2023 NBA Draft Discussion Thread

Texansfan713

Aside from the obvious two,  Nick Smith would be perfect on the Rockets.  Can play the one alongside Jalen Green, and the two when he is on the court with TyTy Washington.   If Dariq Whitehead can play the 3 he would be perfect alongside Green and Jabari in the lineup.  When is Whitehead expected back?

Some of my favorite potential targets for the Jazz: Nick Smith, Cam Whitmore, 

16 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Clear tanking team(s):

Thunder

Teams that will be in the mix for a top 4 worst record:

Spurs

Rockets

Jazz

Magic

Pistons

It's going to be interesting to follow this throughout the whole season. 

It's so weird to be rooting for a team that's actively tanking. I hope that we land Nick Smith with our first pick.

16 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Aside from the obvious two,  Nick Smith would be perfect on the Rockets.  Can play the one alongside Jalen Green, and the two when he is on the court with TyTy Washington.   If Dariq Whitehead can play the 3 he would be perfect alongside Green and Jabari in the lineup.  When is Whitehead expected back?

Whitehead should be back before the season starts if his rehab goes well. I love Nick Smith as well and prefer him over Scoot Henderson going into the season.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2022 at 9:35 AM, Texansfan713 said:

Clear tanking team(s):

Thunder

Teams that will be in the mix for a top 4 worst record:

Spurs

Rockets

Jazz

Magic

Pistons

It's going to be interesting to follow this throughout the whole season. 

I think the Pistons will be a fringe playoff team.  My money would be on them still in the lottery, but I won't be shocked if they are picking in the 10-12 range.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

I think the Pistons will be a fringe playoff team.  My money would be on them still in the lottery, but I won't be shocked if they are picking in the 10-12 range.

this seems like a fairly common opinion and i just don't see it. 30 wins genuinely feels like the ceiling to me which is generally around the 6th or 7th pick, unless cade and/or saddiq take huge steps and are dragging the team to wins. i think people underestimate how young they're going to be. marvin bagley is probably the oldest opening night starter and he doesn't turn 24 until march. there's two, maybe three legitimate shooters on the team, and a ton of hope for a cohesive offense is resting on stewart consistently hitting 3s which is more or less a complete wild card at this point

• Like 2

On 9/16/2022 at 12:02 PM, catcheryea said:

this seems like a fairly common opinion and i just don't see it. 30 wins genuinely feels like the ceiling to me which is generally around the 6th or 7th pick, unless cade and/or saddiq take huge steps and are dragging the team to wins. i think people underestimate how young they're going to be. marvin bagley is probably the oldest opening night starter and he doesn't turn 24 until march. there's two, maybe three legitimate shooters on the team, and a ton of hope for a cohesive offense is resting on stewart consistently hitting 3s which is more or less a complete wild card at this point

I agree with your takes on this one. Add to this, the East is probably as stacked as I've ever seen it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2022 at 12:02 PM, catcheryea said:

I like Detroit a lot. Cade finished last year strong, and they were much better with him than without him. He's actually healthy to start this season and I wouldn't at all be surprised if he's a 23-6-6 guy on average efficiency with strong impact numbers.

Throw in Ivey/Duren as talented young guns who add things they need, Bey/Bagley/Stewart are all young and talented, Alec Burks/Noel/Bogdanovich as vets who fit needed roles, then take the ball out Hayes hands/play him less and that's a recipe for solid growth. I don't think they'll make the playoffs but barring injury I'm almost certain they win over 30 games.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

I like Detroit a lot. Cade finished last year strong, and they were much better with him than without him. He's actually healthy to start this season and I wouldn't at all be surprised if he's a 23-6-6 guy on average efficiency with strong impact numbers.

Throw in Ivey/Duren as talented young guns who add things they need, Bey/Bagley/Stewart are all young and talented, Alec Burks/Noel/Bogdanovich as vets who fit needed roles, then take the ball out Hayes hands/play him less and that's a recipe for solid growth. I don't think they'll make the playoffs but barring injury I'm almost certain they win over 30 games.

i think the bogdanovic trade actually raises the ceiling of this team to like 35 wins for various reasons, but there are still a lot of questions about the rotation and how quickly ivey and especially duren will figure out how play winning basketball. i agree with you about cade but there's still a timeline where he's playing at a borderline all star level but the team is so bad without him on the floor they lose games because of it

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

i think the bogdanovic trade actually raises the ceiling of this team to like 35 wins for various reasons, but there are still a lot of questions about the rotation and how quickly ivey and especially duren will figure out how play winning basketball. i agree with you about cade but there's still a timeline where he's playing at a borderline all star level but the team is so bad without him on the floor they lose games because of it

Those are certainly valid concerns. One of the big things for me is adding Ivey and Burks takes the ball and minutes away from Hayes, who is awful offensively (6.9 ppg on 46% TS in 25 mpg). That alone makes the team better. Ivey might not playing winning basketball right away but he won't be worst offensive player in the league level.

Cade is 21, Bey is 23, Bagley is 23 and not miserable, Hayes is 21, Stewart is 21. There is a ton of room for growth. Now throw in two top ten picks, and a handful of solid veteran role players and those guys don't have to be relied upon as much as they were last year. They have a long ways to go obviously but I think 30-35 wins is the most likely scenario.

• Like 2