Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

8 hours ago, MagicMT said:

Just watch Indi trade up to 1st overall and drafting him.

dear-tiny-jesus-ricky-bobby.gif

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Maybe I just happened to watch the three worst games Levis ever played, but from when I saw him he didn't look like a round 1 QB, let alone a top 10 overall pick.

Because he's not.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Maybe I just happened to watch the three worst games Levis ever played, but from when I saw him he didn't look like a round 1 QB, let alone a top 10 overall pick.

Besides "he throws a pretty tight spiral", I just don't get the hype at all

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Try to watch some of 2021 films to see if that changes your opinion of him.  Liam Coen believes in him as he could another Jordan Love.

I don't think enough is being made about what an outlier Bryce Young could be. The closest comparison could be a zero percentile prospect from 2000 who was 5'10 and 192 pounds, the smallest recorded QB at the combine. 

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/joe-hamilton

There's a very real prospect that Young doesn't meet those measurements. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

I don't think enough is being made about what an outlier Bryce Young could be. The closest comparison could be a zero percentile prospect from 2000 who was 5'10 and 192 pounds, the smallest recorded QB at the combine. 

Wasn't DeVonta Smith an "outlier" at his weight as a receiver?  Different position but he is obviously doing just fine at that weight.  Maybe 20 years ago Bryce Young's weight would be a bigger issue but if QBs can play till they are 45 obviously QB are not really hit like they used to be.  

With Bryce's quickness, preparation, quick release, professionalism and intelligence his weight should not be that big of an issue.  

40 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Wasn't DeVonta Smith an "outlier" at his weight as a receiver?  Different position but he is obviously doing just fine at that weight.  Maybe 20 years ago Bryce Young's weight would be a bigger issue but if QBs can play till they are 45 obviously QB are not really hit like they used to be.  

With Bryce's quickness, preparation, quick release, professionalism and intelligence his weight should not be that big of an issue.  

The game has changed, yet even within those parameters we are talking about a rare outlier size-wise. In a lengthy draft season it'll get discussed more and more. If you're a GM, do you want to be the guy who took the risk on the outlier? Cos you'll hear about it if it doesn't work out. 

It's also easier to be an outlier at receiver, where the franchise doesn't fall on your shoulders. Outside of that, there are very obvious reasons why you would want your QB to be more prototypically-sized - he can see the middle of the field for one. 

3 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Yeah he's tiny, but unless you're a dunce of an OC, you can work around that. Young is a master manipulator of the pocket and has that sixth sense of when to step up vs. retreat in the pocket. He doesn't get a lot of balls batted despite his size. He has a great arm and excellent movement skills...and those aren't his best attributes (processing, accuracy, leadership).

Young is going to be very good. I see your point that he's a crazy outlier. For sure he is. But he isn't Kyler Murray--Young has legitimately every trait you could want in a QB aside from height.

Weight? I could care less about. It used to be important, but nowadays you can't breathe on a QB without being flagged 15 yards.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

QB to be more prototypically-sized - he can see the middle of the field for one. 

He played against monsterously sized players in college. Didn't have any issues. It's not like the NFL players are suddenly going to get bigger and taller in the NFL. The players in the SEC are the exact same size as pro athletes. The only difference is that the NFL tends to employ more under-center stuff, which can make it harder to get back far enough to see. With that said, NFL OC's can put him in the gun 99% of the time without any major adjustment to the schemes. There are only a few teams where he wouldn't really fit at all. Any team that runs a ton of dual-TE, play action passing (MIN, CLE, SF). There are a few more teams that love operating from under center and running outside zone/PA. Those teams aren't fits for him...but even then, if he's as good as I think he is, you change your scheme to match your QB's strengths.

If a team takes Levis over Young, their GM should be kicked square in the nuggets. I think Stroud is very good too, whereas Levis just seems like a dude destined for "meh." I don't think he'll be bad, but probably won't be more than a Mac Jones-level player (not saying they're similar prospects, just similar in terms of how good they'll be).

3 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Yeah he's tiny, but unless you're a dunce of an OC, you can work around that. Young is a master manipulator of the pocket and has that sixth sense of when to step up vs. retreat in the pocket. He doesn't get a lot of balls batted despite his size. He has a great arm and excellent movement skills...and those aren't his best attributes (processing, accuracy, leadership).

Young is going to be very good. I see your point that he's a crazy outlier. For sure he is. But he isn't Kyler Murray--Young has legitimately every trait you could want in a QB aside from height.

Weight? I could care less about. It used to be important, but nowadays you can't breathe on a QB without being flagged 15 yards.

I think it's fine for us to say we don't care about it, but GM's with jobs on the line will be far more likely to talk themselves out of Young than into him. Murray was thick-set at least, whereas there will be genuine concerns about whether this guy can hold up physically. I mean, imagine him getting Pat White'd in his first game. It would take nanoseconds for the nay-sayers to come out and say 'well, that's why you don't draft tiny quarterbacks.' 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

If a team takes Levis over Young, their GM should be kicked square in the nuggets. I think Stroud is very good too, whereas Levis just seems like a dude destined for "meh." I don't think he'll be bad, but probably won't be more than a Mac Jones-level player (not saying they're similar prospects, just similar in terms of how good they'll be).

Dude, I'm telling you it's going to happen. Not saying I agree with it, I don't. But Levis is a QB you talk yourself into, Young is a QB you talk yourself out of. 

• Like 2