Preseason roster competition - what's your favourite?

lomaxgrUK

What's your favourite battle heading into preseason?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favourite battle heading into preseason?

• Glasgow vs Meinerz
    • Glasgow vs Cushenberry
    • Turner vs Anderson
    • Williams vs Agim vs Uwazurike
    • Griffith vs Singleton vs Strnad
    • Jackson vs Sterns
    • Other / Glad it isn't Lock vs Bridgewater

Below are some of the more notable position battles going into TC/preseason. What is your favourite, and why?

I am purposely leaving RB out, as I just think that is such a unique position where the 'starter' is irrelevant. The snap counts will be so similar between the two of them.

RG - Glasgow vs Meinerz, or;

C - Glasgow vs Cushenberry

Bit of a weird one, this. Glasgow was pretty coy last week in interviews as to where he think he's going to fit this season. He just stated he's ready for competition and that was about it. Given the severity of his injury last year, I'd have to say I think he's on the outside looking in, even with Cushenberry's poor form last season.

I think Meinerz should have a good grip of the RG spot, but he seemed to be more comfortable last year in power man plays where 'thinking' isn't so much of an issue. That isn't the case in the outside zone scheme we will run this year.

RT - Turner vs Anderson

We may as well just copy and paste "RT" into this thread every single year. Turner has experience in the scheme, but Anderson is definitely the more talented of the two. We so often see that Coaches prefer familiarity, so my money is on Turner. But a bad showing from him in TC and a good one from Anderson could throw the door open on this one I think.

#2 DE - Williams vs Agim vs Uwazurike

For me, this is the weakest spot on our roster and the battle I am most looking forward to seeing. Can someone, anyone, take a huge step forward to give us that additional interior presence we need? I am not as high on DreMont Jones as most, but there's no doubting there is a HUGE drop off from him to the next guy on the roster at the moment.

#2 ILB - Griffith vs Singleton vs Strnad

With the shock revelation that Browning was moving to OLB, almost all of our thoughts shifted towards what the heck we're going to do at ILB. Reports from the offseason have been glowing for Griffith. I don't know much of Singleton and Strnad was awful last year.

SS - Jackson vs Sterns

Admittedly, I was surprised to see Jackson return. He's only on a $2m contract though, so he's far from nailed on to a) start or b) make the roster. He isn't going to play Special Teams so if he doesn't win the starting job, look at for him being a cut. Nobody loved Jackson in his prime more than me; that said, I am hoping Sterns finds a way to beat him out.

• Like 2

On 6/17/2022 at 9:20 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

Below are some of the more notable position battles going into TC/preseason. What is your favourite, and why?

I am purposely leaving RB out, as I just think that is such a unique position where the 'starter' is irrelevant. The snap counts will be so similar between the two of them.

RG - Glasgow vs Meinerz, or;

C - Glasgow vs Cushenberry

Bit of a weird one, this. Glasgow was pretty coy last week in interviews as to where he think he's going to fit this season. He just stated he's ready for competition and that was about it. Given the severity of his injury last year, I'd have to say I think he's on the outside looking in, even with Cushenberry's poor form last season.

I think Meinerz should have a good grip of the RG spot, but he seemed to be more comfortable last year in power man plays where 'thinking' isn't so much of an issue. That isn't the case in the outside zone scheme we will run this year.

RT - Turner vs Anderson

We may as well just copy and paste "RT" into this thread every single year. Turner has experience in the scheme, but Anderson is definitely the more talented of the two. We so often see that Coaches prefer familiarity, so my money is on Turner. But a bad showing from him in TC and a good one from Anderson could throw the door open on this one I think.

#2 DE - Williams vs Agim vs Uwazurike

For me, this is the weakest spot on our roster and the battle I am most looking forward to seeing. Can someone, anyone, take a huge step forward to give us that additional interior presence we need? I am not as high on DreMont Jones as most, but there's no doubting there is a HUGE drop off from him to the next guy on the roster at the moment.

#2 ILB - Griffith vs Singleton vs Strnad

With the shock revelation that Browning was moving to OLB, almost all of our thoughts shifted towards what the heck we're going to do at ILB. Reports from the offseason have been glowing for Griffith. I don't know much of Singleton and Strnad was awful last year.

SS - Jackson vs Sterns

Admittedly, I was surprised to see Jackson return. He's only on a $2m contract though, so he's far from nailed on to a) start or b) make the roster. He isn't going to play Special Teams so if he doesn't win the starting job, look at for him being a cut. Nobody loved Jackson in his prime more than me; that said, I am hoping Sterns finds a way to beat him out.

Would Compton also be considered to have a shot at the right tackle job? I can't admit to having seen much of the WFT last year but his PFF grade suggested he played decently.

DE is one area where I'd like to see reinforcements brought in. Derek Wolfe just got cut so maybe he could sign a bargain bin deal to finish out his career in the place it all started.

I know in today’s game it’s really 1a and 1b. But I’m looking forward to Javonte Williams and Melvin Gordon competing for the 1a spot. Williams is kinda penciled in already. But I think some competition between the two will bring out the best in both. 

On 6/26/2022 at 2:26 PM, champ11 said:

For me it's the offensive line, for sure. It is nice to feel like we have a little depth there, but obviously the talent isn't top level. Hopefully these guys step up

I'm hoping a rising tide lifts all boats, so to speak, when it comes to the OL. Having a better QB should make some of these guys look a bit better, but we'll see. 

• Like 1

Interior O line will be interesting for sure.  

The news I’ve heard is that Muti has looked good with some of the concepts and the coaches were pleased to see some ability to move. So that just adds to the competition. Ben Braden has some experience in the system so he could be a factor. 

My guess would be Cush Meinerz Risner Glasgow and Wattenberg make the final 53. Bolles Turner Anderson and Compton as the OT’s with Compton able to help everywhere but C. 

5 hours ago, Winder23 said:

The news I’ve heard is that Muti has looked good with some of the concepts and the coaches were pleased to see some ability to move.

This is very interesting, and even more surprising.

From what I've seen of Muti on the field, I had a REALLY hard time picturing him in Hackett's Offense. That would certainly throw a (pleasant) spanner in the works if he gives us more competition inside.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t know how it all plays out, but edge rusher is the position that interests me most.  Denver already had Chubb, Reed, Cooper.  Then they signed Gregory.  Moved Browning to edge, and drafted Bonitto with their first pick.

Definitely a huge emphasis there and it’ll be interesting how it all shakes out.

Edited by germ-x

The LB spots, both edge and off-ball don’t concern me so much. At edge we have plenty of depth and I expect all 4, 5  or 6 to rotate and contribute to varying degrees. 

I think the most important position battles are on the OL, both RT and interior, C/RG. Risner will start and occupy LG long as he is upright. I’ve heard from my source that even though there have been some questions about his play, the staff and FO absolutely adore him and plan to make him a life-long Bronco. 

Unlike at LB, running the ZBS requires good chemistry and cohesion along the OL and it’s not a unit, regardless of scheme, where you see guys platoon based on game situation. The starting 5 will play as many snaps as possible. Thus I want the best combo of the 5, I like Glasgow at C and I like Meinez at RG. That leaves Cush the odd man out, which is not a knock on him as a player overall quite as much as it is a knock on his fit for the ZBS scheme. 

For this thing to work, we need to keep Russ protected and thus healthy and make sure we have a running game to lean upon and setup deep passes and play action off of it. 

On 7/22/2022 at 1:48 PM, AnAngryAmerican said:

The LB spots, both edge and off-ball don’t concern me so much. At edge we have plenty of depth and I expect all 4, 5  or 6 to rotate and contribute to varying degrees. 

I think the most important position battles are on the OL, both RT and interior, C/RG. Risner will start and occupy LG long as he is upright. I’ve heard from my source that even though there have been some questions about his play, the staff and FO absolutely adore him and plan to make him a life-long Bronco. 

Unlike at LB, running the ZBS requires good chemistry and cohesion along the OL and it’s not a unit, regardless of scheme, where you see guys platoon based on game situation. The starting 5 will play as many snaps as possible. Thus I want the best combo of the 5, I like Glasgow at C and I like Meinez at RG. That leaves Cush the odd man out, which is not a knock on him as a player overall quite as much as it is a knock on his fit for the ZBS scheme. 

For this thing to work, we need to keep Russ protected and thus healthy and make sure we have a running game to lean upon and setup deep passes and play action off of it. 

I feel like the biggest concern with Glasgow is the health. His injury was pretty major and I know he wasn't 100% at OTAs. I think it's still Cush's job to lose and I wouldn't be shocked if Glasgow doesn't make the roster - but I think their isn't much money to be saved by cutting him so if he is healthy I am sure he will make it. 

But it's nice to feel like we have a little flexibility. Cush/Meinerz/Glasgow/Muti battling it out for 2 spots seems solid. 

11 hours ago, champ11 said:

I feel like the biggest concern with Glasgow is the health. His injury was pretty major and I know he wasn't 100% at OTAs. I think it's still Cush's job to lose and I wouldn't be shocked if Glasgow doesn't make the roster - but I think their isn't much money to be saved by cutting him so if he is healthy I am sure he will make it. 

But it's nice to feel like we have a little flexibility. Cush/Meinerz/Glasgow/Muti battling it out for 2 spots seems solid. 

Muti's a left side guy. Doesn't have the movement skills for the right.