WK 11: Titans (6-3) at Steelers (7-2) TNF!

titansNvolsR#1

We are a young and developing team that lost a road game on a short week to a Super Bowl Contender. We're 6-4 and have some very winnable games ahead of us over the next month. The sky isn't falling after last night. Marcus had a bad game. It happens. He hasn't had the best year statistically either, but like I said earlier neither has any other piece of our offense. It all works together in unison. With the offense that we run, the lack of a consistent run game/OLine is pretty much a death sentence in most cases, but despite all of that Marcus has done enough in key moments to get this team to 6-4 and in control of our own destiny heading into the final stretch of the year.

This knee jerk reaction of calling for Marcus to be replaced after one bad game is just ludicrous to me. He's had his ups and downs but so has everybody else on the team this year. Personally, I'm standing by my QB, and I still believe that he's the guy that's going to get us to that championship level. One bad game isn't going to change that. 

I think we have found a future shut down corner. Maybe not SHUT DOWN shut down, but like Asante Samuel level shut down which is pretty darn good. Adoree was trailing Brown for a good part of that game and was making some really good plays. He knocked the ball out on the long one he got beat on. Sure, he allowed at least 1 TD his way, but he was fighting toe to toe with Brown and I loved it. I think with more time to develop he will be a really great player for us.

Some of my thoughts on the game (I stopped watching after the 3rd pick) I also started Mariota in my fantasy league yikes!:

- Brown was the one killing us, we were literally containing everyone else why on Earth he was getting single coverage all game was absurd.

- I have officially changed my opinion on Adoree Jackson he has proven me wrong. Yesterday he made some nice plays and was around the ball. He got beat at times by Brown but going one on one with him a lot he did pretty well. Jackson to me is our best outside CB now and I am really glad we have him. As effective as he has been on offense, I would like to see him focus on defense as I think with more time he is going to be a stud CB we have desperately needed.

- Logan Ryan was okay had some blown assignments but he has played better of late. Cannot say the same for Sims and why is McCain ever on the field?

- Byard was making plays as usual and Cyprien I thought had his best overall game.

- As bad as the score was you cannot blame the defense for how this game ended up. The offense did not get it done at all. The defense limited everyone but Brown and the Steelers offense at home is lethal.

- Special teams we spent so much time focusing on and it still is mediocre.

- I don't know what has happened to our run game but it is dead in the water. Granted I saw twice at least yesterday Murray running into the back of the lineman when there was a hole and could have done way better. Still the o line not getting enough push often enough.

- Offensive line as a whole has regressed. Pass blocking leaves a lot to be desired too. I can live with Kline but we need to upgrade on Spain. I think that would be a big help.

- Delanie Walker is a warrior but dropped an absolute easy TD in the end zone which signaled the beginning of the end.

- Wide receivers Davis and Taylor have lots still to learn but as much as everyone is ripping Davis I think he will be fine for us. He has barely played and has flashed why he was drafted so high.

- Every game I have watched this year the officials are making bad calls. Do they not get training to do their job? I am saying bad calls on both sides in this one.

- I never thought of all the players I would be saying this this year but Mariota has stunk this year. Yesterday was a horrendous game by him. Yes receivers can share the blame on some of the interceptions but he also threw more than four interceptions. Not known for being a gun slinger Mariota throwing four picks is a disgrace. His rushing game is better this year but his passing is not acceptable. He needs to seriously step it up if this team is going anywhere. I still obviously think he is our franchise QB no doubt no way giving up on him I think he will right the ship.

- Robiskie's play calling mostly sucks. Enough with the gimmick plays. I would be fine with him getting let go.

- Finally a huge frustration so far this year. We have spent so many resources on offense and the defense is outperforming them this year and it isn't close. Offense as a whole needs to step it up.

2 minutes ago, Titan89 said:

Some of my thoughts on the game (I stopped watching after the 3rd pick) I also started Mariota in my fantasy league yikes!:

- Brown was the one killing us, we were literally containing everyone else why on Earth he was getting single coverage all game was absurd.

- I have officially changed my opinion on Adoree Jackson he has proven me wrong. Yesterday he made some nice plays and was around the ball. He got beat at times by Brown but going one on one with him a lot he did pretty well. Jackson to me is our best outside CB now and I am really glad we have him. As effective as he has been on offense, I would like to see him focus on defense as I think with more time he is going to be a stud CB we have desperately needed.

- Logan Ryan was okay had some blown assignments but he has played better of late. Cannot say the same for Sims and why is McCain ever on the field?

- Byard was making plays as usual and Cyprien I thought had his best overall game.

- As bad as the score was you cannot blame the defense for how this game ended up. The offense did not get it done at all. The defense limited everyone but Brown and the Steelers offense at home is lethal.

- Special teams we spent so much time focusing on and it still is mediocre.

- I don't know what has happened to our run game but it is dead in the water. Granted I saw twice at least yesterday Murray running into the back of the lineman when there was a hole and could have done way better. Still the o line not getting enough push often enough.

- Offensive line as a whole has regressed. Pass blocking leaves a lot to be desired too. I can live with Kline but we need to upgrade on Spain. I think that would be a big help.

- Delanie Walker is a warrior but dropped an absolute easy TD in the end zone which signaled the beginning of the end.

- Wide receivers Davis and Taylor have lots still to learn but as much as everyone is ripping Davis I think he will be fine for us. He has barely played and has flashed why he was drafted so high.

- Every game I have watched this year the officials are making bad calls. Do they not get training to do their job? I am saying bad calls on both sides in this one.

- I never thought of all the players I would be saying this this year but Mariota has stunk this year. Yesterday was a horrendous game by him. Yes receivers can share the blame on some of the interceptions but he also threw more than four interceptions. Not known for being a gun slinger Mariota throwing four picks is a disgrace. His rushing game is better this year but his passing is not acceptable. He needs to seriously step it up if this team is going anywhere. I still obviously think he is our franchise QB no doubt no way giving up on him I think he will right the ship.

- Robiskie's play calling mostly sucks. Enough with the gimmick plays. I would be fine with him getting let go.

- Finally a huge frustration so far this year. We have spent so many resources on offense and the defense is outperforming them this year and it isn't close. Offense as a whole needs to step it up.

Finally some good football talk. Thank you!

Fair....detailed....honest... 
Post of the year right about now.

I don't think this necessarily reflects what this team is right now. There were points left on the field, terrible mistakes from players who we know can play above that level (yes, I'm looking at you, Marcus). I've seen I think the best football the defense played all year long for a full first half, that's very encouraging. Offense needs to do their part. 

I think this game at least exposes a bit the level Taylor and Davis are currently at, and dismisses the notion that we have playmakers we're somehow holding back with the play calling. There were mistakes Mularkey/Robiskie did, one of which I still can't figure out, and that's the burning of all our timeouts to get the ball back and start a two-minute drive, then go fully conservative and punt the ball. Only way I can explain that is if they were somehow not on the same page, and it was Robiskie's decision to play that crap, and that'd honestly be even more alarming. The trick play with Decker trying to throw that ball I did not understand either. That stuff works much, much better when you've got the ground game going, which by that point we definitely didn't. But all in all, I don't think coaching is what led us to this outcome. Again, absolutely terrible game by Marcus, combined with other people messing up, including what should've been a very easy TD catch by Walker. Bad offensive line play, especially in the beginning, and especially from Spain who looked pretty badly outmached. There were miscommunication issues, some of them involving the two rookie WRs, some of them stuff that you wouldn't expect, especially early in the game (which seems to continue to be a huge issue with this offense). We were penalized for a delay of game, then one or two plays later Mularkey has to burn a timeout because the play clock reaches 1 and it doesn't look like they're about to snap it. There was also that time Jones turns his head to stop Marcus wanting to change a protection call, I'm not sure if you guys picked up on that. 

All in all, it is what it is. We're obviously not a contender yet. To touch on the defensive play a bit, as good as they've been in the first half, it's still frustrating to see that the more experienced QBs in this league are finding ways to pick the defense apart the way LeBeau is calling the game most of the times. But I think if you accept that the offense is still better than what they've showed last night, we're easily still in the division and playoff race. It helps that the rest of our schedule looks much more winnable than this game was.

The defense played great in the first half but man is it frustrating watching them unable to get critical stops once the offense gets something going.

16-14, then they let them drive right down the field for a TD. 23-17, then let them drive once again right down the field.

Our offense and defense can never seem to play well at the same time(which is one of the reasons we have so many close wins).

It sucks getting out butts whooped, but that's the NFL. Pitt is awesome, it was on the road, short week. We still control our own destiny after 10 games. Gotta love that 

so much blame needs to be put on players, like @Titan89 wrote out. But damn -- do we gameplan at all? Do we identify clear weaknesses in the opponent and expose? Because it sure doesn't seem like it. Great teams need to adapt and gameplan. We bash our heads into the wall Game after game. Sometimes the wall is paper thin and we can break through easily. Most times it's like against Pitt or Cleveland

51 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

We are a young and developing team that lost a road game on a short week to a Super Bowl Contender. We're 6-4 and have some very winnable games ahead of us over the next month. The sky isn't falling after last night. Marcus had a bad game. It happens. He hasn't had the best year statistically either, but like I said earlier neither has any other piece of our offense. It all works together in unison. With the offense that we run, the lack of a consistent run game/OLine is pretty much a death sentence in most cases, but despite all of that Marcus has done enough in key moments to get this team to 6-4 and in control of our own destiny heading into the final stretch of the year.

This knee jerk reaction of calling for Marcus to be replaced after one bad game is just ludicrous to me. He's had his ups and downs but so has everybody else on the team this year. Personally, I'm standing by my QB, and I still believe that he's the guy that's going to get us to that championship level. One bad game isn't going to change that. 

I am not calling for Marcus to be pulled for Matt Cassell or trade Marcus away for scraps or anything like that. I may have been a little harsh on him last night, but I just don’t believe he is the QB that is going to lead us to a Super Bowl. Yes, the coaching and offensive play calling has been a joke, but those INTs last night were inexcusable. Especially the 2nd and 4th. Mularkey can say all he wants Davis needs to come back on the 2nd one, but when the defender is running the route better than your WR, A) your offense is predictable and B) Marcus needs to see that and not throw it. The 4th one was just a horribly inaccurate throw. 

Maybe with a new OC or HC, Marcus would improve enough to maybe be the guy, but it’s things like last night that make me worry he won’t be the guy. 

As for for the rest of the game:

Adoree Jackson has been an absolute bright spot on this defense as the year has gone on. His improvement is fantastic and it’s scary to think he could possibly just be scratching the surface. 

LeBeau needs to go. The defensive play calling and scheme against the best WR in the league was horrendous. 

The offensive line and the running game are just atrocious. It’s amazing how poor it looks compared to last season. Not sure what happened, but it’s very concerning.

I am not sure the answer to us being the team we all want is going to happen this season. We aren’t going to completely tear down the offense and start from scratch but they’ve gotta figure out a way to move the ball more consistently and not settle for FGs.

Defensively, they’ve been much improved this season but it’s sad that one of the most respected DCs of the past 20+ seasons let his defense get exposed like they did last night and kept doing the same crap over and over and over. 

I’ve been saying this for the longest, look I’m be a 100 yes this franchised has turned it around in a sooner than expected rate, however trust what you see is all I’m asking. Stop being happy wit us being a 500 team in like 8 years an almost playoff team, we’ve seen it & been down that road before with Jeff fisher. Who wants to be in the playoffs 1yr, out the next below 500, in next yr, out the next 9-7, out the next 8-8 in next season...

like I want this team to be a dominant well oiled title contending team year in year out. Mularkey is stuck in his ways far as coaching & the team is regressing, though we’re finding ways to win because we’re fighting till the end. 

Our QB went from a franchise next best thing till looking like a game manager. He still continues to start DeMarco Murray & he has no burst & clearly Henry can be the guy if given the chance. He failed to upgrade our OG play, we all new in interior of the OL wasn’t good & we ran the ball effective due to playing a lot of 2 TE’s.

the defense looks better slightly but we struggle wit adjustments. 

44 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

???

The players have played better. The talent on the defense is better. Byard obviously has improved. Adoree has improved as the season has gone on. I should’ve stated it differently that individual players have been improved but it hasn’t led to improved results on the field for the entire unit.

I put that on LeBeau. Maybe I’m wrong in that, but it’s just discouraging when we have improved individually but still can’t get it together. 

32 minutes ago, tntitans4life17 said:

The players have played better. The talent on the defense is better. Byard obviously has improved. Adoree has improved as the season has gone on. I should’ve stated it differently that individual players have been improved but it hasn’t led to improved results on the field for the entire unit.

I put that on LeBeau. Maybe I’m wrong in that, but it’s just discouraging when we have improved individually but still can’t get it together. 

The majority of the blame has to go on the offense, not the defense. You can't expect the defense to hold up when the offense dropped a TD pass, has no running game, gave up 4 turnovers, allowed 5 sacks, and struggled to get in a rhythm with the random play calling/turnovers. It was 23-17 going into the 4th and they finally collapsed. The game shouldn't have even been that close with how bad the offense was performing and all the opportunities it gave Pitt and their elite play makers, it was just a matter of time before they broke through and dropped 17 on us in the 4th.

Archived