Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

23 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

But you do agree with the thrust of the assertion, that Young's and Richardson's WR were nowhere near Stroud's and light years better than those of Levis and Hooker, right?

Absolutely not. As the rankings go imo:

Ohio State

Tennessee

Alabama

Florida/Kentucky

I could see the argument that Florida is better than Kentucky because Pearsall, Shorter, and Henderson are a lot more experienced. But in terms of talent, I'd take Barion Brown, Dane Key, and Tayvion Robinson.

Of UF's WRs, Ricky Pearsall is the only one I think highly of. He's a legitimately good WR. Savvy route runner, surehanded, relatively fast, and quick. Effective slot WR. Shorter is a one-trick pony. He's a big dude who has build-up speed who can get vertical. He's not of much use on shorter routes because he lacks separation quickness, has inconsistent hands, and doesn't play to his size. X. Henderson is another guy who has build-up speed but lacks short-area quickness, burst, and consistent hands. He's transferring because UF's young WRs reportedly were going to pass him up.

Edited by jrry32

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Absolutely not. As the rankings go imo:

Ohio State

Tennessee

Alabama

Florida/Kentucky

I could see the argument that Florida is better than Kentucky because Pearsall, Shorter, and Henderson are a lot more experienced. But in terms of talent, I'd take Barion Brown, Dane Key, and Tayvion Robinson.

I agree with this ranking.

3 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I agree with this ranking.

I'm baffled that anybody watched the Gators' WRs last year and thought, "Yeah, these guys are great." It was our worst WR group in years. After Ricky Pearsall, we didn't have anybody who could consistently get open and catch the ball. Fortunately, we have a promising young group of WRs for the future and Pearsall is back.

Don't get me wrong, Anthony Richardson was inaccurate. But our WRs also did him no favors.

• Like 1

Richardson has the physical capability to throw a good ball into a tight window deep in the sense that it is possible and he occasionally lucked into it.  He also tended to completely miss wide open receivers on short and intermediate routes while under no pressure.  His mechanics and footwork are wildly inconsistent, and whoever drafts him needs to build a throwing routine from the ground up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Richardson has the physical capability to throw a good ball into a tight window deep in the sense that it is possible and he occasionally lucked into it.  He also tended to completely miss wide open receivers on short and intermediate routes while under no pressure.  His mechanics and footwork are wildly inconsistent, and whoever drafts him needs to build a throwing routine from the ground up.

Richardson has plenty to work on, but I would say he can do everything you want a QB to do.  What he can't do is do those things consistently.  He's young, and has very few starting reps, which makes me more prone to believe that those issues are more fixable than in someone who was a four year starter.

19 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Richardson has plenty to work on, but I would say he can do everything you want a QB to do.  What he can't do is do those things consistently.  He's young, and has very few starting reps, which makes me more prone to believe that those issues are more fixable than in someone who was a four year starter.

I mean, the guy was inaccurate w/ some of his throws at the combine. Those are the easiest throws to make. One went like 5 yards over his receiver's head lol. I get it, he can run fast and throw far but the guy is easily the most raw QB this year and has so many flaws. Can he work through them? Sure. I just don't like his odds.

Feel like he's just this year's QB that gets overrated b/c of his athleticism. Happens every year

3 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I mean, the guy was inaccurate w/ some of his throws at the combine. Those are the easiest throws to make. One went like 5 yards over his receiver's head lol. I get it, he can run fast and throw far but the guy is easily the most raw QB this year and has so many flaws. Can he work through them? Sure. I just don't like his odds.

Feel like he's just this year's QB that gets overrated b/c of his athleticism. Happens every year

If he goes top five, I'd agree.  But if he does slip to the middle of the first, then I think it's absolutely worth it to take him as a calculated risk.  I'd want either a creative OC or someone with a history of good QB work on my staff before I'd take him earlier than that though.

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

If he goes top five, I'd agree.  But if he does slip to the middle of the first, then I think it's absolutely worth it to take him as a calculated risk.  I'd want either a creative OC or someone with a history of good QB work on my staff before I'd take him earlier than that though.

The way people are talking, I don't see how he makes it out of the top 10. I definitely agree the risk is certainly more worthy the further down the pick is, no doubt. You are right that a good coach must be on the staff, immediately. His first couple years will be crucial to his development and his psyche. 

15 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

The way people are talking, I don't see how he makes it out of the top 10. I definitely agree the risk is certainly more worthy the further down the pick is, no doubt. You are right that a good coach must be on the staff, immediately. His first couple years will be crucial to his development and his psyche. 

Its also up to him to work at it and put in the reps. That said, most of his issues are thing that can generally be corrected. I don't think he'll ever be an elite touch/pinpoint guy but I do think he has the potencial to become a true franchise QB with his arm.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

That's kind of what I just said.  He has the truly elite physical tools to do anything you want a Quarterback to do, but he is a long long long way away from being able to do that on anything resembling a consistent basis.  Kind of a damning repudiation of Florida's QB coach that he is still this inconsistent and sloppy with his mechanics, especially considering that Richardson's intelligence and work ethic by all accounts hasn't been an issue.

• Like 2