WK 11: Titans (6-3) at Steelers (7-2) TNF!

titansNvolsR#1

also, i hope this makes the "a win is a win" crowd realize why folks are so discontented with this team. more often than not, this is gonna happen when we play a good opponent. squeaking by wins against some of the worst teams in the league is cold comfort.

1 hour ago, TitanRedd said:

Our QB went from a franchise next best thing till looking like a game manager. He still continues to start DeMarco Murray & he has no burst & clearly Henry can be the guy if given the chance. He failed to upgrade our OG play, we all new in interior of the OL wasn’t good & we ran the ball effective due to playing a lot of 2 TE’s.

the defense looks better slightly but we struggle wit adjustments. 

How exactly would you say Mularkey has contributed to Marcus regressing or not improving enough? When did he ever play consistently at a level as to indicate he's on his way to be the next best thing? Yeah, he had some good stretches last year, played some solid games, made some solid plays. Has he done it consistently? No, definitely not. So what exactly has Mularkey done wrong to mess up his game? Only negative I can think of is maybe not enough time and attention has been paid to him improving his mechanics, but considering he was in rehab after surgery, I'm really not sure how much could've been done and that's one of the hardest things to judge because we're not exactly privy to what's going on behind the scenes most of the time. His footwork can still be very much improved, his accuracy at times is just way off (like on the first INT), definitely looks as if he can still very much improve the way he reads the field, there are times where he just doesn't look comfortable enough in the pocket (like on that 15-yard sack or whatever it was that almost got us out of FG range). How much of that is on Mularkey, really? It can definitely be argued that they'd want to make sure they bring in the right guys at the lower levels (QB coach, maybe even offensive coordinator) to make sure he does start improving, but it'd be insane not to think that Marcus shares some of that blame himself.

Not upgrading the guards, really? Yes, we all knew that was one of the more minor needs and had we had the luxury to draft someone to compete with Spain/Kline we should've, but can you imagine what would've happened if we went OG before WR and secondary, the two really major holes we badly had to fix? People would've started calling for heads before the season even started. We could've done with an upgrade, sure, it was definitely not as big of a need, especially considering it could be, as it was last year, masked pretty effectively in different ways. Lack of secondary and WR talent couldn't.

The fact that people continue to throw that "clearly can be good if only was given the chance" nonsense continues to make me laugh. Like with Taylor being underused, Jonnu, etc. He's been a good chance-of-pace back, very effective at times, less so at other times (like against Cleveland, IIRC it even got people admitting then that he's not starting material yet, but I guess a long time has passed since then). Murray has looked slower, sure, hard to tell how much of that is or was due to injury, but run blocking has certainly not been at the same level as last year. It's definitely not a clear miss on Mularkey's part not recognizing Henry is the better runner, simply because he makes a highlight run here and then. Murray still has the better vision, is a much better blocker and a much better pass catcher. Mixing them up is still the best strategy. I feel like some games they'll favor Murray, some games they will do so with Henry, and I definitely can live with that.

Listening to Colin Cowherd on the radio talk about the Titans... His take on Mariota is essentially he is quiet and non-verbal which is leading to our communication issues. I agree he's quiet which could I guess potentially cause some of that, but I think it's also that Davis and Taylor are rookies and inexperienced which is also playing a huge role.

He also went on to say that we lack rhythm, which imo is Robiskies play calling. 

What's your guys' thoughts?

12 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Listening to Colin Cowherd on the radio talk about the Titans... His take on Mariota is essentially he is quiet and non-verbal which is leading to our communication issues. I agree he's quiet which could I guess potentially cause some of that, but I think it's also that Davis and Taylor are rookies and inexperienced which is also playing a huge role.

He also went on to say that we lack rhythm, which imo is Robiskies play calling. 

I goes into that whole, if he isn't yelling then he must not be doing anything. I guess he wants him in front of the team like Winston eating "W's?"  Marcus communicated just fine. He spoke about how he will get on a guy when he needs too.

I agree we lack rhythm. I said we have a Reason but have no Rhyme.  I like when the plays work, it is beautiful. But like I stated earlier, we don't attack weakness. We seem to just run plays with hopes of them working.

2 hours ago, Andrei01 said:

How exactly would you say Mularkey has contributed to Marcus regressing or not improving enough? When did he ever play consistently at a level as to indicate he's on his way to be the next best thing? Yeah, he had some good stretches last year, played some solid games, made some solid plays. Has he done it consistently? No, definitely not. So what exactly has Mularkey done wrong to mess up his game? Only negative I can think of is maybe not enough time and attention has been paid to him improving his mechanics, but considering he was in rehab after surgery, I'm really not sure how much could've been done and that's one of the hardest things to judge because we're not exactly privy to what's going on behind the scenes most of the time. His footwork can still be very much improved, his accuracy at times is just way off (like on the first INT), definitely looks as if he can still very much improve the way he reads the field, there are times where he just doesn't look comfortable enough in the pocket (like on that 15-yard sack or whatever it was that almost got us out of FG range). How much of that is on Mularkey, really? It can definitely be argued that they'd want to make sure they bring in the right guys at the lower levels (QB coach, maybe even offensive coordinator) to make sure he does start improving, but it'd be insane not to think that Marcus shares some of that blame himself.

Not upgrading the guards, really? Yes, we all knew that was one of the more minor needs and had we had the luxury to draft someone to compete with Spain/Kline we should've, but can you imagine what would've happened if we went OG before WR and secondary, the two really major holes we badly had to fix? People would've started calling for heads before the season even started. We could've done with an upgrade, sure, it was definitely not as big of a need, especially considering it could be, as it was last year, masked pretty effectively in different ways. Lack of secondary and WR talent couldn't.

The fact that people continue to throw that "clearly can be good if only was given the chance" nonsense continues to make me laugh. Like with Taylor being underused, Jonnu, etc. He's been a good chance-of-pace back, very effective at times, less so at other times (like against Cleveland, IIRC it even got people admitting then that he's not starting material yet, but I guess a long time has passed since then). Murray has looked slower, sure, hard to tell how much of that is or was due to injury, but run blocking has certainly not been at the same level as last year. It's definitely not a clear miss on Mularkey's part not recognizing Henry is the better runner, simply because he makes a highlight run here and then. Murray still has the better vision, is a much better blocker and a much better pass catcher. Mixing them up is still the best strategy. I feel like some games they'll favor Murray, some games they will do so with Henry, and I definitely can live with that.

Look, Mariota is never going to be an elite qb but he is good.  You are mistaken if you think this staff is playing to his strengths.  Also, everyone who watches our film from Cossell, Collinsworth, Simms lol, Cowher,  our own local writers - PK, Gower, multiple guys whove done our games to the social media writers and bloggers, say that this offense leaves very little room for error.  Our players at multiple positions have to be better than their opponent and execute at a higher level than other schemes.  We don’t have the best players at multiple locations and like any football, don’t execute over four quarters week in and out.  Last week, it almost felt like Cossell wanted to say that Davis could be wasted in this scheme.  He basically said our scheme is not QB friendly, there aren’t a lot of passing concepts compared  to Wentz and Goff which is pretty damning. We are built on deception and don’t make it easy for The QB. Go listen to Cossell’s interview from last week.  

Mariota was really bad yesterday.  But I’m talking about what I’ve seen since Mularkey’s been here.  We’re not getting rid of Mariota so the team really needs to decide what to do with Mularkey after next season.  

38 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

This is really stupid bc Mariota isnt gonna change much.  Why do you all get so worried about this?  Time and time again, we see how much this team respects and weirdly adores Mariota.  

2 hours ago, Andrei01 said:

Okay 1st off we could’ve upgraded the OG position via free agency we had over 50 mill to spend. 2nd I’ve said this time & time again mularkey has struggled to build an offense tailored towards Marcus skill set & it’s fact. look how some of the best OC/HC Build a offense around their QB strengths. Ex Carolina & Cam, Rams & Goff, Dal & Dak, Hou & Watson.

watch how the titans play I’ve been saying this last yr & everyone laughed at me & called me crazy because we were scoring & winning, but today it is fact, without a run game our offsense is 1 dimensional & easy to game plan against. Mularkey play calling is very vanilla & a joke sometimes that even the commentators mock us. Please explain to me why do we constantly run screens with our slowest WR trying to get him in space. Taywan should be playing, so what if he struggles, he has to learn by experience, hell our roooie CB adoree struggles we leave him on the field & every game he gets better. Even Rishard Matthews voiced his open about how the offense play calling & route concepts be basically head scratching.

dude tries so hard to force Marcus into playing conservative game managing football, & take shots when they presents itself. I’ve said Marcus is regressing this yr & this by far his worst season & it may be, because he spent last offseason rehabbing verses working on mechanics. But I’m telling you this & you can take it to the bank, if Marcus plays like this next yr & mularkey at HC then we’ll be looking for a QB IN 2019. year 4 is Marcus contract yr & TN can’t afford to fail at QB for the 3rd time. 

2 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

I’m convinced that those who accept mularkey as a HC were die hard Jeff fisher fans as well ???.. man just think how hard our division gone be next yr, wit a Andrew Luck & a fully loaded Houston. & Jacksonville may get a QB ??‍♂️

A lot of them are.  And to them, having the same coach for 3+ years for a young qb trumps all. Even if the coaching staff isn’t developing the QB to play in an NFL offense.  

mularkey is not going anywhere, he’ll finish his contract here.  I’m worried about Amy and Jon extending him though.

Just now, deeluxx3 said:

What hurts the most is seeing the Rams O take off with McVay

we are just as talented, but our O doesn't take into consideration the players we have. We don't build around our players. We try to fit a sceme

Thank you I’ve been preaching this day 1 I don’t see how they don’t see it. Look how the Texans offense built their scheme around Watson when he was under center. A True HC is going to make it easy on his QB as possible. The only thing we do built around Marcus is design run plays & play action. Our WR run the same basic routes majority of the time, shallow cross, digs & post routes. occasionally we throw it deep & try some trick plays. Our run game play calling is questionable, man put Derrick Henry behind a lead full back & let him go to work & get in rhythm. He constantly takes the kid out when it’s proven fact he needs touches to let the game come to him. Mularkey rather is go 4 wide throw a screen to decker a pick route in the middle & a out rout on the perimeter 

27 minutes ago, footlunder said:

Look, Mariota is never going to be an elite qb but he is good.  You are mistaken if you think this staff is playing to his strengths.  Also, everyone who watches our film from Cossell, Collinsworth, Simms lol, Cowher,  our own local writers - PK, Gower, multiple guys whove done our games to the social media writers and bloggers, say that this offense leaves very little room for error.  Our players at multiple positions have to be better than their opponent and execute at a higher level than other schemes.  We don’t have the best players at multiple locations and like any football, don’t execute over four quarters week in and out.  Last week, it almost felt like Cossell wanted to say that Davis could be wasted in this scheme.  He basically said our scheme is not QB friendly, there aren’t a lot of passing concepts compared  to Wentz and Goff which is pretty damning. We are built on deception and don’t make it easy for The QB. Go listen to Cossell’s interview from last week.  

Mariota was really bad yesterday.  But I’m talking about what I’ve seen since Mularkey’s been here.  We’re not getting rid of Mariota so the team really needs to decide what to do with Mularkey after next season.  

This is really stupid bc Mariota isnt gonna change much.  Why do you all get so worried about this?  Time and time again, we see how much this team respects and weirdly adores Mariota.  

So what are his strengths? They've tried to get him in rhythm with quick passes for easier completions, it doesn't always work. At times he's just off, plus he has receivers he's obviously not on the same page with and the timing is missing. Which is crucial. His deep balls have gotten better, but this was an issue in the past and it's hardly a strength of his still. What are his strengths, running the football and throwing off PA? You get the PA to work best once you get the running game going, but apparently to some of you that's an outdated concept, running the football. So I'm missing a bit what are his strengths that they're neglecting?

Really, Davis is being wasted? The guy who's played in what, four career games, and has hardly done so at a top 5 pick in the Draft level?

If you paid any attention to Wentz last year you'd know it was insane how much they were keeping him from throwing down the field because they didn't have the weapons to do so. If that was the offense that Mularkey fielded (I'm talking about last year still, not this one), you wouldn't hear the end of it on GDTs. This is an insane comparison because while sure, Mularkey's system is not the same as Pederson's or McVay's, guess what, Mariota is not the same quarterback as Wentz or Goff, and he doesn't have the weapons they do.

So I'd still like to hear how is Mularkey contributing to his level of play regressing? Not just from a numbers standpoint, but how did he contribute to Marcus' lack of accuracy, timing, comfort in the pocket, bad decisions, etc? Citing the same old thing about look what the Eagles or Rams are doing is definitely not an argument.

1 minute ago, footlunder said:

A lot of them are.  And to them, having the same coach for 3+ years for a young qb trumps all. Even if the coaching staff isn’t developing the QB to play in an NFL offense.  

mularkey is not going anywhere, he’ll finish his contract here.  I’m worried about Amy and Jon extending him though.

I seriously thinks he’ll be gone if Mariota continues to struggle this year or Robinson will force mularkey to get a new OC & DC. Think about this, after next year we got to decide if we’re going to exercise his 5th yr option & if we’ll extend Mariota. If John gambles on mularkey & Mariota again struggles, john put the franchise at risk, at risk in rebuilding again drafting another QB, at risk of him being out of a job. If that so happens. Amy pretty much gave John power over the franchise so I’m sure she’ll sign off on whatever his decision 

6 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

So what are his strengths? They've tried to get him in rhythm with quick passes for easier completions, it doesn't always work. At times he's just off, plus he has receivers he's obviously not on the same page with and the timing is missing. Which is crucial. His deep balls have gotten better, but this was an issue in the past and it's hardly a strength of his still. What are his strengths, running the football and throwing off PA? You get the PA to work best once you get the running game going, but apparently to some of you that's an outdated concept, running the football. So I'm missing a bit what are his strengths that they're neglecting?

Really, Davis is being wasted? The guy who's played in what, four career games, and has hardly done so at a top 5 pick in the Draft level?

If you paid any attention to Wentz last year you'd know it was insane how much they were keeping him from throwing down the field because they didn't have the weapons to do so. If that was the offense that Mularkey fielded (I'm talking about last year still, not this one), you wouldn't hear the end of it on GDTs. This is an insane comparison because while sure, Mularkey's system is not the same as Pederson's or McVay's, guess what, Mariota is not the same quarterback as Wentz or Goff, and he doesn't have the weapons they do.

So I'd still like to hear how is Mularkey contributing to his level of play regressing? Not just from a numbers standpoint, but how did he contribute to Marcus' lack of accuracy, timing, comfort in the pocket, bad decisions, etc? Citing the same old thing about look what the Eagles or Rams are doing is definitely not an argument.

Mariota strengths is a high tempo offense wit playmakers than can play in space. Just because you see us in 4 wide & throwing quick passes doesn’t mean we’re playing towards his strength. Our WR don’t even run creative routes, route concepts are basic & pretty much the same. Mariota said that we need to get Taywan going he’s a threat to score & is special, but you have a coach that rarely plays him unless he’s trying a gadget play. Corey Davis can run every route & line up inside or outside, & all you see him run is comeback routes & shallow crosses. Our Offense is TE friendly 2 back personnel & play action that’s it 

Archived