Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Will Levis has looked great this season and is built like a tank physically, Bo Nix looked very good this weekend and throws a great ball when he has time, and Michael Penix Jr is a flame thrower out there, sure could have just been a bad Michigan State secondary but that dude can sling it and if he stays healthy he is a big time up and coming QB prospect but is only a RS JR so might return for another year.  

I watched Levis in the last half of the Florida game and wasn't impressed, but I admit I haven't seen enough of him to have a solid opinion yet.  I'll get a chance when they play Tennessee.

Nix sure didn't look like it against Georgia, but who does?  He definitely put up some numbers against BYU.  I'll add Penix to the to watch list.

If Richardson stays a year, and Van Dyke stays a year, between them and Caleb Williams, 2024 might have some great prospects.

What I'm starting to wonder is, are we just seeing traits guys becoming the norm?  It seems like more and more we get these unseasoned guys out of college that have through the ceiling physical talent, but just aren't ready to play in the NFL yet.  Love a few years ago, Lance after that, then last year we had Malik, Ridder, and Corrall all fitting the bill.  Then in the next couple of QB classes, there are just a ton.

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I watched Levis in the last half of the Florida game and wasn't impressed, but I admit I haven't seen enough of him to have a solid opinion yet.  I'll get a chance when they play Tennessee.

Nix sure didn't look like it against Georgia, but who does?  He definitely put up some numbers against BYU.  I'll add Penix to the to watch list.

If Richardson stays a year, and Van Dyke stays a year, between them and Caleb Williams, 2024 might have some great prospects.

What I'm starting to wonder is, are we just seeing traits guys becoming the norm?  It seems like more and more we get these unseasoned guys out of college that have through the ceiling physical talent, but just aren't ready to play in the NFL yet.  Love a few years ago, Lance after that, then last year we had Malik, Ridder, and Corrall all fitting the bill.  Then in the next couple of QB classes, there are just a ton.

Malik Willis is a trait guy all the way, I never bought him being a high 1st rounder but maybe late 1st round but clearly he fell a lot in the draft and was a steal in the 3rd, had a decent preseason though and could be very good as a developmental guy.

But yeah traits are all people look for honestly now it seems, everyone wants to find the next Josh Allen type who has super potential and upside combined size, athletic ability and arm talent.  The great athletes at the position with big arms will always get hyped up and why would they not.  Everyone wants an athletic QB who can create outside the pocket and pickup yards if they are there.  

JJ McCarthy is a big time duel threat guy as a true SOPH and is having a great start to the year,  Donovan Smith as a RS SOPH is very talented as a duel threat dude and so is Tommy Mellott true SOPH at the FCS level.  Jalen Milroe as a RS SOPH is one hell of an athlete but will have to wait his chance till next year most likely, but yeah there are a lot of athletic QBs out there with big arms.  

5 hours ago, Daniel said:

I think that as the NFL game becomes more like the college game, those trait guys will become more the norm.

My early QB rankings, who else should I be scouting? Anyone way to low or to high on this list?

RK POS NAME SCHOOL
1 QB Will Levis Kentucky
2 QB Bryce Young Alabama
3 QB C.J. Sroud Ohio State
4 QB Tyler Van Dyke Miami
5 QB K.J. Jeffersonn Arkansas
6 QB Jaren Hall BYU
7 QB Tanner McKee Stanford
8 QB Michael Penix Washington
9 QB Phil Jurkovec Boston College
10 QB Devin Leary NC State
11 QB Grayson McCall Coastal Carolina
12 QB Anthony Richardson Florida
13 QB Hendon Hooker Tennessee
14 QB Spencer Rattler South Carolina
15 QB Tanner Morgan Minnesota
16 QB D.J. Uiagalelei Clemson
17 QB Jeff Sims Georgia Tech
18 QB Cameron Ward Washington State
19 QB Jayden Daniels LSU
20 QB Brennan Armstrong Virginia
21 QB Kedon Slovis Pittsburgh

On 9/19/2022 at 9:49 AM, Jeezla said:

Thoughts/opinions on Will Rogers? What's his ceiling?
Didn't look great against LSU, but his OL did do a heck of a Bengals impression.
Doesn't have the biggest arm, but it seems solid.

I’m a fan. Have been since about early October last season. Just hard for me with Leach QBs to really evaluate. 

2 hours ago, vikes635 said:

My early QB rankings, who else should I be scouting? Anyone way to low or to high on this list?

Feels like either Bryce Young or CJ Stroud should be QB1 and 2.  Levis has been okay, and he's probably going to solidify himself as QB3 by default.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Feels like either Bryce Young or CJ Stroud should be QB1 and 2.  Levis has been okay, and he's probably going to solidify himself as QB3 by default.

Stroud is the best pure passer I have seen in college in a while.  He has the accuracy to throw receivers open.

9 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Bo Nix has to be in here.

Agreed, Bo Nix is legit and had a great game this weekend.  KJ Jefferson not sure he is a legit NFL prospect at this point, he has a lot of work to do and so does Van Dyke, looks totally different without good weapons to throw to.  

Anthony Richardson had a damn good game against Tennessee on the road, sure they did not win but he was not very effective as a runner and threw for the most yards he has ever thrown for in a game.  Kid has a rocket arm and processed things well but sure Tennessee is not some great D either, still on the road considering his struggles he was solid and with continued improvement he is easily a 1st round pick in 2023.  No QB is even close to him in terms of upside so far from what has been shown this year.

CJ Stroud has been great for Ohio State but he has amazing weapons to throw to and awesome running backs.  Could argue Bryce Young has worse RBs, Offensive Line and WRs to throw to compared to CJ Stroud.  Still hard to not be impressed with Stroud but Young has been good also despite the help at times.  

On 9/24/2022 at 4:21 PM, jebrick said:

Not impressed with either Hooker or Richardson in that match up

Hooker sure nothing super standout but really really hard to not be impressed with how Richardson can throw the football.  He is already a tank and super athletic, if he improves his pocket mechanics and his ability to process what is happening, the dude has elite ability and can sling it as well as anyone.  

And it is not like he has super elite pass catchers out there but he made on time and accurate throws all game for receivers who did not get a ton of separation.  

If the dude play action passes, rolls out, how you going to stop it?  He can take off easily and gain yards or he can throw it extremely well on the move and if he gets pressure he is big and strong enough to keep the play alive and either run it or throw it. 

For the what four start of his career on the road against a top 15 team at the time, yeah he was greatly improved from what he did previously this year.  Sure still a work in progress but the dude has insane talent physically.  

On 9/24/2022 at 5:22 PM, jebrick said:

Stroud is the best pure passer I have seen in college in a while.  He has the accuracy to throw receivers open.

Feel like Notre Dame's defense threw some curve balls at him and Day and it threw them for a loop, so he didnt look that flawless in that game, also didnt help he was missing his top2 WRs really IMO. Watching that Wisky game last night, Wisky tried to emulate what Notre Dame did at times, and this time Stround and the play design absolutely killed it. Like it felt like Wisky playeds that two high safety look to keep things infront and not let the WRs beat them but make stroud beat them. CJ was dropping dimes into the zone pockets all night

• Like 1