Updated Salary Cap For The Lions

Just Want A Title

I saw this article today on Lions Salary Cap space now that they have signed all of their draft picks.  They have $9.3-$10.2 million in cap space depending on how its calculated apparently.  It isn't great but we might be able to sign someone of a decent player becomes available.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lions-salary-cap-where-detroit-142258730.html

• 3 months later...

Not completely related but figured this was a good spot to say how one of the best moves this staff /GM made was not resigning Kenny Golladay.  Its sad how far he has fallen off but man, that contract is brutal and I am guessing he is a post June 1 cut next year for the G-Men.  So glad we avoided that and have the young, cheap WR core we do now. Our WR group as a whole this year has a cap hit of $10M compared to Kenny's hit of $21M.  Although Chark hits our cap for the next couple of years unfortunately.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

The Lions have also re-worked the contracts of Michael Brockers and Taylor Decker to create some additional cap space.  Given his age and diminishing role I suspect Michael Brockers will be a cap casualty next year.

I don't like doing this with Brokers unless we have a reason to.  Are we signing someone? Extending someone?  Or just keeping flexibility and can carry over unused amounts to cover it if we don't use it this year?  It looks like we have $3M+ in space now so why do it when not needed?  Discuss it and have a plan if needed but until then keep as much in this year as possible. 

I am guessing Brockers is cut next year saving us $10M, so always hate pushing money forward on guys who aren't here as it becomes an endless cycle that gradually builds.  We already have money spent on Chark against the cap next year and the year after and will be getting no production from those dollars (and havent got any this year yet either). 

6 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Not completely related but figured this was a good spot to say how one of the best moves this staff /GM made was not resigning Kenny Golladay.  Its sad how far he has fallen off but man, that contract is brutal and I am guessing he is a post June 1 cut next year for the G-Men.  So glad we avoided that and have the young, cheap WR core we do now. Our WR group as a whole this year has a cap hit of $10M compared to Kenny's hit of $21M.  Although Chark hits our cap for the next couple of years unfortunately.  

Interesting bit of trivia: Golladay is being paid more during the month of September than St. Brown is over the duration of his contract. 

• Like 2