What are things things in life that you find underrated?

biggie.

2 hours ago, biggie. said:

I don't sleeping on air maitress, but lack of air circulation in a tent and the potential of sharing a tent with a loudass snorer is the biggest drawback.

Best bet is to take your own tent, or not take any friends.

Solo camping is fun as hell. I have a spot I go and I've yet to run into other people despite there being an awesome spot only about a half mile hike to the road.

12 hours ago, Dome said:

Pacific Northwest 

I remember when I had the week off from school due to the Katrina hurricane season. My region of Florida only got hit with bands so there's no damage but plenty of rain. Spent that week watching TV and playing videogames. The makeup work sucked though.

Edited by biggie.

14 hours ago, Dome said:

Sitting on the porch during thunderstorms or heavy rain 

people always complain about bad weather, I love it 

Thunderstorms are dope.  Love a good thunderstorm.

As long as you don't really have to be out in it much.  And as long as it doesn't destroy a whole bunch of stuff.  Other than that though, it's such a cool moody vibe.  And usually brings some cool relief to the summer heat.  Something real soothing/relaxing to just sitting on a porch or looking out a window watching an afternoon/evening storm roll through.

And that pre-rain smell is just so good too.

I personally believe the Midwest is underrated. Great cost of living, quality academic opportunities, the change of seasons, and whether you like cities, suburbs, or the country you have it all. Most folks around here are relatively polite and good neighbors as well.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 9:52 PM, Dome said:

Sitting on the porch during thunderstorms or heavy rain 

people always complain about bad weather, I love it 

Staying the night on my grandma’s back patio with the tin roof when I was a kid during a heavy rain storm = 👌🏻

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 12:57 PM, MWil23 said:

I personally believe the Midwest is underrated. Great cost of living, quality academic opportunities, the change of seasons, and whether you like cities, suburbs, or the country you have it all. Most folks around here are relatively polite and good neighbors as well.

This. Hated it growing up, but I bought a house 20 mins from my hometown and I’m right by Lake Michigan. Life is chill

On 6/26/2022 at 11:37 PM, Ty21 said:

This. Hated it growing up, but I bought a house 20 mins from my hometown and I’m right by Lake Michigan. Life is chill

I ran into that attitude a lot when I was in HS/College.  The "I can't wait to get out of here" crowd, but I never felt that way.  I love life in suburbia in the Midwest.  I'm 15 minutes away from a metropolitan area, and 15 minutes away from pure farm land.  I could go to a small farm town (pop 2500) where my Dad grew up for a 4th of July Carnival and a Broadway show touring through the Shuster Center in the same day.  Ohio in particular is well placed.  I'm a 1 day car ride away from the New York, Florida, or Texas.  I think I would hate living in a big city like NY, LA, Dallas, etc...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Daniel said:

Nothing puts me to sleep faster than a good thunderstorm.

I'm almost the opposite, a good thunderstorm just gives me energy, especially if I can be out on a covered porch.  The closer to it I get, the more amped up I get.  When I was a teenager I stood out in one (made sure I wasn't in a bad spot for a potential lightning strike) for like 5 minutes while it was pouring rain and the wind was howling something like 30-40 mph and lightning filled the sky.  A memory i'll never forget, even if i'm not stupid enough to do that anymore, lol.

Youth.

I strained/kinked my neck on Saturday night doing the damn dishes and it's still bad today. I had to leave work early yesterday because I couldn't move my head or lift anything and, early this morning (like 3am), when I was feeling better and hoped to return to work, I friggin' sneezed and instantly reaggravated it, so I had to call off. Now I'm posted up in my La-Z-Boy with my neck stabilized, rotating heat and ice when I can and have a pillow behind it, waiting for the pain meds to kick in.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Youth.

I strained/kinked my neck on Saturday night doing the damn dishes and it's still bad today. I had to leave work early yesterday because I couldn't move my head or lift anything and, early this morning (like 3am), when I was feeling better and hoped to return to work, I friggin' sneezed and instantly reaggravated it, so I had to call off. Now I'm posted up in my La-Z-Boy with my neck stabilized, rotating heat and ice when I can and have a pillow behind it, waiting for the pain meds to kick in.

It's not just youth, but the need for more stretching. Strength training and cardio get all the glory but stretching gets treated as something only chicks do.

Brady credits his flexibility as one of the reasons why he's had such a long career. He stopped lifting heavy weights ages ago.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, biggie. said:

It's not just youth, but the need for more stretching. Strength training and cardio get all the glory but stretching gets treated as something only chicks do.

Brady credits his flexibility as one of the reasons why he's had such a long career. He stopped lifting heavy weights ages ago.

I have TMJ so I have natural neck pain as it is. I stretch my neck daily due to the job I have and how much time I spend on the computer, so it's definitely not that. I kinked it from a sudden jerk while doing the dishes (dropped a glass and moved quickly to catch it), so it's more in the vein of a whiplash type issue than a stretching issue.

Edited by beekay414

11 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I have TMJ so I have natural neck pain as it is. I stretch my neck daily due to the job I have and how much time I spend on the computer, so it's definitely not that. I kinked it from a sudden jerk while doing the dishes (dropped a glass and moved quickly to catch it), so it's more in the vein of a whiplash type issue than a stretching issue.

Now if you have a medical condition then yes, no amount of stretching will fix the problem.

However, most Americans have joint pain because they spend practically their entire day sitting, eating crap and being under chronic stress.

Edited by biggie.