The 25 best teams to miss the playoffs 1978 to 2019

TecmoSuperJoe

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/the_25_best_nfl_teams_that_missed_the_playoffs/s1__28046897#slide_1

This article came out from Yardbarker yesterday. Any teams you would have liked to have seen make it? 2005 Chiefs is probably my top choice, and would have certainly rather watched them in the playoffs compared to Jacksonville. I think the 1984 Cardinals would have been interesting than the Giants that year. 2004 Bills, but maybe they didn't deserve to go after losing at home to the Steelers backups. Didn't think the 1991 49ers would get the top spot, although they were probably the second best team after Washington cemented themselves as a distant first. Probably do a lot more damage than Atlanta or Detroit did. 

2009 steelers were so frustrating. blown 4th quarter lead after blown 4th quarter lead. they might of been more talented than the 08 team with a healthy troy. the offense was more dynamic and threatening than the 08 one, but they were the opposite of the 08 team when it came to tight late game moments, while the 08 team always came through. 2018 steelers were similar in that regard

Edited by August4th

5 minutes ago, August4th said:

2009 steelers were so frustrating. blown 4th quarter lead after blown 4th quarter lead. they might of been more talented than the 08 team with a healthy troy. the offense was more dynamic and threatening than the 08 one, but they were the opposite of the 08 team when it came to tight late game moments, while the 08 team always came through. 2018 steelers were similar in that regard

If I remember correctly that was the Steelers team that allowed I think a return TD in eight straight games. Yikes. 

5 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

If I remember correctly that was the Steelers team that allowed I think a return TD in eight straight games. Yikes. 

yeah...punt returns, pick sixes, kick returns etc... same team that lost like 12-6 to a horrible cle team, but turn around and win 37-36 against GB with ben throwing 500 yards a week later...beat that great 09 vikings team, but lose to a horrible raiders team down the seconds

On 6/24/2022 at 8:20 PM, onejayhawk said:

It's unconscionable that the 2010San Diego Chargers are so low. They remain the only team to lead the league in both yards from scrimmage and yards allowed and fail to make the playoffs. #3 at worst.

Im sick of people hyping up the 2010 chargers. I know they were first in yards but no one with a straight face thought they were better on Offense than the Patriots that year. They were historic 

“In a historic display of parity/mediocrity, the AFC in 1989 featured eight teams with eight or nine wins”

I mean that’s one way to put it. Another way to put it is it was the worst conference ever whose best team was 11-5

1 hour ago, CP3MVP said:

Im sick of people hyping up the 2010 chargers. I know they were first in yards but no one with a straight face thought they were better on Offense than the Patriots that year. They were historic 

Fine. They were comparable with the Patriots and had a better defense. They still managed to lose 7 games.

On 6/27/2022 at 4:18 PM, onejayhawk said:

Fine. They were comparable with the Patriots and had a better defense. They still managed to lose 7 games.

They weren’t “comparable” with the Patriots. The Patriots had an all time offense

9 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

They weren’t “comparable” with the Patriots. The Patriots had an all time offense

No, they weren't, not in 2010.

You can make a good case that the Patriots were the best offense that season, but there are multiple teams that are close, including the Chargers, Eagles, and Colts. 

13 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

They were a good offense they most certainly were not all-time good that's absurd. Their lead back was Benjarvis Green-Ellis, their WR group was Welker and Branch, Gronk and Hernandez were obviously excellent, but they were not all time good which is why they couldn't move the ball against the Jets.

The 04 Bills were so maddeningly inconsistent. Lost 3 games by a combined 6 points the first month, couldn't move the ball, but then managed to rip off a huge string of absolute drubbings (the closest game was a 10 pt victory) to get to 9-6 and have the Tommy effing Maddox Steelers playing literally no starters and got blown out.

Edited by Thelonebillsfan

10 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

The 04 Bills were so maddeningly inconsistent. Lost 3 games by a combined 6 points the first month, couldn't move the ball, but then managed to rip off a huge string of absolute drubbings (the closest game was a 10 pt victory) to get to 9-6 and have the Tommy effing Maddox Steelers playing literally no starters and got blown out.

2004 was my first year playing football. My dad had season tickets for me and my brother from 2002-2005. I made every game in 02 and 03. But because of my own football I missed every game in 04 but one….the season finale. It makes me so mad to this day how unprepared and awful they looked that game.

7 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

2004 was my first year playing football. My dad had season tickets for me and my brother from 2002-2005. I made every game in 02 and 03. But because of my own football I missed every game in 04 but one….the season finale. It makes me so mad to this day how unprepared and awful they looked that game.

It's even more galling given how they AVERAGED 37 in the preceding 6 weeks of football and couldn't even score 20 (the last TD was a pity TD).

Those 1991 49ers beat a Bears team playing for the division and a bye 52-14 in the last game of the season.

IMO they would have coasted to the NFCCG if the Falcons did not convert that Hail Mary.

Major * on both Eagles teams on the list. They had no QB on either team.

Foles had a broken collarbone and Sanchez was a 4-4 schmoe.

The 1991 Eagles lost Randall in week 1 and McMahon was abused and out with yet another injury at seasons end.

McMahon was hurt so often that year that a Philly radio station made a 12 days of Christmas parody about his injuries.

No way either of those teams wins a playoff game so they don't belong on the list. Yes that 1991 defense was the best DVOA in recorded history but the other team's defense was also top 20 all-time just by facing that pathetic Eagles offense.