Rob Gronkowski Announces Retirement - For Now

3 minutes ago, indifference said:

Hope this Cade Otton kid can run block as good as advertised. We missed Gronk’s blocking when we had to start Brate.

That's an excellent point.

I mentioned in the off-season thread that I think Brate will cover most of Gronks pass game production,  but no one on roster is going to block like Gronk did.

Maybe that Ko Kieft kid can carve out a role there if he makes the roster.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 10:20 PM, bucsfan333 said:

Sounds like he's basically gonna be a FB. I think his spot was safe anyway.

Yeah he was honestly. It was McElroy that would've been a longshot. Honestly, I think they said even college blocking TE's tend to struggle blocking at the next level year 1. Tough to rely on a rookie out the gate, let alone 2 to cover. Kieft's biggest strength is a blocking TE. He'll be utilized and make the team but surely will have his struggles. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2022 at 4:31 PM, kgarrett12486 said:

Wouldn't shock me to see us bring in a guy like Kyle Rudolph or Eric Ebron for the vet minimum.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Bucs and Vikings have expressed interest in free agent Kyle Rudolph. 

"The Bucs have been involved, I'm told, and a reunion with the Vikings is not off the table," were Fowler's exact words. "This situation should crystallize some time before camps open." 

On 7/14/2022 at 11:04 PM, kgarrett12486 said:

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Bucs and Vikings have expressed interest in free agent Kyle Rudolph. 

"The Bucs have been involved, I'm told, and a reunion with the Vikings is not off the table," were Fowler's exact words. "This situation should crystallize some time before camps open." 

I wonder if the Bucs will wait until the pads come on to see where their TE's are as blockers. But this makes sense. I think Brate/Otton/Kieft are locks to make the team. McEllroy is the bubble player. If he doesn't show he's a quality TE that can play snaps in the regular season as a second or third TE while the rookies get their feet wet - they;ll make a move for a vet.