2023 NBA Draft Discussion Thread

Texansfan713

10 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I get that, but also don’t expect Duren and Stew to be starting together.  I’m guessing we add a stretch 4 of some sort.  Even if it isn’t Bridges, someone like Chris Boucher on a short deal would help spacing.  I’m not expecting instant success but if Cade is expected to be a star, I’d like to see more glimpses of that now.  Plenty of young guys have carried teams to the playoffs/play in recently like Ball, Trae Young, Luka, Garland etc.  I am hoping with a little more help around him, Cade really takes off. 

Boucher isn't a shooter but he'd be a decent pickup for you guys. The Pistons young players would all have to take major leaps while Ivey/Duren both play at a ROY level for you guys to make the playoffs next season.

8 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I get that, but also don’t expect Duren and Stew to be starting together.  I’m guessing we add a stretch 4 of some sort.  Even if it isn’t Bridges, someone like Chris Boucher on a short deal would help spacing.  I’m not expecting instant success but if Cade is expected to be a star, I’d like to see more glimpses of that now.  Plenty of young guys have carried teams to the playoffs/play in recently like Ball, Trae Young, Luka, Garland etc.  I am hoping with a little more help around him, Cade really takes off. 

yeah we'll see how free agency shakes out but if olynyk doesn't get moved i think you have to start two of him, stewart, bagley, and duren just because it's hard to rotate in 3 bench bigs. maybe duren spends a couple months bouncing between the nba and g league but if not him then i'd guess they go with bagley and stewart, but we saw how much that doesn't work if neither is hitting  jumpers

i think cade can be a borderline all star next year at like 22/6/6 if he shoots a couple percent better from 3 and starts getting the calls he deserves but aside from luka none of those guys were all nba their second year and they all had significantly more experienced teams when they finally did make the playoffs. and still ball and garland haven't done that yet

Just now, NYRaider said:

Even defensively you'd have to ask one of them to come out of the paint to guard guys on the perimeter.

stewart was actually phenomenal on switches last year. idk if he can do it for 30 minutes a night but it was one of the more surprising bright spots

• Like 1

1 minute ago, catcheryea said:

yeah we'll see how free agency shakes out but if olynyk doesn't get moved i think you have to start two of him, stewart, bagley, and duren just because it's hard to rotate in 3 bench bigs. maybe duren spends a couple months bouncing between the nba and g league but if not him then i'd guess they go with bagley and stewart, but we saw how much that doesn't work if neither is hitting  jumpers

i think cade can be a borderline all star next year at like 22/6/6 if he shoots a couple percent better from 3 and starts getting the calls he deserves but aside from luka none of those guys were all nba their second year and they all had significantly more experienced teams when they finally did make the playoffs. and still ball and garland haven't done that yet

You guys definitely have a nice foundation in place now and will be a playoff team sooner rather than later. But you're just so young so I'd taper expectations a little bit. I think the most important thing for you guys is just that Cade shows improvement and guys like Ivey/Duren, etc. flash their potential.

1 minute ago, catcheryea said:

stewart was actually phenomenal on switches last year. idk if he can do it for 30 minutes a night but it was one of the more surprising bright spots

Duren is very mobile and can defend on switches as well I just don't think that you necessarily want either one of them having to guard strictly on the perimeter for long stretches. 

2 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

Yeah, I think between Duren and Stewart we would be ok defensively, my concern is clogging the lane for Cade and Ivey on offense. As you said someone will have to show off a jumper enough to attract defenses and if not, it takes away Ivey’s best strength and one of Cades.  Duren didn’t take a 3 last year and shot 68% from the line so I’m not overly optimistic he develops a jumper. Stewart seems to be developing a little there but needs growth to be good enough to scare defenses. 

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Ivey - Cade - Bey - Bridges - Duren would be a super nice squad though no doubt.

I’m definitely not getting my hopes up on Bridges.  I’m pretty sure the Hornets will match a max.  I think we will need to focus on solid wing vets on short term deals to keep cap flexibility.  Whether it be by trade and taking on a contract or signing some, there just aren’t a ton of great options on FA this year. 

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

1. Houston: Victor Wembanyama | FC | France

2. Oklahoma City: Scoot Henderson | CG | G-League

3. Detroit: Dariq Whitehead | GF | Duke

4. Orlando: Nick Smith | CG | Arkansas 

5. Indiana: Ausar Thompson | GF | Overtime Elite

6. Washington: Amen Thompson | CG | Overtime Elite

7. Sacramento: Cameron Whitemore | F | Villanova

8. San Antonio: Dereck Lively | C | Duke

9. New York: Dillon Mitchell | F | Texas

10. Portland: Kel'el Ware | C | Oregon

11. New Orleans (via LAL): Kyle Filipowski | FC | Duke

12. Utah: Leonard Miller | F | G-League 

13. Indiana (via CLE): Jarace Walker | F | Houston

14. Charlotte: Keyonte George | CG | Baylor

15. LA Lakers (via NOP): Anthony Black | CG | Arkansas

16. Minnesota: Cason Wallace | PG | Kentucky

17. Orlando (via CHI): Amari Bailey | CG | UCLA

18. Atlanta: Brandon Miller | F | Alabama

19. Denver: Jordan Walsh | F  | Arkansas 

20. Toronto: Harrison Ingram | GF | Stanford

21. New York (via DAL): James Nnaji | C | Nigeria 

22. Brooklyn: Kris Murray | F | Iowa

23. Phoenix: Terquavion Smith | PG | NC State

24. Brooklyn (via PHI): Gradey **** | GF | Kansas

25. LA Clippers: Jalen Warley | PG | Florida State

26. Boston: Julian Strawther | F | Gonzaga

28. Memphis: Caleb Love | CG | North Carolina

28. Oklahoma City (via MIA): Ousmane N’Diaye | FC | Senegal 

29. Golden State: Chris Livingston | GF | Kentucky

30. Houston (via MIL): Emoni Bates | GF | TBD

Jett Howard will go in the first, potential chance at the lottery.

3 minutes ago, winitall said:

Two very different players though. The only thing they have in common is Michigan. 

I haven't seen him play so I can't make an assessment that was just a super early guess but I'll definitely keep an eye out for him this season.

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I’m definitely not getting my hopes up on Bridges.  I’m pretty sure the Hornets will match a max.  I think we will need to focus on solid wing vets on short term deals to keep cap flexibility.  Whether it be by trade and taking on a contract or signing some, there just aren’t a ton of great options on FA this year. 

You guys should use one of your TPE's to absorb Cam Reddish contract.

11 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Detroit needs to go get my man Obi so I can leave the Knicks dumpster fire in my rear view and have a team to follow that I can actually care about.