"The Gator Collective" is not a company it is a bunch of rich boosters that pay players to go to Florida.  

That's not correct. The Gator Collective is a group that basically relies on small donations from the Gator fanbase and then uses that to pay players for "promotional" work. The leadership of the group is pretty dysfunctional right now. They apparently also are acting as an intermediary to facilitate deals between rich boosters and players.

Either ways, that whole thing (Rashada) turned into a cluster. But all the big programs are finding ways to facilitate getting booster money to players, and I have zero issue with it. The players deserve to be paid. They're the ones who take all the risk and make the product great.

8 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

That's not correct. The Gator Collective is a group that basically relies on small donations from the Gator fanbase and then uses that to pay players for "promotional" work. The leadership of the group is pretty dysfunctional right now. They apparently also are acting as an intermediary to facilitate deals between rich boosters and players.

Either ways, that whole thing (Rashada) turned into a cluster. But all the big programs are finding ways to facilitate getting booster money to players, and I have zero issue with it. The players deserve to be paid. They're the ones who take all the risk and make the product great.

I know almost every school is doing it but to me it is pretty pathetic honestly when it comes down to just who has the richest boosts to pay players and that is all a player is really concerned with.  They also get a free education, free medical, food and housing as well.  Also what does the backup OL get, hell what does the starting safety get?  Pretty sure it is not millions so how teammates are fine with that I have no idea.

In an article posted August 2022  "Broadly speaking, the average income from NIL deals for student-athletes ranges from $1,000 to $10,000, however we’ve seen cases where some athletes have earned a whole lot more than that. "  Assuming that is across all sports but still a few thousand is huge for a college kid, millions well very few are worth that.  Isaiah Spiller when this first started was paid like $30,000 to do an interview on a website for 30 minutes or so for Texas A&M before the season started when he played his last year.  That is at least for something I guess, publicity for the website but when a group just gives good players money just to come over, that is a slippery slope.  There has to be controls put in or it is going to get ridiculous.

55 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

It doesn't seem to be working the way I expected. Just made boosters paying players to go to schools be out in the open. It's a bit of a mess.

I agree, what Chris Webber got in trouble for getting free shoes or something, now kids get houses and cars before they have even played just so they will come to that school.  Basically turning into real life Blue Chips and it is all legal.  Might as well go get your Mom a new house, then I will come to school and play for you regardless of the coach, other players, program etc.  Just who has the richest boosters win?

Bryce Young probably deserved every penny he got considering the teammate he is, the leader and with his play on the field and how he performed.  Is this Jaden Rashada going to do that?  I seriously doubt it because very few guys are high character kids like Bryce Young.  That is where the problem will happen, ones that are not responsible with a good head on their shoulders.  

11 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

NIL sucks balls. And my team benefits from its existence. It still sucks balls. This will never happen, but schools should have some sort of salary cap. That said, this has always happened behind closed doors anyways. Probably no way to fix it. 

If they tried to institute one, they'd get sued and lose.