Free agent CB Trae Waynes "considers himself retired"

TheKillerNacho

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2022/6/20/23175733/trae-waynes-retiring-minnesota-vikings-cincinnati-bengals

This is probably as close to an official announcement of his retirement as we're going to get for most players:

Multiple teams have actually called, but in my head I’m done. I’m not officially doing it, I’d say, just because I don’t do that ****. I’m retired, but it’s not like I announced it or anything.

Assuming this is actually the end for Waynes, he ends his career with 259 tackles, seven interceptions, a sack, two forced fumbles, and a fumble recovery in 74 regular season games.

He retired about 2 hours after signing here with the Bengals over two years ago.  During the COVID lockdown, he couldn't sign the deal agreed upon.  His agent advised him not to work out, so that injury wouldn't keep the signing from happening.  So what happened?  he signs, then tears a opec trying to "catch up" to everyone else.  Only played a handful of snaps in maybe 5 games and was ultimately released. While the injuries were unfortunate, it never came close to working out.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

He retired about 2 hours after signing here with the Bengals over two years ago.  During the COVID lockdown, he couldn't sign the deal agreed upon.  His agent advised him not to work out, so that injury wouldn't keep the signing from happening.  So what happened?  he signs, then tears a opec trying to "catch up" to everyone else.  Only played a handful of snaps in maybe 5 games and was ultimately released. While the injuries were unfortunate, it never came close to working out.

yep.. he didn't do a damn thing for the Bengals.

People tend to focus on the busts, but IMO Waynes (and players of his caliber) is a big argument for trading a first rounder for a proven commodity. The odds of drafting a bust are high. The odds of drafting a mediocre player are high. The odds of drafting a player better than that proven commodity are very, very low.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

People tend to focus on the busts, but IMO Waynes (and players of his caliber) is a big argument for trading a first rounder for a proven commodity. The odds of drafting a bust are high. The odds of drafting a mediocre player are high. The odds of drafting a player better than that proven commodity are very, very low.

I wouldn’t call Waynes a bust but was certainly not worth the 11th pick. It took him awhile to supplant Terence Newman as a starter but that was more of a Zimmer thing and playing veteran CBs and when Waynes did start, he gradually improved. Probably was never more than a high end #2 at best. MN simply couldn’t afford him, that was back when they had to pay guys like Diggs, Hunter, Barr, Rhodes and Smith so it simply didn’t work out for Mn long term and he was an obvious disappointment with the Bengals. 

8 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I wouldn’t call Waynes a bust but was certainly not worth the 11th pick. It took him awhile to supplant Terence Newman as a starter but that was more of a Zimmer thing and playing veteran CBs and when Waynes did start, he gradually improved. Probably was never more than a high end #2 at best. MN simply couldn’t afford him, that was back when they had to pay guys like Diggs, Hunter, Barr, Rhodes and Smith so it simply didn’t work out for Mn long term and he was an obvious disappointment with the Bengals. 

Yea this is basically what I meant. Obviously this is hindsight AND requires a thought process for where a team may end up in the draft, luck, etc. I get that.

Having said all that....the Rams gave up less than the value of the 11th overall pick for Jalen Ramsey. Again....requires some luck, players to be available, etc. But I think people focus too much on just busts for the argument of trading a first for a proven commodity because even with a player like Waynes who was solid, as you say, was not worth that pick.

And when you factor that in, teams should almost always trade firsts if the opportunity presents itself in the same way that a team should go for it on 4th down in certain situations from an analytics perspective.

Edited by FrantikRam

On 6/20/2022 at 3:56 PM, SteelKing728 said:

We drafted him over Marcus Peters, who looked like a perfect fit for Zimmer's defense.

So stupid.

Incorrect. Zimmer wanted large man corners with the primary purpose of shutting down their man. Waynes was projected to be that; Peters was and is the antithesis.

But good players out of scheme trump bad players in scheme, so it still should’ve been Peters (with hindsight).

• Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 4:09 PM, INbengalfan said:

He sounds like a guy who was just looking to get one big payday after his rookie deal and bail on the league.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 10:05 PM, FrantikRam said:

Yea this is basically what I meant. Obviously this is hindsight AND requires a thought process for where a team may end up in the draft, luck, etc. I get that.

Having said all that....the Rams gave up less than the value of the 11th overall pick for Jalen Ramsey. Again....requires some luck, players to be available, etc. But I think people focus too much on just busts for the argument of trading a first for a proven commodity because even with a player like Waynes who was solid, as you say, was not worth that pick.

And when you factor that in, teams should almost always trade firsts if the opportunity presents itself in the same way that a team should go for it on 4th down in certain situations from an analytics perspective.

Yeah, except for every Jalen Ramsey, you also have Jimmy Graham, Percy Harvin, Trent Richardson, Sam Bradford, OBJ, Mohamed Sanu, Jamie Collins, and Roy Williams. Bad trades happen all the time. 

Is the hit rate a little better than it is in the draft? Maybe a little, not really sure without the data (also becomes subjective, when you look at a guy like Brandin Cooks), but you also sacrifice long term potential and cap space in that comp. 

It’s worked for the Rams largely because they’ve hit on most of the trades (and used/coached those guys correctly) while also being able to draft pretty well later in the draft (and coach them up too). It’s not a a formula that most teams should go out and try to replicate, because they’d probably fail.