Who do you consider to be the S-tier Super Bowl winners?

Bolts223

S-tier meaning the best of the best, among the greatest of all-time, etc.

For me it would probably be:

• 1972 Dolphins
  • 1975 Steelers
  • 1984 49ers
  • 1985 Bears
  • 1989 49ers
  • 1991 Redskins
  • 1994 49ers
  • 1996 Packers
  • 1998 Broncos
  • 1999 Rams
  • 2004 Patriots
  • 2013 Seahawks

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

• 1972 Dolphins
  • 1975 Steelers
  • 1984 49ers
  • 1985 Bears
  • 1989 49ers
  • 1991 Redskins
  • 1994 49ers
  • 1996 Packers
  • 1998 Broncos
  • 1999 Rams
  • 2004 Patriots
  • 2013 Seahawks

I'd probably limit it to a much smaller list

75 Steelers

85 Bears

91 Redskins

99 Rams

04 Patriots

13 Seahawks

*had they won the SB the 68 Colts, 01 Rams, and 07 Pats could have broken into this list

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

• 1972 Dolphins
  • 1975 Steelers
  • 1984 49ers
  • 1985 Bears
  • 1989 49ers
  • 1991 Redskins
  • 1994 49ers
  • 1996 Packers
  • 1998 Broncos
  • 1999 Rams
  • 2004 Patriots
  • 2013 Seahawks

Did you consider the 1983 Raiders? 

1 hour ago, biggie. said:

72 Dolphins are hardly S tier. They had an absolute joke of a schedule and weren't even favored in the Super Bowl. They were -12.5 against Cleveland and barely beat them too.

To add to this, I feel the same about the 1999 Rams. Yes, they have the 2nd best point differential of the Super Bowl era, but that schedule...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, biggie. said:

72 Dolphins are hardly S tier. They had an absolute joke of a schedule and weren't even favored in the Super Bowl. They were -12.5 against Cleveland and barely beat them too.

The glaring issue with the 72 Dolphins is that the 73 Dolphins were a better team and almost everybody in that era took that stance. So if you put the 72 Dolphins on there you should put the 73 Dolphins up there. I’m also not opposed to calling the 73 Dolphins S-tier

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

Yeah. They had a really dominant postseason but weren’t impressive enough in the regular season. The 2021 Bucs are in a similar boat. 

Really? The 4 losses stick out compared to others, but they were all to teams that finished with a winning record, and made the playoffs other than St. Louis. Also no blowouts. 

Did you mean the 2020 season Bucs as the comparison? Interesting, because they certainly didn't waltz through the playoffs, and at one point earlier got trick-slapped at home 38-3 against the Saints. 83' Raiders didn't have a similar type of hiccup. Bucs also didn't win their division, and Raiders had the best record in the AFC. The Super Bowl 55 was similar to Super Bowl 18, but for me that's where the comparisons end. I'd probably go with your list for myself off first glance, while adding the 1983 Raiders and 1978 Steelers. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

5 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Really? The 4 losses stick out compared to others, but they were all to teams that finished with a winning record, and made the playoffs other than St. Louis. Also no blowouts. 

Did you mean the 2020 season Bucs as the comparison? Interesting, because they certainly didn't waltz through the playoffs, and at one point earlier got trick-slapped at home 38-3 against the Saints. 83' Raiders didn't have a similar type of hiccup. Bucs also didn't win their division, and Raiders had the best record in the AFC. The Super Bowl 55 was similar to Super Bowl 18, but for me that's where the comparisons end. I'd probably go with your list for myself off first glance, while adding the 1983 Raiders and 1978 Steelers. 

The 1983 Raiders don’t have the point differential of the other “S” tier teams. They won their division but their toughest competition was the 9-7 Seahawks (who managed to sweep the Raiders in the regular season).

Raiders had amazing potential but it wasn’t realized weekly in the same way it was for teams like the 1985 Bears and 1991 Redskins

2 hours ago, Nightime said:

The 1983 Raiders don’t have the point differential of the other “S” tier teams. They won their division but their toughest competition was the 9-7 Seahawks (who managed to sweep the Raiders in the regular season).

Raiders had amazing potential but it wasn’t realized weekly in the same way it was for teams like the 1985 Bears and 1991 Redskins

True, but they also never got steamrolled like the 1994 49ers did against the Eagles at home, or lost to a cellar-dweller team like the Dolphins which the 2004 Patriots did. 1983 Raiders also waltzed throughout the playoffs, which not all I saw mentioned could pull off. The AFC West at that time did send three teams to the playoffs, which no other division did. Despite a tough division, the Raiders still won the AFC. I guess those factors I put more value on. The Raiders 4 losses in the regular season is the only glaring knock, but at least it was to all winning squads. I will say that their DVOA is fairly unremarkable when talking about the best of the best at 24.0%, but they won it all, and beat the breaks off a seemingly superior Redskins squad. Guess that's good enough for Al. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

8 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

96 Packers were S-Tier. #1 in Points Scored. #1 in Points Allowed. +246 point differential. Average point differential was +15.3

13-3 record, with losses to the 9-7 Vikings, 9-7 Chiefs, and 10-6 Cowboys. 

That team was unbelievably dominant.

They also dominated the playoffs. I would support them as S tier. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

The 1983 raiders didn’t really have that great of a point differential either. The other teams I listed all had much better regular seasons on top of really impressive postreason runs. They were just good, not great in the regular season but had a dominant playoff run. If the Falcons had ended up blowing out the Pats I think they’d be an even better comp than the 2020 Bucs. 

I more make the Bucs comparison in that they turned into a different team in the playoffs that year, similar to the 1983 Raiders. They won 3 straight road games and beat Brees, Rodgers and Mahomes. Like the 1983 Raiders, they blew out the defending SB champs in the super bowl after having lost to them in the regular season. 

Edited by Bolts223

On 6/23/2022 at 11:28 PM, Bolts223 said:

Yeah. They had a really dominant postseason but weren’t impressive enough in the regular season. The 2021 Bucs are in a similar boat. 

They both have one of the most impressive Super Bowl wins ever 

Edited by CP3MVP