Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

10 hours ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Nate Tice of the Athletic noted that he felt that Young improvised more than you'd expect and that given his average athleticism might not be able to pull that off as consistently at the next level.

Well Nate Tice sounds like a moron. Bryce Young isn't using his athletic gifts to overwhelm college athletes either. He just knows how to move in the pocket--he knows how to slide laterally to get into better position within the pocket. He knows how to reset his feet and shoulders while sprinting out/running for his life. He isn't Russell Wilson, just juking and ducking pass rushers with his athleticism and quicks. It's the subtle things as far as improvising. He extends plays extremely well by just simple pocket manipulation.

I think it's crazy to knock Young for that and then put Stroud, who is most certainly less athletic, ahead of him...and then to go ahead and consider Richardson a better prospect right now? Is Nate Tice secretly @vanS?

2 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Well Nate Tice sounds like a moron. Bryce Young isn't using his athletic gifts to overwhelm college athletes either. He just knows how to move in the pocket--he knows how to slide laterally to get into better position within the pocket. He knows how to reset his feet and shoulders while sprinting out/running for his life. He isn't Russell Wilson, just juking and ducking pass rushers with his athleticism and quicks. It's the subtle things as far as improvising. He extends plays extremely well by just simple pocket manipulation.

I think it's crazy to knock Young for that and then put Stroud, who is most certainly less athletic, ahead of him...and then to go ahead and consider Richardson a better prospect right now? Is Nate Tice secretly @vanS?

I'd wager that tice is holding young's size against him quite a bit. I haven't seen his QB rankings, but I've listened to several pods with him and he gets very concerned about the success of QBs at less than a certain weight because historical precedent is not on their side

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd wager that tice is holding young's size against him quite a bit. I haven't seen his QB rankings, but I've listened to several pods with him and he gets very concerned about the success of QBs at less than a certain weight because historical precedent is not on their side

I would presume you're probably right. But the players don't really get bigger or must faster than they were in the SEC. He lit up competition playing behind a 6'5+ OL across the board and playing in front of 6'3+ DL with NFL speed. He tore those teams apart. The idea that he can't see behind his OL was proven false already, as he was insanely accurate with the football in and out of the pocket.

The other fear for short QB's is often times batted balls. He didn't have an issue with that. I don't think that will all of a sudden be a problem in the NFL, especially given how elite he is at finding the green grass to post up and make accurate throws. He's incredibly cognizant of the pass rush and has an uncanny ability to manipulate that rush while keeping his eyes downfield.

Joe Goodberry and Jake Liskow (Bengals Twitter/Locked On guys) were breaking down tape of Chris Rodriguez on Twitch (they were going through a lot of RB's) and went through 2 games of Kentucky.  You saw about 2-3 throws a game from Levis that make you go wow, but you also get 3-4 throws a game that make you think no way should be be a first rounder.  The arm is big, but he's slow to read, gets skittish in the pocket (at least he did against I think it was Ole Miss and Miss St), and didn't command the offense all that well from what I saw.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sad People said:

What podcast do you all listen to for conversations about the draft and prospects? Or maybe what are some good football podcasts in general? Thanks in advance.

Excited to see Richardson throw.

Prospects to pros on The Athletic Football show feed is my favorite. Dane Brugler, Lance Zuerlein and Andy Staples are provide some good insight. PFF's podcast is current very heavy on the draft if you want a very analytics tinge on the evaluation process. Those are the two I'd start with.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Prospects to pros on The Athletic Football show feed is my favorite. Dane Brugler, Lance Zuerlein and Andy Staples are provide some good insight. PFF's podcast is current very heavy on the draft if you want a very analytics tinge on the evaluation process. Those are the two I'd start with.

Sweet thank you. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 11:36 AM, Sad People said:

What podcast do you all listen to for conversations about the draft and prospects? Or maybe what are some good football podcasts in general? Thanks in advance.

I listen to Journey to the Draft podcast. Even though it is an Eagles based podcast, they have alot of draft content and really don't focus on prospects that fit the Eagles very much, a really good all around podcast for the draft IMO. They have guests all of the time like Fennel, Brugler, and Cosell to talk film breakdown and prospects.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 4:36 PM, Sad People said:

NFL Stock Exchange

The Athletic Football 

• Like 1